secondlife crashes and wont close

Axul Nakamori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

task manager and task killers do not work. second life crashes and no matter what i do, the window will not close, it is permanently "not responding" until i restart my computer. task manager and task killers do not work.

did i mention task manager and task killers do not work? people dont seem to understand this and dont read the post, then assume that opening task manager and ending the process or downloading a task killing program will fix it. it will not. if you bothered to read the post you would know that. read more than the title or dont bother trying to help, because you arent even trying to help.

task manager and task killers do not work.

Hello, a bit more information would be helpful:

PC or MAC, OS Version, LL Viewer or Third Party Viewer, Wired or Wireless..., was it ever any different.

Have you tried to de-install the current used viewer and remove the temp-files and installed another viewer?

Monti

oh it´s so tempting :matte-motes-evil-invert: just one time task-killer :smileyvery-happy:

Being aggressive in your post indeed doesn't encourage people to help you.

Anyway, I would suggest you deinstall completely the viewer (manually clear you cache files in your system library folders) and download a fresh new version of the viewer as it seems your current version is corrupted. Also you can make a test with a third party viewer such as Phoenix or Firestorm to check if you still have the same issue.

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

afraid i did that already. it happened on my old desktop from a year ago with the current viewer, and it still happened on a different computer (basically equivalent to reinstalling it after deleting every last related file) with the current current viewer

Do you have an event viewer in your programs? Mine is in Programs / Accessories / Administrative tools

In one instance similar to this, my monitor was stuck in an "infinite loop" as stated in my systems event viewer. The graphics cards was the problem. Low internal power on or in the card.

If you don't see any events warnings or error, I would try a clean uninstall / reinstall of the SL Viewer.

A hanging application might prevent the task manager from closing a program, dis-connecting the internet cable or wire can sometimes force it to quit.

Give your question some time Axul, there are many well qualified Residents here. Someone here has your answer.

found it, here is only one second life error. it said that the program stopped responding and was closed, even though it wasnt closed. ill try disconnecting from my wifi next time (although someone i was with on sl told me i went offline after a while). and i hope someone has the answer, the only thing ive ever seen before today is people not reading the post and saying to open task manager.

The hanging application in SL was the function Sleep that was found in Fast Timers which I cannot find in V2 so I can't tell you where to look.

Sleep wouldn't let go of my pc. I discovered that the function Sleep is rather complicated, manages traffic in a sense and exactly how it works is proprietary and LL is not telling.

I suspect that a graphics card update (released before it was ready) started my problems. The un-named company released a patch update within hours but the damage was already done.

The experience has provided a valid excuse to buy this as soon as possible.

ASUS-GTX580-DirectCU-II-ENGTX580-DC-II-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580.jpg   

Ok,

What are the possible causes for Second Life to stop responding?

My first thought is one of the connections stopped talking. One of the two systems failed to reply to a "are you there" ping, if I can say it that way.

It could be a firewall issue, something might be blocked.

Years ago I would get a message while in SL that said Second Life is not responding but the weird part was I could stay online for hours. The message would appear after a near-crash. Tapping the Esc key can escape a crash on some machines.

Many ppl. have this issue with system not responding or graphicscard driver crash with the 2.7.4 viewer update. Me included. the last viewer was running fine a couple hours ago, i updated to the new viewer version and BAM nothing works.

You can maybe follow this thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-460-Viewer-2-7-4-235167/td-p/974703

where people describe the same problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.