Sign in to follow this  
Pammymy

What p'ees me off. Top 3

My personal list of bad experiences evolving around RP.

1. Being judged for not having English as mothertongue. It's hard enough and i do not need your IM's going like this:

You: English isn't your language is it?

Me: Nope.

You: Well its kinda showing in your chat.

Me: Well im trying as hard as i can.

You: Its annoying me.

2. Overcompensated armors/weaponary

Really, the sim we play on is anno 1600, you dont need a full automatic crossbow with lights, bells, communication systems and/or embedded ammo meter.

3. Wrong hud.

I hate how every sim (nearly) uses a different hud, even the same systems with a different simtitle are being handed over. My inventory is a mess.

Ah, 2 and 3 are why I stopped trying to RP on RPing sims.

It seems like everyone's main focus is to overcompensate rather than RP as it is, and the little decent RP I could find wound up being shadowed by the fact that I needed so many different lag-inducing items worn at any given time- all of them cluttering my inventory and being a bother to switch between.

Here I thought maybe I was just looking in all the wrong places.

Your crossbow has lights and bells?

1. Crappy treasure

2. Out of character

3. Monsters that won't die.

Your grammar annoys them? They actually said that? :smileyindifferent: 

Knowl Paine wrote:

Your crossbow has lights and bells?

1. Crappy treasure

2. Out of character

3. Monsters that won't die.

Your grammar annoys them? They actually said that? :smileyindifferent: 

nod, they found it bothering, as they like to type in shakespear style. I think ive got bummed into post-arrogant english-speakers in more then 5 popular sims now.

Pammymy wrote:

1. Being judged for not having English as mothertongue.

Sorry, but that is a cheap cop-out. If you cause a traffic accident, you can't excuse yourself with "but I've only had my driver's license for two months". It doesn't matter how much driving experience you have. If you get behind the wheel of a car, you better be ready for the prime time.

What I'm trying to say is that people don't judge you for not being a native speaker, they judge your English skills. Which are fine as far as I can tell, you're merely sloppy (I'm / im, it's / its etc.). By using your nationality as a cheap excuse, you're implying that second language speakers are unable to speak or write decent English, no matter how hard we try. Which is of course utter nonsense.

I'm not a first language English speaker either, and I've been told that my language skills surpass those of some native speakers. Which isn't much of an achievement if you think about it. All you need to do is read a handful of English novels, and your language comprehension will already be better than that of a native speaker who hasn't read a single book in his entire life. The latter would inevitably run into trouble if he were to join an RP sim, native speaker or not. You don't have to if you give it a little effort.

PS: By criticizing the use of modern high-tech crossbows, you yourself complain about a lack of authenticity. So why shouldn't others? People have as much of a right to demand authentic language, or the Tolkienesque language that passes for medieval RP English anyway, as you have to demand authentic medieval weaponry.

Hi Pammymy:

I can see where if English lanuage is not your primary language can put a damper on some things, especially in RP chat, or to invite english-speaking individuals to critique you. Sorry for the bad experience but SL is fun nonetheless.

1. I agree with Ishtara's advice that it could not hurt to expose yourself to more english comprehension by reading novels, book, any sort of written media to familiarize with english grammar. Or, instead of ruining your fun in RP sims, frequently visit chat rooms where you can chat without the use of the translator so you can build up the skills you need.

2. There are RP sims that do not use HUDs like CCS, DCS2, Spellfire, they are called non-metered RP sims, which will eliminate the need for a specific weapon or a certain minimum weapon.

3. Do a search under CCS or DCS2 or Spellfire when you look for RP sims, so that you do not need to fill your inventory with different HUDs.  Other RP sims may also involve a titler (to put a title over your head) or to to have a dice roller HUD too. To keep it simplified, organize your inventory with folders listed by the SIM name.

For example, a Roman sim I play in has a currency HUD and a dice roller HUD, a fantasy sim I play has a titler, and a combat one I have has DCS HUD. That is three folders

I hope this helps and keeps you playing SL with a smile and not a frown.

Treyu wrote:

Ah, 2 and 3 are why I stopped trying to RP on RPing sims.

It seems like everyone's main focus is to overcompensate rather than RP as it is, and the little decent RP I could find wound up being shadowed by the fact that I needed so many different lag-inducing items worn at any given time- all of them cluttering my inventory and being a bother to switch between.

Here I thought maybe I was just looking in all the wrong places.

Yeah. Next time, try a sim without meters. Something that is text-only and freeform. Or like some places have, an optional dice system that you only wear when you use it, which is usually never.

My biggest pet-peeve would probably be when someone drags you into a deep, complex, long-term plot, and then vanish from the face of the earth. Or at least SL. Or they turn out to be really hard to get hold of and unreliable, and leave you hanging in a place or situation where you need their character just to move on. Same thing when being captured by an enemy or something, and then they just go away and leave you sitting in that cage for days.

