I guess this would go here...Lag Problems

SyiLynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been experienceing some lag since lastnight round 9pm CST. And it keeps doing it, It took me about 5 minuets to walk from one side of a building to another. Things arent loading correctly, and it is just so slow.

How can I fix this?

It is very probably something to do with the settings on your own computer, rather than lag in the true sense of the word. Have you checked your draw distance? Often you feel sluggish and slow if you've had your graphics set to "ultra" and forgotten to move it back lower again. 

Clear your cache and log out. When you log back into Second Life change your login start location to Furball (this is an empty waterland sim where there should be no lag).

Keep feeding back to this thread, and if you need further help, other suggestions will be offered.

Whenever you are asking for technical help you need to provide good information on your system. The easy way to provide the information relevant to SL problems is to be logged in and click HELP -> ABOUT. Copy that info and paste it in with your question.

Lag has many causes and there are different types of lag. So, is it you or the SIM? To find out press Ctrl-Shift-1 (a toggle) to open the stats panel. If the problem is the connection you will see PING over 250ms and lost packets over 2%. The higher the numbers are the more likely it is a connection problem. BUT, a poorly performing SIM can spike those number up sort of giving a false indication.

Look at SIM and Physics FPS. Both of those are ideally 45 FPS. The smaller the numbers the more likely it is the SIM and not you. In which case Ping and Lost Packets may be high because of the SIM.

Obviously part of the troubleshooting should be going to another SIM. If you experience the same problem in other regions, it is something on your side or the connection. You can go to SpeedTest.net and test your connection.

If you don't know how to change draw distance then it is unlikely you changed the setting. So, if things used to work and don't now, that probably is not the solution. Try Preferences (Ctrl-P) -> Graphics and lower your settings. That changes the Draw Distance (DD)and a number of other settings that affect performance. If you use Advanced settings (a button in graphics) you'll see an individual setting for DD. It is a handy simple change you can make when in a shopping mall to speed things up, like 64m for malls.

The info you paste in will tell us if you are in a release channel testing SIM region or on the main region SIM software. The release channels can suddenly have problems the rest of the grid doesn't. While some of us keep track of those things, that information is seldom placed in Grid Status announcements. So, ask here. Otherwise, the status can explain sudden changes in performance.

There a numerious other possible causes. Check these and see if you get a better idea of the cause.

Oh... and some regions are just SLOW! If you go the an event, like the Hair Fair, then you will walk forward and then snap back or ahead, called rubber banding. You'll see ping and SIM Physics FPS degrade in such cases.

SyiLynn wrote:

I cleaned my cache and went to Furball it is still slow. I am not sure how to do the other thing you mentioned. 

The last thing I want to do is overload you with information, especially as (1) I don't know how "techie"-minded you are and (2) I hate geek-speak.

I tend to be slower at the weekends, when there are many more users sharing my broadband service. This can cause me to feel laggy.

If there are a lot of users in the sim I am on, that always slows me right down.

There are tons of settings that can be tweaked in Second Life, but really you shouldn't need to be tweaking much at all.

And so back to your current issue. 

If you have been fine until the other night after 9pm it is most likely your internet connection, or a new HUD/device/scripted object you are wearing.  Unless you have accidentally adjusted your graphics settings, which seems unlikely if you don't know how to adjust that.  I am assuming you are using Viewer 2, and have gone in search of one of Torley Linden's great video tutorials with content that may help you with your current issue.

Please keep feeding back to this thread for further advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this looks like the thread I needed ... :matte-motes-agape: ... I'm having the same problem ... two nights ago I auto updated the SL2 reader and then ZAP ... all was blown away ... gray, non-holding, mollasses walking, even IM typing was MEGA slow ... I'll  check this stuff out ...   one question ... to we need to port-forward for SL like with torrents & all ... anyway, one way or the other I'm gonna get this pup to work ...

Cheers,

J. D.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.