Help me find good hair without evil scripts - Hair Fair 2011

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure if I should post this thread to My Avatar or Fashion. Here's my problem.

I have a favorite hairstyle from a well-known designer, but it's heavily scripted & No Modify. I'd like to find a similar hairstyle, free or inexpensive, either unscripted or with a removable script. It's basicaly just a messy updo that represnts my avatar being a little "off" & unpredictable.

avatarAlycia in Mrs. Lovett dress from 2.png

Cool photo! 

Until you find a suitable replacement, I would suggest first see if one of the scripts options is to delete itself.

If not and you totally love the hair, contact the creator and see if they will offer you a scriptless version.

Lastly, there is a hair fair going on at the moment until the 15th if you want to go check that out and get some free samples and free demos.

Thanks. I can't remove the scripts in the hair shown, but I did go to the Hair Fair & straight away found a cute, loose double braid in 4 colors for $L 300.

I love the freebies & dollarbies at the fair, but the lag was really hitting me hard last night. I had my ARC down below 500 even with my new hair, but was seeing other people with ARCs in the 2000s-5000s. I could barely move & wanted to smack those folks, though of course I didn't.

I don't even pay attention to ARC anymore. It meant little back when it was all the rage and it still means little now. It was just by chance that if you had a high ARC you probably had a high script count and taking off some of the junk you were wearing would inevitably lower it making things better for yourself and everyone around you.

Now that we have a way to count script memory usage, an informed fashionista can put themself together with less scripts to begin with, making the world a better place.

So... when do we get to see a pic of you in your new hair? Don't hold back on us. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I know, right? I finally just turned my arc numbers off and continued to waddle about
:)

I stopped going to Hair Faire in 2009 because its too laggy of an event...

That was back when I was buying hair from more than just one vendor - so it was very frustrating that I couldn't handle the place.

As scripted hair became all the rage right around that 2009 event, and continued for about half of 2010 until the tides of outrage and awareness started to shift - but is still way too common now - I can't imagine how bad hair faire is this year...

(I find it curious that scripted hair with a script in every prim became popular right as the linkset method that made it no longer needed came out... and yet today, this long after linkset came out, we are -STILL- fighting merchants and scripters that haven't figured out the proper way to do a resizer.)

This is my first time going and I think it is great. I was able to see a lot of different styles and creators and get a bunch of demos and gifts. The layout is pretty cool too, it's a really long boardwalk that you just meander down past all the little shops and it loops around all four sims so you don't get lost. At first we were like, oh no, where do we go! lol. It's fun.

Lol - was just about to make an exception and go to the Hair Faire, and then I got an email (offline message) with yet

MORE FREAKING HAIR FAIRE SPAM!!!

How did I get on their list anyway?

Did I click some 'join the hair faire' thing back in 2009, and they're lazy in cleaning out old entries, or what?

EDIT: Looks like I was offline during last years spamfest of my email from them too. Its from the same person and the same slurl both years - maybe there's only a single prim or user I need to mute to end this and stop my hatred of this event... :)

I was at Hair Fair a few days ago, the lag was not as bad as I thought it would be. I wore a PG mannequin skin and nothing else. Aside from a few self-centered fashionistas, most people there were also ditching their AOs, accessories, 500 prim shoes, etc and wearing either no or low prims, but I did see one person there who had an arc of over 16,000 (elaborate hair and dress with a million scripts, WHY do people even wear a hair to Hair Fair anyway since you're just going to be trying on hair? LOL). The good news is there are free low lag outfits provided at the Hair Fair for people to wear while they are shopping and I saw alot of people making use of it. There was lag but it wasn't  the most laggy event I've been to.

Took an alt there. Like moving through molassis. Now I get to see if the alt gets added to the spam thing - but it will take a year to find out I guess.

Only wanted to see if I could find a dreads seller - found one person with braids that worked with that alt, so grabbed those.

But I don't see many people trying stuff on. Most just try to run past as many shops as lag allows them to  - stopping just long enough to let the product images rez. If they see something they're partial to, then they go buy it, and get back to the run through molassis lag.

The worst thing was landing points were forced - so double click to teleport didn't work - which just means you have to move through a lot of empty space at a snail's pace.

Not sure what the source of the lag was. The products were not rezzed - so the hair wasn't it. There were actually less vendors out than the average SL-mall - and most seemed of a modern low lag variety. I can only guess some of the shopper brought the lag to the place.

I didn't check about land to see if scripts were disabled for non-group members (ie: shoppers) - if not, that might have been the issue.

The hair I grabbed was copy/mod unscripted. So I'll name and congrat the maker:   Discord Designs ( http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Moonsong/172/213/25 ). They make hair in many styles, amazing looks, and no scripts. From braids to straight to the unusual. They made me wish I had a bearded male AV too - some amazing prim beard designs for the guys. Even some cool designs of guys who suffer from male pattern baldness.

- If we can't name and shame abusers (actually that's not even in this version of the forum's ToS btw, I went looking today. I think we now -can- name and shame, unless I misread it), then we can at least do the opposite and name and grats the good ones. Current ToS's "no naming people or harrasssing" stuff only seems to apply to RL details.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- If we can't name and shame abusers (actually that's not even in this version of the forum's ToS btw, I went looking today. I think we now -can- name and shame, unless I misread it), then we can at least do the opposite and name and grats the good ones. Current ToS's "no naming people or harrasssing" stuff only seems to apply to RL details.

You saying this made me have to go take a look (damn you, making me read boring stuff... lol). But I think it's safe to say naming and shaming someone is still not allowed. This alone...

