SL Voice randomly coming on...

Treyu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry, I know it's likely not the right place to post this, but has anyone else had this happen to them?

I'll be standing somewhere, perhaps in a club or modding my av, something like that, and then people will start telling me I'm on mic.

They tell me they can hear reverb of themselves or that they can hear me/my gf talking irl, my music and/or typing, etcetc.

The scary part is that I can't even SEE the green waves of speech... the little hovering white dot looks like I'm not speaking at ALL to me or anyone else, yet other people can hear me. D:

If I try to click the toggle buttons or manually hit the on/off switch, no green waves show up even then. I wind up having to relog to fix it, and even then I'm so unsure if anyone can hear me that I fear going anywhere where I'm not willing to be on voice and be heard.  :/

Sortof. When it's turned itself on, I can't seem to turn it off. Otherwise, it works just fine.

It actually just tried to call in an IM that I didn't agree to send. I don't know what the deal is, but I reset my voice settings and turned it off for the time being. I have a job to do on Thursday, however, that involves voice chat, so I really need to figure this out before then. :(

One thing to try is setting the push to talk to another key, perhaps the middle mouse button instead?  It's possible something is getting crossed on your keyboard and you might be inadvertently keying the Tab key.  Old or damaged keyboard wires or spilled liquids can cause that to happen (kids!).

Also, what viewer are you using?

In answer to your question, yes, this has happened to other people. There have been a couple of other posts about it too.

It is unclear what causes it, it seems to affect built-in mics more. Clicking the reset voice button in preferences seems to fix it for some people, relogging for others.

It is probably safer to unplug your mic if you want to be sure it is not transmitting, because there are no green lines to show you are speaking when it happens.

@Janelle, The only reason I don't think it's a problem with the key itself is because when the Tab key is hit even a little, it scrolls through buttons on my viewer as well. If it was a crossed wire that was triggering the Tab key, I would likely see the other keys get scrolled through and would be able to turn it off. No keys nor clicks of anything turn it off, however, when it's decided to come on all by itself and there are no warning signs for it being on at all. In fact, it's likely happened more than just these few times that I know about, but I only have other people reporting it to me to know for sure. It takes re-logging to turn it off at all. Once I've relogged, however, if I press my push-to-talk button, it works just fine... for a time. 

Also, I'm using the latest version of Phoenix Viewer because I can't stand the layout of SL's Viewer 2.0. 

@Peewee, I do have a built-in mic, actually. I'm on a laptop, so just unplugging it won't do. I've relogged about 7 or so times since the first time it started happening, but nothing worked. When it finally started calling people I was typing to in an IM, I drew the line and disabled it.

@Valen, Perhaps it is a problem with the viewer then, if you're still using an older one? I really don't want to have to change to 2.0. I tried it and it took too long to get used to and I disliked a lot of the features. 

Alright. I've reset my settings, set the push-to-talk to another key far from Tab (the Delete key- another one far away from where I ever touch on the other side of my keyboard). 

I made sure my input and output was correct and tested it in-world. It works just fine for now. I see my mouth moving and I see the green 'waves', so we'll see what happens in the near future.

Okay, you'll have to forgive me for assuming.  :smileywink:

The next step is a full uninstall and clean reinstall of the Phoenix viewer.  It does look as if this is a known issue on the Phoenix jira and the uninstall/reinstall might help (described here).

(And I'm also using Phoenix 1102.  I'm hesitant to try Firestorm because I also can't stand the V2 interface.)  Please let us know if this helps at all.

• 4 months later...

Just so people know, I'm now on a brand-new Alienware and it's still happening. Just got told I was voicing my clicking and such in local.

New computer. New brand. New install. New everything. Still happening. Only similar thing is that i'm still using Phoenix. Is this a problem with Phoenix in itself or what? Because it never happened before this year. Ever. Suddenly now, however, it's happening all the time. I don't get it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.