I'm buying a new laptop - with graphics - NvidiaGF310M (Optimus) gDDR3 512MB- will this work for SL

feugue1488303203

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

The card will work.  It's the lowest performing card in the 300 series so it probably won't provide the performance one might expect from a new computer.  I'm pretty sure you can run SL at medium graphics settings and draw distance at 96 meters (or lower) with acceptable frame rates and lag.  It won't handle some to the new features LL has recently introduced such as "shadows".

Make sure you get the latest drivers when you get your laptop.  And try avoid connecting to SL via a wireless connection.

From what I can see, Peggy is right.  The card is acceptable, but not a top performer.  I suspect that you will be wishing for an upgrade within a year or so, especially once mesh objects are released to the main grid in SL this fall.  As a general rule, the two components that make the greatest difference to your SL experience are the graphics card and the monitor, so it wise to spend money up front to get the best that you can afford.  Be sure, though, that you also have an adequate power supply and more than adequate ventilation for whatever graphics card you go with.  SL puts a heavy rendering load on graphics cards, which then consume a lot of power and put out enough heat to damage your system if you don't have good heat sinks and fans.  It's best to think about these things before you buy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.