why is it i keep crashing every 2 minutes even after i cleared my cache thingy on viewer2

turk3272 Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Clearing cache won't help that problem.  You have a connection issue.  It could be due to any number of things.  You could have another program running on your computer that is using a lot of your bandwidth, for example.  Your router or modem could be acting flaky (try rebooting them by unplugging each for a few minutes -- that sometimes helps).  If you're on wireless, you could be getting local interferences from garage door openers or household appliances.  Your ISP could be having a bad day (week?).  You might be overheating (open the case and use some compressed air to get rid of the dust bunnies and cat hair).  Whatever's causing it, the fact that it's happening every two minutes might make it easier to track down.

Are you crashing or being disconnected from SL?  There is quite a bit of different and fixes are very different. 

Getting disconnected you'll usually get a message saying that you've been disconnected and you can read chat but nothing else or you can exit (which shuts down the viewer and takes you back to your desktop).  Sometimes you won't get a message.  When that happens everything seems okay visually except you can no longer chat (sometimes IM's work because they are handled differently), you can't walk or fly, sit on pose balls.......you can, however spin your camera around and turn your avatar around.  Everything keeps looking the same with no new avatars coming into view.  People around you will tend to just stay still but you can see them.  The fix for that is typically what Rolig mentioned.........reset your router and modem.

A crash is your viewer closes or everything just stops.........nothing moves around you and you cannot move your camera or you avatar in circles.  Sometimes the crash is so severe your computer actually crashes and you have to force shut down and the worse crash is when your computer shuts down unexpectedly.

Are you crashing or are you getting disconnected?

Edit:

Don't ask me how I managed to post this response twice.....magic I guess. 

OK.. Here are a few things to try if you haven't already.  Peggy is right.  Some of the things we have suggested ought to work if you are being disconnected, but it sounds as if you may actually be crashing.  So ..

• Disable VBO: Run your viewer and before logging in, press Ctrl-P to bring up the Preferences window. Then click on Graphics → Hardware Settings tab. (The specific name for "hardware settings" may vary from one viewer to another, but the function is there.  Look for it.) Make sure that “Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects” is *not* checked.
  • Disable HTTP Get Textures: Again, open the preferences window, then click on Graphics → Rendering tab. (if you are using LL's V2 viewer, you'll actually have to log in, navigate to the Develop (CTRL + Alt + Q) menu, and look for HTTP Textures instead). Make sure “Use HTTP Textures” is not checked. Please clear your cache if you change this setting.

VBO and HTTP Texture settings affect each computer differently.  Changing these may cure your crashing problem, or they may make no difference at all. It can't hurt to try.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.