I get annoyed by;

-People who ignore the rules or cause drama for not understanding them

-People who start unrealistic storylines and then cop out when people respond in an realistic manner

But we don't have huds and no fancy weaponry either.

Hi Pammymy!  Great thread!  Thanks for sharing!  Here is 3 things that "Pee" me off.

1.  People that leave there mic on so we can hear what is on there television!

2.  People that IM me just as I log on.  Argggg!   Give me a few minutes to get my bearings.

3.  People that TP me with no explanation.  Phttt!

I started a thread a while back called Things that make you go ARGGGG!  Check it out at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Things-that-make-you-go-ARGGGGG-Part-II/m-p/798869/message-uid/798869#U798869

Peace!

1) People who state in their profile they THINK they can bend the ToS, and publish any IM, cause they wrote it in their Profile, that i auto-give consent to that, just cause they wrote it - Hilarious, and mostly the sign of a Drama-Llama.

2) Learn-resistent people who are over a year in SL and still have zero ideas how to adjust a single prim, in an attachment.

3) People who start ims with "hi".. followed by ominous silence.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Pammymy wrote:

Sorry, but that is a cheap cop-out. If you cause a traffic accident, you can't excuse yourself with "but I've only had my driver's license for two months". It doesn't matter how much driving experience you have. If you get behind the wheel of a car, you better be ready for the prime time.

What I'm trying to say is that people don't judge you for not being a native speaker, they judge your English skills. Which are fine as far as I can tell, you're merely sloppy (I'm / im, it's / its etc.). By using your nationality as a cheap excuse, you're implying that second language speakers are unable to speak or write decent English, no matter how hard we try. Which is of course utter nonsense.

I'm not a first language English speaker either, and I've been told that my language skills surpass those of some native speakers. Which isn't much of an achievement if you think about it. All you need to do is read a handful of English novels, and your language comprehension will already be better than that of a native speaker who hasn't read a single book in his entire life. The latter would inevitably run into trouble if he were to join an RP sim, native speaker or not. You don't have to if you give it a little effort.

This is a worldwide platform, it's perfectly possible to cut people a little slack when they're speaking, the issue is being understood, by putting all the onus on people who use English as a second language you're giving English language speakers an excuse to be lazy.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Pammymy wrote:

This is a worldwide platform, it's perfectly possible to cut people a little slack when they're speaking, the issue is being understood, by putting all the onus on people who use English as a second language you're giving English language speakers an excuse to be lazy.

In my opinion, SL residents can be expected to speak / write intelligible English exactly because SL is an international platform. You are correct that it's usually enough to somehow make yourself understood, but not in RP sims. In an RP setting, people are expected to deliver decent role play. Unintelligible English can ruin the immersion of fellow players.

Besides, there is no reason why other language groups can't organize their own RP sims. I know that there are a number of German RP communities, for example. If my English wasn't up to par (which it actually isn't as far as medieval RP goes), I'd frequent those German sims rather than disrupting English language RP communities, all the while trying to improve my English by posting in forums and consuming English media (which is what I'm currently doing).

PS: I don't understand how I'm giving native English speakers an excuse to be lazy? They, too, are expected to deliver flawless, captivating and immersive RP. And if they were to join an Italian RP community, they would be expected to do the same in Italian.

In my opinion, SL residents can be expected to speak / write intelligible English exactly because SL is an international platform. You are correct that it's usually enough to somehow make yourself understood, but not in RP sims. In an RP setting, people are expected to deliver decent role play. Unintelligible English can ruin the immersion of fellow players.

Besides, there is no reason why other language groups can't organize their own RP sims. I know that there are a number of German RP communities, for example. If my English wasn't up to par (which it actually isn't as far as medieval RP goes), I'd frequent those German sims rather than disrupting English language RP communities, all the while trying to improve my English by posting in forums and consuming English media (which is what I'm currently doing).

PS: I don't understand how I'm giving native English speakers an excuse to be lazy? They, too, are expected to deliver flawless, captivating and immersive RP. And if they were to join an Italian RP community, they would be expected to do the same in Italian.

I went to France the other year, unlike Spain where people bend over backwards to speak English, The French are fussy over their language, so the onus was on me to be understood. This bending over backwards makes English speaking people lazy, our level of speaking a second language fluently is abysmal.

I've only ever seen one post from someone who wanted to know how to speak middle english for roleplaying purposes, and the person was not a native English language speaker and yet they wanted to engage in the roleplay, I felt for them because all they wanted to do was roleplay. We should be trying to find compromise here.

