Once a week...

Blueray Darkes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Display names... Great, innotative, and pretty useful for roleplayers as it saves them using an RP tool, because they can change their display name. Wait there's an issue there and the only one I can think of, you can only change your display name once a week.

Why only once a week?

An active roleplayer has more than one character and this requires an often change in display name, depending on what character they are using and for how long. This once a week restriction prevents a regular change, so if someone uses a character once changes display name and then goes back to their main character... They have to wait a week a whole entire week, to be able to change that name again and in the meantime have to rely on lag inducing roleplay tools.

For instance my main two characters are called Blueray Darkes and Ara Luiniel, but I have the name Ara in brackets (looks like this Blueray 'Ara' Darkes) so I don't have to keep changing my name. However I changed to a completely different character, and now I have to wait an entire week in order to either use that character again or put in the middle name.

Why not once a day? Or even twice a week? Every three days?

Meh why do I even bother asking its not like Linden Labs will ever listen

Yeah I dont agree with it either, we should be able to change it as the mood hits us. Sometimes I want to set mine to say "Bactine AFK" but I would look pretty stupid walking around SL saying that I'm AFK when I'm not.

Personally all those items, scripts, inventory etc doesn't need to be updated to have your display name, if they left all items with just with the USER name it would be easier to find out who owns what. Specially if you got a griefer on a sim and they got a display name, because search doesn't find people by display name it finds them by user name. Sims don't ban people by display name they ban them by user name, so all that item, script updating is pointless a waste of resources and a waste of time.

I want to be able to change my name more than once a week, screw the updating its holding me back!

But then it's not only you that would change their name all the time, adding a lot of stress to an already challenged system.

Why can't you use group tags to specify what character you are at any given moment? There's also those titler things that float text above your head... it may not be the most graceful way to achieve your objective, but it does work.

If you really want to push the issue then file a Jira about it, that way you know the Lindens will see it. Hell, you may get enough people to support it that they'll reconsider the restriction.

Good luck... Dres

Cos we all want to reduce lag not increase it :) The more scripts you're wearing like titlers and RP tools, the more lag you are producing in that sim. Its why I love the idea of display names it frees me of needing an RP tool, but the restriction of once a week disallows me to change when I need to.

Thank you I might try a JIRA

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Yes, it seems like a huge waste to update all that stuff... unless there's a plan to make further changes that would require it.  Although I don't role play.  Maybe it's important to find an item on the ground and upon inspection discover that Captain Kirk has dropped his communicator.

Seems to me that in that scenario whomever was playing Captain Kirk would have stated that they dropped their communicator and didn't realize it. I could be wrong. sorry-053.gif

...Dres

Blueray Darkes wrote:

Cos we all want to reduce lag not increase it
:)
The more scripts you're wearing like titlers and RP tools, the more lag you are producing in that sim. Its why I love the idea of display names it frees me of needing an RP tool, but the restriction of once a week disallows me to change when I need to.

Thank you I might try a JIRA

That's true.

If you start a Jira post it here so people will know about it.

...Dres

Me too. I also like the idea of being able to set a regular display name (which would show in the system and can only be changed once a week) and an alternate RP display name (which could appear above your head while it's activated and can be changed at will from a drop down menu or something). This would save the system from having to process the changes every time a name is changed.

Maybe I should post a comment stating that, though I'm not even sure if changing display names is really a drain on resources. Maybe someone who knows for sure will let us know. *waves at someone who knows*

...Dres

ETA: some stuff

Display names are stuck serving two contradictory purpose because of how badly LL's goofed up with singe-word usernames.

1. They are usernames for all new people now who otherwise would all end up being Billybob729. For these people the more often display names can change, the more confusing the Grid becomes - even if they themselves want to change theirs. While the computer can track who a user is across changes, human-users playing this MMO will get confused by inconsistent names.

2. They are RP titlers for anyone who RPs. For these people, the more often they can change, the better able they are to take advantage of RP options and situations.

I think group number 1 is a more pressing concern, so LLs limited the frequency of change.

I hate to run in and be a 'thiser' but..

THIS so hard. The old naming system was perfectly fine. Seems to me they broke a perfectly good thing while trying to make it better.

Like 'fixing' a dusty clock by pushing it off a balcony, if you ask me... but to each their own, I suppose. I know some people like it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.