Jump to content

Ping-ping-ping-ping-ping in Hecta


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

For the past couple weeks, my shop (Rickymations) in Hecta has been very noisy.  In particular, when I right-click on things, or start an IM, or open a notecard, or edit an object, I hear repeated ping-pings, as if the UI noises are playing over and over again.  I get this mostly in my shop, but I notice it on other parcels in the sim too.  It's not just me; a friend hears the same thing.  On the other hand, in some spots on the sim (like a nearby club) I don't hear this.  And customers at my shop mostly say they don't hear it.

Any suggestions on what it might be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ricky Shaftoe wrote:

Hi all,

For the past couple weeks, my shop (Rickymations) in Hecta has been very noisy.  In particular, when I right-click on things, or start an IM, or open a notecard, or edit an object, I hear repeated ping-pings, as if the UI noises are playing over and over again.  I get this mostly in my shop, but I notice it on other parcels in the sim too.  It's not just me; a friend hears the same thing.  On the other hand, in some spots on the sim (like a nearby club) I don't hear this.  And customers at my shop mostly say they don't hear it.

Any suggestions on what it might be?

By chance, does the sim ping go up really high when this happens, and things become very laggy?  If so, I have had this happen, and the sounds you describe are close to what I would hear, which is as if the sounds upon clicks, etc., are echoing very quickly several times in a row. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, that sounds like it.  It sounds like UI noises strung together, as if I were repeatedly walking into a wall or something, but at a machine-gun clip.  And yes, it seems to correspond to one of the sim performance meters in the "statistics" display.  

Should I ask LL to reset the sim or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like one of the grief features in copybot viewers. Look for someone who is just couple days old, wearing nothing but stolen items, ban the person and the noise goes away untill the person get new account. Not sure if it is enough to ban the person from the sim. It might work from over the border. Banning just from one parcel in the same sim dont help for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ricky Shaftoe wrote:

Yes, that sounds like it.  It sounds like UI noises strung together, as if I were repeatedly walking into a wall or something, but at a machine-gun clip.  And yes, it seems to correspond to one of the sim performance meters in the "statistics" display.  

Should I ask LL to reset the sim or something?

Alright.  Is your sim running one of the RC simulators, such as Blue Steel, Magnum, LeTigre or Snack?  This can be found in Help/About.  Is it restricted only to a certain parcel.  In other words, if you cross a parcel line, even one you own, does it stop? Does it decrease as you go higher in altitude?

I have 2 parcels side by side, in a sim running Magnum server version. This has happened only on 1 parcel, the same one each time, and stopped as soon as I leave that parcel, or decreased as I went higher in altitude.  It also happened on 1 other parcel in the sim owned by the sim owner which was a public area.  I ruled out an attachment, or object or script on the parcel as the cause.  It would only happen occasionally.  Sometimes logging off and back on would make is stop.  I could cross the parcel line back and forth and watch it begin and stop, over and over.  Another avatar beside me was unaffected.  Strangest thing I have ever seen in SL to date.  If we can collaborate symptoms, maybe we can report something to LL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Liisa Runo wrote:

Sounds like one of the grief features in copybot viewers. Look for someone who is just couple days old, wearing nothing but stolen items, ban the person and the noise goes away untill the person get new account. Not sure if it is enough to ban the person from the sim. It might work from over the border. Banning just from one parcel in the same sim dont help for sure.

Ah, I have never run across this before, but it does not account for my experience, if it is the same as that of the OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...