Will Second Life 2 be developed?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've tried to search for the answer to this question without any result. I assume someone has seen any response at some point to this question. Second Life is aging more rapidly for each week that passes by, especially in relation to other games being developed. The performance hardly scales with performance anymore (is to be expected by such an old game) and lag is, and will continue to be, a normal part of the gameplay.

I would love to see a new Second Life being developed optimized for new technology. Not just the new software (DX11, not openGL pls :D) and hardware but the entirely different network infrastructure we have today compared to just 7 years ago. When I bought a new pc 1 year ago sitting on my 100mbit fiber line, I still have roughly the same performance as my less fortunate friends on dsl and 5 year old pc's.  There is so much new technology out there that SL could benefit from not just "graphics" wise, gameplaywise but most importantly, Creation wise.

So, does anyone know if Second Life 2 is even considered being developed? 

Much of the lag in second life is because of the servers, or sims not handling people that feel the need to have 800 scripts too well, or a slow connection. The viewer client itself is usually not responsible for lag.

I am sure SL will be optimized for newer tech, though asking it to be optimized for DX in any form is stupid. DX is a microsoft proprietary thing, and optimizing SL for directx while ignoring openGL would be a big middle finger to mac and linux users who cannot use DirectX, not to mention that openGL is on all windows computers too, while DirectX 11 likely is not.

Second Life is being developed, just when they do make ANY change to it you get a chorus of people that act like the sky is falling and its the end of second life and they are leaving forever and LL is a big mean poopy head and on and on and on. I saw it with display names, i saw it with basic mode in SL2 viewer, i saw it with many things in viewer 2 from the side bar to the other UI elements, i remember it with voice chat...whenever linden lab changes anything, there will inevitably be at least 10 people that complain about it like its the worst thing ever. 

How is a new plattform pointless? I don't see how it can be pointless to make a new plattform correcting the misstakes done in the first plattform while implementing new technology as well as changes that the residents want (obviously Lindenlab didn't know this before the release of the game). Just because the game doesn't have a story doesn't mean it shouldn't be further developed. There comes a time in any game where it simply becomes obsolete for technical and gameplay reasons, and I don't wish this fate on second life.

I also can't see how it is my connection or computer that causes lag or how it is the residents fault. If scripts can be made that lags down servers then the developer holds the responsibility to make these scripts unable to work. If the sims lags down. Then the developer has the responsibility to make a framework where the residents can't lag it down, or have more powerful servers. One solution is to let people host their own servers, hosting my own sim on my own server and my own connection without VPN through Lindenlab so their servers are not even affected, only with licence key and IP handshake. This is one example of possible devlopment that is modern. How is this "pointless"?

There are thousands of things that can and should be changed. About directX, that is just an example of change. I would like to see it for selfish reasons.

I guess I got my question answered tho thank you very much. 

I agree that there are alot of things that can and should be changed but why not just do it with the platform you already have? I mean the only thing stopping all this Development is LL and their laziness and the fact that they probably use 10 year old tech still that is barly working.

I get a kick out of all these "it's so easy", "a 10 year old can do it" statements.  Has anyone ever put their minds to some good and actually thought about what they are saying?  If it were easy and simple there would, after 8 years, be at least some semblance of competition somewhere on the Internet.  Even the clones of Open Sim aren't anywhere near the quality and reliability of SL............and they've been around for 5 years.

Two things that will never happen.  There will never be a complete rebuilding of the platform (31,000 sims divided by an average of 3 sims per quad core processor equals 10,000 CPU's plus and the hardware related to those CPU's, buildings and the necessary climate control, maintenance not to mention back up equip...........that's a bunch of money).  And the next "SL 2" will be that, yet to be seen, competitor somewhere down the road.  SL will be SL using the same platform with technilogical advances until it dies............and it will die some day.  Sure there may be variations of SL, probably developed by LL.  "Cloud" computing comes to mind...........but it won't be the same SL.  It won't have the same content, it won't have the same features..........it will be an LL product similar to SL in that it will be a vertual world..........it won't have user created content.  It will be an SL that you can run on your iphone or blackberry............it won't be SL as we know it.

I agree with you on most things but you can't say that mesh should take this long to come out. I mean even some of the lidens who were testing it at first said its taking way to long.. LL takes their sweet time with everything except money which is understandable because their main goal is money, but when I submit a ticket and I dont get a reply in weeks and then my friend (Who owns a sim or two) submits one he gets instant reply.. not fair at all. Plus the whole "immune to ban" thing if you have a sim is kinda crazy.

I shudder to think of what a "second version" of SL would be like, considering the likely Second System Effect. To sum it up, when you get the green light to do a "clean sheet" redesign of a system, you tend to include so many features and partially-understood improvements that the result is a bloated horror that's far worse than whatever shortcomings it sought to address. Then, after suffering through that, you generally find a balance when you redesign it for a third iteration.

This is not the same as people complaining that the world (or SL) will end when Feature X is introduced, removed, or changed in some way they don't like. That's just people being people, and I'm afraid we're stuck with it. (At least until "The Creator" decides to do a clean sheet redesign, in which case I pity his minions and the poor beings that have to suffer through that system. (Note: Many people have suggested that RL is so messed up it must surely be such a second system...))

Um, server side rendering is the next future evolution of SL, from what I hear. I don't think this offers anything new or "2.0" and only sort of makes the same old Sl available to many other people with less hardware power. YOu could argue it is not SL 2.0 BUT part of web 3.0, because SL can be a collaborative environment and might even work in well with the increase in personal information usage (as it partians to using analytics, fun visualizations and even purchasing things using virtual reality and information to help visualize....uh, ok this is getting to need examples. I don't care to elaborate now. BUT, yeah...uh, sensors ending up all over the world we live in, augmented reality (OR reality augmenting 3D space so we can use it to help our RL space!) and maybe even basically just act as a part of the new marketing fad of using games to market/advertise/brainwash.

Yeah, I read about the marketing wierdness of making games to market. You get people to remember you biz if you put a game into something to do with your company...uh, games on your website or gamish type of interactions with the company. Farmville meats retarded "sign up here and we will pay you to 'Like' us!" uh....at least game are fun and sometimes educationsal. Seems like Free Rice was ahead of it's time! I like that website, such a neat idea and does seem like it is ahead of it's time. Gaming is the new marketing fad though, so now you will see games on all sorts of corporate web sites that did not do games before. Also, you will see gadients, the same old photoshop fads and all the rest the web designers market....I wish they where artists more than designers and all this would not look like a cheap Adobe special 2 clicks and done sort of deal. Everything from shopping on the web to just checking out some specs seems like Photoshop acolites have right click and bevelled and glowed thier way to makign everything the same...blah. No wonder etsy became so popular.....oh, yeah....ephemera all over to...blah. Why not more optical illlusions and at leat we have 3D stuff around now....though, people are acting like 3D glasses where invented lat year.....ah...OH well, cool anyway! That reminds me of kirstens 3d viewer, although there was a stereoscopic one already around...I think. But, yeah, neat stuff anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.