Great thread

1.  People who demand you play SL in exactly the same way that they do.  That covers the folks who don't understand what the RP in MMORPG stands for, folks who demand personal info, vendors who refuse to help you unless you are using (insert third-party-viewer-of-the-month here), people who think SL is all about the Benjamins, people who don't realize some folks ARE here to make money, people who forget they're not on an Adult parcel, people who go to Mature parcels and get bent out of shape when they forget thy're not on a General parcel, people who assume everyone in SL is a leftist just like they are, people who assume everyone is from America, people who assume everyone is not from America or should defer to citizens of the EU, people who demand you use the mic chat instead of typing, people who insist on dissing anyone not running around in a prettyboy or supermodel avatar using those stupid AO's where the damn person can't stand still for more than a nanosecond, people who complain about other people's AO's lol, people who scream no weapons when your avatar has a nonfunctional sword or pirate pistol as part of a costume and refuse to listen even when you've received special permission for the person that actually OWNS the sim...you name it lol

2.  Someone already mentioned this:  Leaving the mic on so you can hear their television, the pizza guy stopping by, the dog barking, the kids whining why won't mommy get off the computer and feed them lol, the toilet flushing...

3.  Giant megaprim walls right next to your place which is their perogative if they want a backdrop scenery but they don't have the decency to use select face and a transparent texture to make the damn eyesore invisible from their neighbors point of view.

4.  Ban lines in the middle of the water so your boat can't get by and de-rezzes, and security orbs that tp you home if you wander onto a place without ban lines and linger more than ten seconds.

5.  People who limit lists to only three things lol

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I went to France the other year, unlike Spain where people bend over backwards to speak English, The French are fussy over their language, so the onus was on me to be understood. This bending over backwards makes English speaking people lazy, our level of speaking a second language fluently is abysmal.

English speaking people have the same home field advantage that Greek and Latin speaking people used to have a few hundred years ago. That's fine with me and I don't begrudge them their advantage. I've very much enjoyed learning the English language. I'm still enjoying it, since I'm never really done with it :)

Nobody ever is, I think. I wonder how many native English speakers know the words heterochromatin, aragonite, neutralino, or variegation. When people learn a language, they really only learn the grammatical structure along with a certain basic vocabulary. The real learning process lasts a lifetime and is never complete. Which means that second language speakers who read a lot can easily pull level with native speakers who can't be bothered to refine their linguistic skills.

Anyway, I only expect people to speak one language properly, everything else is a bonus :) If they engage in RP, it should be in a language in which they are fairly proficient imho. Good role play is comparable to writing a story, which goes far beyond simply making oneself understood.

I've only ever seen one post from someone who wanted to know how to speak middle english for roleplaying purposes, and the person was not a native English language speaker and yet they wanted to engage in the roleplay, I felt for them because all they wanted to do was roleplay. We should be trying to find compromise here.

I guess that is up to the RP community. Like a tabletop RP group or a WoW guild, RP communities in SL are trying to find people they get along with. It's not just a game, it is a group exercise in storytelling. Even if everyone's language skills are on par, their RP styles might not be entirely compatible. That's why RP communities tend to be a bit more exclusive than other SL and gaming communities.

I quit going to RP sims because they all ended up being first person shooters... Usually horny Noobs looking to capture a panther in a gor sim. Never been to a vampire sim I have enough fun reading Laurel K Hamilton. As for the other type of RP sims well I have been there wandered around a empty sim (plenty of Gor sims are like that too) and got bored then teleported home... I guess RP isn't quite for me I play myself really well but trying to act like someone else well... I am not so good at that. But those who enjoy it have fun I am going to lie around my beach and enjoy the surf and the sunshine

Yes I had the same experience so I started my own rp sim.

We haven't had a shooting since may the first and generally that is the only shooting in the year simply because it happened in rl 1929 berlin as well.

We try to be realistic and there just weren't that many people running around with guns back then.

As for being yourself, I portray me as I think I might have been had I lived in Germany at that time.

Pretty much the same as in RL except a better dancer ;)

My peeves:

1. People who take it all as seriously as life or death. Whether its English language or a non-malicious noob appearing on the property (still haven't forgotten that one.....), while these things might be minor annoyances I really don't see treating the individual as if they killed Kennedy. But I'm kicked back like that. At the point were rigidity comes into play it stops being fun for me.

2. Vanity/ego/arrogance.  Not even sure which of those pins it exactly, but the sl value of saying things like  "if you have noob skin, don't talk to me", "I only rp with people who have a good ao", "oh yes, you really need to work on your avatar". Who told these peeps that maybe (just maybe) the avatar didn't look exactly the way it looks  intentionally?

3. People making avatars progressively taller, I suspect for the sheer reason of feeling that they have the tallest avatar, but using "age play"  as a good scapegoat. If your hang up is needing to feel "bigger" than everybody just say that. At least admit to your smallness.

Good vent. Thank you Pammymy.