Renaming a worn HUD

Monica Balut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

By using llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_NAME, "new name"]) I can change the name of  worn HUD via script.  If I look at the Name field in the Content window, can clearly see the name has been changed.  The only problem is the name change does not persist when the HUD is detached.  It reverts to the old name.  I haven't tried llSetObjectName but I suspect it will behave the same way.

Is there any way to get a name change to persist if done on a worn object?  Changing the name in the inventory does not work on no modify objects.  I suspect that the only way to do it is to actually rez the object on the ground. :((((

Thanks Void.  Unfortunately, what I am after here is for the new name to appear in the personal inventory so the user can distiguish it from other copies.  It seems that there are only two solutions.  One is to have the user make a copy of the original boxed version before it is rezzed and rename that one in the inventory.  Otherwise s/he has to rez it to rename it.  I was hoping to make this easier for the user.

unfortunately, it's a combination of LL not wanting items in inventory to unexpectedly change names, and not wanting to provide direct access to modifying items on the asset server. if we had a scripted drop functionality, there is a way to auto return items to the users lost and found via posJump to nowhere.

a less optimal solution to your specific problem is to include a copy of the item in it's contents, which can be rezzed with a start parameter. when it's rezzed with that parameter it sends a call to the original asking for a new name. the original gives the copy a copy for it's contents, and sends a message with the new name to use. the rezzed copy can then change names and ask for permission to attach.

the downs side is that it requires ability to rez an object, a permission dialog, and ends up in the objects folder, plus the extra coding and duplication.

Closest you can do from a script is to request attach permissions,  then ask them to drop the HUD.  Have it rename itself while dropped, then automaticlaly re-attach.  You have to be somewhere you have rez permissions.

That approach is also handy if one desires to make linkset changes to a HUD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.