sculpt basic question - haw many faces?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone

I only started learning sculpt in blender and can’t find answer to lame problem – what is a limit to faces,  edges in created sculpt. I`m positive I so somewhere u can make max 1024 faces for sl but in most tutorials I see that they starting on lower level like 1st for simpler sculpts or 2nd for more complicated and later increase levels to get it more smooth and more details. But in my blender (2.49) when I starting on cylinder I have already 1024 faces on 2nd level with 8*8 faces on x/y and on 3rd 4096. Maybe isn’t important till u keeping proportions and during baking script take care of it but I getting real messed up prims after loading into sl L

And second question when I starting my prim in blender from say Hemi or cube grooved…. What I choose in sl as sculpt type ( not sphere I guess ;)

If you're using Blender with JASS-2, you don't need to worry about the number of faces.  That's set automatically when you add a new sculpty mesh object and determine the LOD settings you want.  After that, you can't add or remove faces/vertices,etc....

I have never used a Hemi object, but a Grooved Cube is treated like a sphere.

HI

Thx for quick answer but as far as I know I don’t have JASS-2 and I spend quite a lot time making my blender work (finding proper version of everything to work with sl) so I don’t really enthusiastic about changes now J

I’m not trying to delete any faces but to make it smoother I added 3 level of multires and had like 4096 faces and after loading into sl prim looked crappie L so I wonder about limits of faces or is a limit on multires levels so prim will not change after loading to sl

And again: And second question when I starting my prim in blender from say Hemi or block…. What I choose in sl as sculpt type ( not sphere I guess

Anyway thx for answer to lamer J and have nice day

Thx a lot for help but it seems like im to lame to understand yours answers L

But it is really annoying when I look thru 100 tutorials in last 4 days , can do a lot with prim and texture in blender and still don’t know if I starting correctlyL

So haw to create sculpt

On default I have 8 *8 faces and 2 subdivision level and I create for example sphere – cool I have 66 faces. New I changing to edit clicking at apply multires ad level and I have 4096 faces – not 2048

To much?

“Q. How detailed can a Sculpted Prim be?

* The current implementation samples the Sculpt Texture (or Sculpt Map) by different amounts depending on the "Level of Detail" or LOD. Prims which are

close to the viewer camera have a 32x32 grid of vertices, which drops to 16x16 or 8x8 as the prim moves away from camera.”

When I try to put 32 faces to began with the subdivision level window getting black but it steel creating my sphere on 256 faces on subdivision level 1 ore 64 faces on subdivision level 2 is it wrong?

When I put 32*32 faces on subdivision level 0 all windows getting grey again and created sphere has 1024 faces again cool till I use apply multires and have 41600

Where I can find info on this settings – what I can put when I starting creating sculpt and what max faces, vertices, edges when I finish so prim is still correct

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims:_Technical_Explanation

the first graphic shows you how the triangles are layed out.

Align-Sculpt.jpg

now take this image, ignore the letters and number and pay attention to the dots... each dot is a vertex point, and each one with a red center is the next LOD down. (ETA = Correction: eace square is two triangles, the dots are the next LOD down, and the red dots are the LOD level after, be yond that it's eithe the default sphere or not visible)

draw lines horizontally through each row of dots, vertivally through each column, and through the from the upper left to lower right diagonally through the squares created.... each space between is a triangle that can potentially be a seperate face in SL... you can double the grid size, in an attempt to make it look smoother on screen, but SL will split the values based on the smaller 32 grid, the larger 64 you can make is just to make gradient easier to apply in programs that create them.

32 * 32 squares, split diagonally in one  direction is all that SL will display for a basic sculpt.

That looks like what you should see after two LOD steps. There are eight vertices around the edge instead of 32. Can you tell us what value of renderVolumeLODFactor you are using when you see this? (click the menu Advanced->Show Degug Settings, then type "renderVolumeLODFactor" in the box that appears. There should be a spinner control that will show the value.) What happens if you set it to 4? This can also be caused by failure to complete the download of the full resolution sculpt map texture. Not much you can do about that. Try putting it on a normal prim and see what you get. It might be necessary to clear your cache. If you upload the map here, we could have a look and see it we can find something wrong with it (use png or bmp, not jpeg).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.