(from the TOS 8.2)

You agree that you will not:

(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy

... I think covers it. But then there's this:

(from the Community Participation Guidelines)

Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary
: If you have a personal disagreement, do not post about it on the Second Life community pages. Residents who have personal differences have other channels of communication available to them — private messaging in the forums, IM within Second Life, or chatting within Second Life.

Personal negative commentary covers it, I suppose, if you were to call someone out by name... though that may not apply to a business name.

All this means is that I won't be warning someone if the say something negative about a business, but I will if they name someone specifically. (I do this to try and help people to not get in trouble, not because I'm trying to police the forum of negative content... just so you know.)

But then there's this:

(also from the Community Participation Guidelines)

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising
: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service. 

The "No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants" might lead one to believe that saying something positive about a business is not allowed... lol. Whatever.

...Dres

None of those cover though - naming a bad land baron or bad product maker.

- Not invading privacy. You're not giving out any real life info by calling out a bad product, merchant, or land baron. If I say 'Z has land in Sim 1, 2, and 3 that has improper whatevers on it' - that's SL info, not privacy related. Privacy would be 'Z's RL phone number / email / address / or name is.'

- Not a personal dispute / flame. You're not arguing with somebody or bringing up a personal dispute if you say 'X took my money and evicted me,' or 'Y puts scripts in her hair products.' A personal dispute would be attacking X or Y personally in the forums. Has the Republican party had such a low level of discourse over the past decade that we no longer know the difference between issue-based discussion and personal-attacks? ;)

- and the spamming would apply to spamming, not to mentioning good product. Do we not know the difference between an advertisement from a business and a recommendation by a satisfied customer?

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

None of those cover though - naming a bad land baron or bad product maker.

You may be right... I may be crazy. I tried to read it literally and logically; then tried to interpret it the way LL might, which sometimes seems illiterate and illogical.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- Not invading privacy. You're not giving out any real life info by calling out a bad product, merchant, or land baron. If I say 'Z has land in Sim 1, 2, and 3 that has improper whatevers on it' - that's SL info, not privacy related. Privacy would be 'Z's RL phone number / email / address / or name is.'

I wasn't thinking that it was a privacy issue, I only included the whole section for thoroughness. The part I was considering with was the "defamatory" part. But I did say near the end of my post that it doesn't seem to apply to businesses, only people.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- Not a personal dispute / flame. You're not arguing with somebody or bringing up a personal dispute if you say 'X took my money and evicted me,' or 'Y puts scripts in her hair products.' A personal dispute would be attacking X or Y personally in the forums. Has the Republican party had such a low level of discourse over the past decade that we no longer know the difference between issue-based discussion and personal-attacks?
;)

There's a difference between a dispute and an attack. Last time I checked (I'm not checking again... you can't make me... lol) LL still considers financial matters between residents a personal dispute. Oh and has the Republican party ever known the difference? I blame Sarah Palin. (Oh hell... was that a personal attack?)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- and the spamming would apply to spamming, not to mentioning good product. Do we not know the difference between an advertisement from a business and a recommendation by a satisfied customer?

I know, I was trying to be snarky... I'll have to try harder next time. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

It honestly makes little difference to me, I was just curious. It won't change the way I conduct myself except for what I said I'd warn people about in my previous post.

Cheers... Dres

These are the loose braids I bought from Fashionably Dead. As luck would have it, this was one of the first shops I walked into, and the style fit my tragic goth girl look perfectly (rather like an older, disheveled Wednesday Addams).

Snapshot_004.png

My AO wouldn't work for some reason, so I ended up either flying or doing the stupid newbie walk. It was worth braving the massive lag to get all the good freebies & dollarbies. I'm still sorthing through them. Each of the 4 regions has it's own TP in area & it's own list of participating merchants, so you can grab the list when you TP in & TP back to the shops you liked best. I found looking at the map helped me figure out where I was and which region had the fewest people in it, and thus the least lag. Following the boardwalk path either clockwise or counter-clockwise helps you to not miss any shops.

Yes, who ever designed the layout did a great job, were you able to check out the cool artwork? There were some fantastic photos on display. They also had sand sculptures with posing options for photos which was pretty neat. Looking at the map did help out a lot and overall the experience was a good one, unless of course one is just trying to find things to complain about. Who wants to read about positive experiences and fabulous content creation anyways, right? Cool hair, I'm glad you were able to find something you liked.

I liked seeing what hair designers have been doing with the new tattoo layer. Lots of good free tattoo hairbases, some for braids & cornrows, some with cute little strands aroud the face & at the back of the neck.

I don't understand the movable boxes sitting around, but the sand scuptures are nice. I didn't notice photos on display, probably because I was focused on grabbing freebies & dollarbies to take home & try on. The lag makes it difficult to try on hair there, because it can take forever for new prims & textures to load.

I hope you guys are happy... all this talk about the Hair Fair made me have to go to it... lol.

Here's what I got... love it! yay-smiley.gif

Hair_Fair_ 2_Share.png

Not my usual style, but I can definitely work with it.

The hair base was a great freebie from MADesigns and the hair I bought from :F@C: Faze for 100L. I am so glad I went.

In fact, I'm there now with my sister (my RL roommate... just FYI, we joined SL together years ago and both fell in love with it... I only say that because I think it's kinda unique... only kinda). Anyway, there wasn't a lot of guy's stuff there, so when I went there alone, it went rather quickly (thank heaven for double click tp). Now I've having to go to each and every shop with her and we've both been drinking so we're having a great time. Unlike some people, for us, shopping is an event... lol.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.