DJ Software?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've been moved to look into doing DJ work.

I've been pressured to use a mic.

The problem I have now is finding software that doesn't cost 300 bucks that can stream and allow voice input too.

WinAmp used to work for that, from what I read, but since Vista, it hasn't been able to stream voice and music at the same time. It does one or the other, on a toggle, which can't be toggled while the stream is active.

I've looked at other software programs, such as SAM or VirtualDJ, but these all seem to cost hundreds of dollars. Is there no middle ground for streaming voice and music at the same time, without spending hundreds of USD or using multiple pieces of hardware and/or inputs?

Sure, I could jerry rig something and plug my laptop into the line in jack on my desktop and use the speaker fucntion in the Windows mic control and then all the sound goes into the toggled Winamp stream, but then people can't see track info anymore, and the volume for music/voice is a bit off... Not an ideal solution.

So, to reiterate my question- anyone know of any software under a $50 USD price tag that streams both voice and music?

Monti Messmer wrote:

Hi, you can do alot with winamp and plugins. The easy DJ job not the scratching maybe but i guess u find plugins for that too!

Cost nothing and it worked for me on my first months as SL-DJ

Monti

You know any plugins? I didn't notice any that seemed to do the job, but my search fu may have been weak.

Ok I really have to clerify this, what type of DJ do you wnat to be? 

DJing - Beat maching in perfect sync, and mixing 

Radio broadcasting - Is what everyone else does in SL that is your standard playlist DJ and dont get me wrong there is a few good ones but there isnt a short supply, if you want to even think about making a decent turn over for Lindens you have to learn to beat match and all the other fun stuff.

VDJ / Traktor = DJ software that lets you broadcast VDJ starts at 50$ (no mic) to 200$ (use of hardware) Traktor ranges from 20$ - 100$ 

Broadcasting Software = Winamp + plugins Free  // Sam 50 - 600 // VDJ set on cruise control (autoplaylist) and a few others 

One thing I recomend is you make sure you get shoutcast enabled software as icecast sucks hard

For now, I only need to radio broadcast. Stream some music with voice. That's what I've been asked to do.

If I find myself getting into it, then I'd get the software and hardware to sync and mix and beat match, etc.

Then I'd recomend winamp with plugins Ill look around later and wait for a friend to jump on and give you what he uses, but SAM is awesome if your willing to shell out 100$ for the cheapest version that has voice enabled with streaming, as it is multi effiecent and you only need to add stream info once it holds up to 5 diffrent streams as well :D 

kryptic Zarco wrote:

Then I'd recomend winamp with plugins Ill look around later and wait for a friend to jump on and give you what he uses, but SAM is awesome if your willing to shell out 100$ for the cheapest version that has voice enabled with streaming, as it is multi effiecent and you only need to add stream info once it holds up to 5 diffrent streams as well
:D

I appreciate it. I'm trying to keep my expenses below 50 $, because I don't know if it's gonna make me anything

I been djing over five years I have and used , virtual dj, sam, and most of all the other dj programs that allow streaming with voice, but to be honest you cannot beat winamp, if you use the right plug in, you can  voice, fade the songs, and have two

winamps runnning two create two virtual decks, and all this cost nothing, there is a program called amok which will rip

your playlist into a folder with all the mp3 in your play list. at the end of the day, winamp does the job, and my customers dont know what software am using, try it its free.

greek Wingtips wrote:

I been djing over five years I have and used , virtual dj, sam, and most of all the other dj programs that allow streaming with voice, but to be honest you cannot beat winamp, if you use the right plug in, you can  voice, fade the songs, and have two

winamps runnning two create two virtual decks, and all this cost nothing, there is a program called amok which will rip

your playlist into a folder with all the mp3 in your play list. at the end of the day, winamp does the job, and my customers dont know what software am using, try it its free.

I'm still trying to find any plugins to allow voice. None of the guides online have been updated since XP it seems like.

• 1 month later...

I've been DJing for years in SL as well, and even though I'm catching a little disparagement in reference to we who use a playlist, I've never had any complaints about my sets.  It's not as simple as autopilot, and anyone who thinks so is a **bleep**ty DJ.  There's an art to constructing a playlist that has a flow from one track to the next, that builds to a climax and cools you off, that has a logical progression with no jarring genre or tempo changes, that has nothing to do with random songs thrown on in a autoplayed set list as I guess the ones who are giving us all bad names do.  Also, the personality of the DJ is almost as important as what they play.

Now that my offendedness is satisfied, let me say that SAM is far superior to WInamp, and some places will not hire you with Winamp because it's thought of as being, well, amatureish.  There are ways of obtaining SAM that don't cost anything at all *cough* though I'd NEVER suggest those.  Of course.  I just want you to be prepared for some people to be a bit disdainful of your broadcaster choice if you go Winamp.

• 1 month later...

I use Ingenious Streaming Media DJ. It's available on XStreet for about $20US. It works well on my 32-bit systems running XP, but does not work on my x64 running XP. has some limitations with metadata, but if you know your music and have it sorted in your system, it works very well at an affordable price.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have used both MIXXX (works under Windows 7, Mac and Linux) and IDJC (Linux/Ubuntu based).  Both are free.

MIXXX is simple to set up and use and it works well.

I use IDJC most of the time now.  It was a fight to set up (mainly because a lot of the older posts that tell you what to do no longer apply).  But once you get it set up, it is nice.  AND you can even patch Skype into your stream, so you can have a "GUEST DJ".

The other thing I like about IDJC is that it lets you put controls into your playlist (so you can stop and make and announcement, etc.).  It does not have a music manager, so it is a little harder to 'find' music, but you can drag and drop songs from a directory.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.