Eyes resolution limit in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I was searching about limits in resolution for eyes in SL, but can't find any info about it.
The thing is I have same resolution using a 512 texture than a 256 when applied to the eye, not sure why. I can't see any difference. SL eyes force resolution from 512 to 256? Not sure if the only way to have high resolution eyes is using prims then or I'm missing something...

thanx

The only time that you really need high resolution on something as small as an eye is when you expect people to zoom in really tight on it.  I can understand a jeweller making a relatively high-resolution texture on a pin or a ring, because we hope that people will want to zoom in to get a closer look.  I can think of a few places where a high-res eyeball might be nice, but my guess is that for 99.99% of the time it's a wasted effort.  Not only that, the high-res texture still has to be rendered by everyone's GPU, adding to rez lag.   Personally, I'd stick to a 256 x 256 texture anyway.  I am not aware of any LL-imposed limit, however.

The normal avatar eyes are not all that eye-shaped either.

Prim eyes made with a simple sphere have the problem that there's an axial seam affecting the way the texture is produced on the surface, so you'll normally need to duplicate the eye texture x2 (horizontal).

If that is not satisfactory, you can try going x2 both vertically and horizontally on a sculpt like the one I'll attach below.

But prim eyes are usually creepy and dead-looking anyway unless they are at least scripted to look around like regular eyes.spurre.png 

thanx guys. But guess I just notice this 512-256 resolution automatic conversion and wanted to be sure was not only me :P I couldn't find any info in sl wiki, so was very curious about it ^^

I did prim eyes on the past, and look the same way sl eyes, only difference is resolution if I add a 512 texture, but I'm agree 256 is enough for such a small part of an avatar.
Anyway just see lot of people selling prim eyes in high resolutions, and they say it in their description, so guess there are customers that like to have slow rendering but better textures in some special cases ^^'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.