Skybox Question...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've always had houses, I just purchased my first skybox, adn there's no instructions on how to raise it to the level of 700 meters. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I know it's not difficult, I've just never messed with the skyboxes before...

Thanks!

If it is all one linked object - just edit it and set its Z-value to 700.

If its several unlinked pieces do this:

Rez a basic prim and sit on it.

Make this prim you're sitting on have an x and y size of 10m each - so you can walk around on it later.

Edit that prim to 700 on the z-value, and then hit 'escape' - since you are sitting on it you will zip up to 700.

Stand up, you should now be standing on your new platform. Rez your skybox. Get inside the skybox and make a landmark. Delete that platform prim.

Other very useful advice: rez one prim at the exact point of all four corners of your lot (or any corners if you have an unusual shape). Move them all to 700. Make sure your skybox is fully 137% -inside- the boundaries of those corner prims. Its Abuse reportable if you're outside by even 0.01m onto another private resident's land.

Second useful advice: get a teleport system and put one at ground, one in the skybox. I like 'anywhere doors' but there are also many freebie scripts out there that can be tossed into a prim.

Third useful tip. If your land is rectangular, chances are there there is a megaprim out there of its exact size. For most 512 lots that is 16x32. For most 1024 lots that is 32x32. Go to megaprim.sl and get the right sized megaprim. Rez it at ground - make sure its the exact location of your lot (turn on view property lines to be sure, and edit it to a whole number value on x and y). Now move it to your skybox and check to see that you can move it up and down the skybox and your skybox never goes outside of it. FINALLY - move it to some hidden height nobody else anywhere near you uses. Landmark that location. That's your new secret build platform, and also prim to check anything you rez in future to make sure its inside your land.

Sure thing.

Did you get a nice looking from the outside skybox, or one of those panorama closed in skyboxes?

(No real functional difference there - one is designed to be seen from a distance and the other is designed to give you a self-contained scene.)

The biggest thing to remember about skybox living - people go up there for privacy, so never rez yours within camera distance of a neighbor unless you're working together with that neighbor to build a larger 'scene.' If somebody else was at a spot first, just move to a different height.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

...The biggest thing to remember about skybox living - people go up there for privacy, so never rez yours within camera distance of a neighbor unless you're working together with that neighbor to build a larger 'scene.' If somebody else was at a spot first, just move to a different height.

I wish someone would tell my neighbours that! 1000's of metres of empty space and they build next to me at 1200m.

Six Igaly wrote:

It is a bit tricky to rely on camera distance..if your draw distance is set to 256 meters and your neighbours's is set at 64 meters it is one way traffic...as far as they know no one is around!

The folks a hundred metres or so to the NW of me get a pass on that one, they might well be too far away to see me. The person who placed a platform close enough to my workspace that I can literally jump across to it doesn't. And it isn't there by accident - a few days later it had been re-textured and a couple of new prims left on it. At least it's just my workspace it borders on, where sometimes I leave things a bit messy, and not my garden.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Third useful tip. If your land is rectangular, chances are there there is a megaprim out there of its exact size. For most 512 lots that is 16x32. For most 1024 lots that is 32x32. Go to megaprim.sl and get the right sized megaprim. Rez it at ground - make sure its the exact location of your lot (turn on view property lines to be sure, and edit it to a whole number value on x and y). Now move it to your skybox and check to see that you can move it up and down the skybox and your skybox never goes outside of it. FINALLY - move it to some hidden height nobody else anywhere near you uses. Landmark that location. That's your new secret build platform, and also prim to check anything you rez in future to make sure its inside your land.

Thank you, that is a GREAT idea. When I was doing that I made posts at all four corners of my plot and then moved the array to my Z, but having an actual platform would be way easier.

i'll usually make some prim pillars and send them up at the corners of my  lot on the inside so that i know i am good to go as long as i stay within those pillars..

i live at 4k in the air where it's quiet... then i'll rez a prim and ride it up and make it 10x10 floor tile and stand up and start building or rezzing stuff on it or if i have a prefab rez it on there..

i like living in the air more than down on the ground..it just has this free feeling to it hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.