The tutorial and test

Gearsawe Stonecutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is just hearsay basically, but I heard it is basically just this:

1. Identify yourself solidly

2. Promise not to steal IP

Maybe wrapped in a bit more blah blah & links to useful resources or something....

This step makes sure all legal penalties & lawsuits come back to the uploader, not Linden Lab, when the inevetable ripfest begins. It also allows Linden Lab to simply disappear all accounts involved in mesh theivery.

Pure awesome if this is truly how it will function.

As long as you're an honest creator, I think it will be not a problem at all :matte-motes-asleep-2:

I am very hopeful this is how it will work, otherwise I wouldn't expect SL to be around a couple months after mesh import opens as Linden Lab would be torn apart by lawyers from the likes of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Disney, Blizzard, etc when all these companies 3D assets begin to be sold & virally distributed here.

"This step makes sure all legal penalties & lawsuits come back to the uploader, not Linden Lab, when the inevetable ripfest begins. "

It´s not so easy. If Linden Lab cannot deliver *valid" identities of uploaders, or if the uploaders will be located in a country which did not sign international copyright law treaties, Linden Lab will be held liable. There will be some legal problems there, anyway, cause Linden Lab *charges* for uploads. Second Life is not a "safe heaven".

Allowing unrevised model imports is a risk, and we all will be endangered to a certain degree, unfortunately. Not only the uploaders. And if these people are smart enough they will get away easily while we will not be so lucky in worst case.

Alright, who's going to volunteer to answer them all wrong and see what happens?

Is question 8 is ambiguous? Presumably if a well known romantic song is old enough, it can be out of copyright and thus in the public domain. But then the recording would not be so old (unless it's on a wax cylinder). Do you have copyright on your particular arrangement and/or  recording of a song whose original copyright has expired, such as an old nursery rhyme?

By the way, the new server requiring the test is called DRTSIM. I suppose that's Digital Rights Test SIMulator.

Or ir could be Death to Resident Thieves Stealing Infringing Meshes. :matte-motes-agape:

Any other offers?

If the original song is "traditional" or otherwise in the public domain, anyone can cover it but any individual recording is still under copyright. I wouldnt be allowed to market a SL fiddle that plays either Dave Swarbricks or Ric Sanders version of "the 4-poster bed" unless I contacted the rights holder (in their case likely the record label) and got permission to do so but its the recording that is others intellectual property not the original tune.. so if I were a decent enough fiddler myself to make a recording of it that I held the rights to then seling a fiddle that played that version would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.