Upload Fee and Physics weight now shown in the upload window

arton Rotaru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hmm yes me too... 151L$ for 20 odd tris with phys enabled.   1280Tris with auto LOD and using medium level as physics  PE=6 PH=3.32 ==> Cost to upload 159 $L....

Uploaded 59k5 tris model, after having to do manual phys decompose, and using 7ktris for the lowest 2 LOD ==> PE =219 Phys 0.6 cost = 460 L$

Seems 150 L is the base price.

That seems pretty reasonable. Cool... can't wait... although I'll be definitely testing my uploads on the beta grid each time first.

$10L per upload I can just eat... but at that rate it would add up too quick to make a dozen or so useless uploads before getting it right! :smileyhappy:

My guess is, given the need to press a button top get the costs (Ugh! bad unresponsive UI) that these are now being fetched from the server (at least the physics cost whose calculation was never in the viewer, I think*). Unfortunately the sctreaming cost is no longer explicitly available, and the scaling spinner has no effect. So it is impossible to get even the PE unless you make the object to scale (and to every possible scale if you intend it to be variable). Not seeing the streaming cost means you can't see what you are doing when you are trying to optimise except by payinh the monstrous upload cost. In my view this is an extreme and unacceptable degradation in the quality of the upload UI.

*Anyone have any idea why they shouldn't be there? The only reasons I can think of would be deliberate obfuscation or concern that server and client migh not egree.  The latter can be solved by having a live cost in the uploader and a check with server button that has to be pressed before upload.

IMHO  what we see in the "new UI" can not realy be counted as improvement and i must say that i am very disappointed. I only can hope this is something intermediate which will be beautified soon (and the newly introduced errors get fixed). It looks to me like an interface that might focus on (and might be dictated by) technical relevancy. But customer needs are not well supported with that one.

All was better 6 months ago. So what happened ?

There is still an open Jira ( CTS-664 ) about UI and this jira was even requested by LL themself after closing CTS-611. So let us hope that at least a bit of what we collected in CTS-664 will eventually be seen in the final importer interface ;-(

At least that...

And BTW since Upload costs get significant now, you realy should add a popup saying  (for example)

"This upload will cost you 1250 L$. Are you sure you want to upload this now ? [YES] [CANCEL]"

Yup, not seeing the streaming cost while playing with various LOD settings is a bit lame.

About the upload fee. Well, I think we have to wait untill mondays meeting, if this is already the final implementation.

While I would agree, that the current number is not to much for high poly uploads (or scenes), it gets a bit expensive if you need proper decomposed collision shapes for each mesh component. To achieve that I have to upload every mesh file on it's own. So paying ~175 for each and every part will cost some real dollars.

Yes. And now that I think of it ... how can they tell you the physics cost when you can't tell them what they physics sghape type is going to be?

Just tried my simplest cube (12 tris, 24 verts) = L$151, blowout preventer (15000 tris, 20000 verts) = L$214. [need a dribbling nervous breakdown smiley here]

Als I notice the checkbox for claiming license to upload has gone!

:matte-motes-zipped: But having large detailed meshes counteract the triangle budget system. So I'm not sure that this is their intention here. :matte-motes-confused: 

But one thing for sure, the Lab loves money. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I had it turned on in the developer/debug menu to show costs for a while and was getting a bit worried about it. I mess up my uploads quite a bit, at least so far with textures and the few sculpties I uploaded. I'm gonna be living on the beta grid while I tweak anything I make till my money runs out.

Isn't there a Linden on the beta grid we can request to give us beta cash?

Oskar Linden is the man to ask about Aditi Dollars.

Unfortunately the current Mesh Viewers don't work with Opensim 0.7.1.1. Though pre MAD viewers does. So this is an option for testing purposes, texturing and such stuff. Of course, to see how it will end up in SL, we need to upload everything at least once on Aditi.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.