TOS - Snapshot and Machinima policy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there is another thread about this more or less, but I wanted a more focused point about what can really be considered machinima and further more the policy on it's use and purpose.... 

I can understand when the use or purpose for aspects of creativity, art, ect, and someone might make a profit off it, and everyone wants their due credit if in the shot so to speak, however, how about a more simpler use? 

Basically, the point of this thread is does the policy still blanket over and basically render "idiots" the means to justify their ability to simply point and accuse others of things they didn't do as well as leave them up a nice shield to hide behind when they do things and the only real proof that would show them just how wrong they are or just how wrong they have done, would be in a simple recording with a program like FRAPS. 

Prime example, as this pretty much refers to SIMs in the realm of Roleplay, specifically Gorean Roleplay SIMs. 

Things that happen is of course text roleplay, but also alot of what happens are Raids, combat, pew pew, ect. 

Each SIM has their set of rules, ect, and we all use the same type of scripted weapons made from one weapons maker to another.. 

But here is the point, because what happens alot in these raids is accusations of cheating, rule breaking, ect. Most times getting a snapshot of someone doing one thing or another is impossible unless you just happen to have a stroke of luck to get a shot showing what occured, IE: Walking up terrain land, rezzing grapples in wrong places, or just people raging and causing a good fight to just end in no one having fun. Ignorant rage filled accusations fly from one person to the next, as well as what someone thinks someone did but without the proof they did just gets taken as fact when there is no fact to it. 

Are those of us whom do the right thing, actually follow the rules, ect really not allowed a means to back ourselves up? To beable to prove without shadow of a doubt, via a simple FRAPS recording what actually happened, so that THEN it could be looked upon fairly with the video fact showing what actually transpired? 

Now I personally agree with the general concensus on privacy, no one wants some noob flying 1k meters up to a skybox and recording you geting it on pixel style lol, but don't we as one resident to another have the right to prove ourselves against false accusations that people base banning someone on? 

In this type of use, for the sake of just having a means to back up your side of the story, shouldn't that be allowed? Don't we have that right? I mean hell, you got anyone with a cell phone these days ready to hit the record button if some misdeed by the Police and posts it on youtube with out any fear of the legalities behind it. 

SO yeah, I have posted this here, in hopes one, Lidens would see it and perhaps care about another view point, and more so to the point, that the policy in the TOS is rewritten with something like that in mind, or something. But I don't think someone should be threatened with being banned over basically defending themselves or having a means to defend themselves against basically Harrassment, False Accusations, ect. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of using something like FRAPS to prove yourself when being accused of breaking the rules . Only if it is used for the reason for that , but we here like in rl situations know that someone will break that and something will be done to even take that away from us .

With that being said , how many times does someone break a TOS and nothing get done about it , false accusations fly around sl all the time , in a rp sim it has become so much the norm that we all expect it to happen . the Handing out of personal rl information , handing out im's . It has all been done before .

Give us something we can use to proves without a shadow of a doubt and someone will screw it up for us somehow . But I still say its a damn good idea . My Vote is yes allow this to happen .

• Like 1

I must agree with some aspects of your rant there Dev.  Your right to be able to prove yourself...

Having said that, proving your own actions is your business, proving someone elses actions really isnt.

The use of such tools like Fraps would be good in the hands of someone that actually looked to better others vs themselves.   Someone that would use the evidence to direct towards a sim admin, or possibly a moderator.  Those deemed responsible for the sim in question.  And those who need to take corrective actions to enure the violation against you can be corrected.

Unfortunately like other scripts or software based programs that can be used in/for secondlife (ie. redzone) who's intentions were initially to do good, get abused far too often.  These tools when abused are purely to make someone a little more self righteous than what they already deem themselves to be.  A HaHa here and a HaHa there, or guess who this person is.  Look what these people or that person did.  Look how good I am to find out...

Perhaps it should be named "Bravo Tools" instead of "Machinima"

To distribute this information/media publically though is still an issue.  Yes even to give it to a moderator or admin.

but yeah "those of us whom do the right thing" I think that is the bigger issue here.

• Like 1

Actually that is the purpose, however, there are those SIM Admins whom even with such evidence, will just simply laugh you off, insult you and the like, yourself having been one of them in the past, among several others. Not playing the blame game here or even spouting insults, just stating fact. 

Because far to often, when it has been ask to be proven of whom does what several times, too often has it just been tossed aside with a simple " Don't like it, don't come here " response. Instead of those handling the proof as it should be with the intentions it was taken for. 

The fact of the matter is, yes, poeple will laugh at what they see, because it goes on anyway, with the countless amount of chat lags passed around and posted in notice after notice of whom did what to whom and the like, however, those of us whom get those very same things occur, should infact beable to prove themselves, that's the bottomline. And yes, when the masses see just what occurs, they will laugh, however, you and others obviously as admins see these things, the question is, do you still do anything about? 

I've yet to see something done, other then banning the ones whom point out the issues, because they were provoked to get upset because they were just never listened to to begin with. 

I and many others have asked for proof of many of things, rarely is proof ever brought to light, other then "I saw it or everyone says this" when it comes to those of us just simple pre-judged and assumed one way. 

Lets not cast stones at glass houses then right....

You are absolutely right, I did tell you that if your only reason to come to my sim was to complain then why bother to come?

(as you IM'd me during the middle of a raid) - [ Raid Etiquette: Do NOT IM me in the middle of one ]

I mean really, if you dont come, who really cares?  And since you hate it so much, then why allow you there?  I guess its like doing you a favor.   Your welcome :)

Was there anything done to address the accusations you make?  Yes...it was immediately addressed after the raid.

But again you yourself embrace the "he said she said", clearly in your last post.

The conversation is about using FRAPS output to validate a claim......I said it would work if done responsibly

To publicaly distribute it, to make you feel just.... well that is abuse.

Really.... your actions were not responsible.

"No one can cheat you out of ultimate success but yourself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Correction first of all, wasn't the middle, was the begining, advising you of the issue, however you instead chose to react as you are well aware, instead of actually rectifying the situation and be the reponsible Admin. 

And reguardless, it's besides the point of the thread, and I agree that for the right reasons it should be allowed, however, you obviously will view whatever reason I have as not the reason and assume you own as per the norm. 

SO moving on, I am actually interested to hear other's view points and feedback, and that is the point of this post overall, and perhaps, god willing, that Linden Labs listen and revise things accordingly to a fair manner for all parties involved in simular situations. 

Because there will always be someone whom does something malicious with something that had a good purpose. 

All I need to say is that.. no matter where we go in sl or sl Gor that there are others out there that always, will ruin it for others i like the idea of being able to prove that something has happend because we all know there are the apparent SUPER bows that always have to win no matter what and when you try and prove that they did something they should not of done then they rage and throw a hissy fit because it dont go the way they wanted it too. But i think its a great idea.. nothing better then putting someone in there place then again its a damned shame to have to even have to have something to prove if someone did anything because people dont know how to act like adults and follow rules HAHA.. what is worse are the people that are rp mods and sim owners that get pissy when noone follows there rules then turn round and break other sim rules nothing worse then a god modder.and people that make rules and break there own rules to benifit them selfs we all can name a few people . with that said I think its a good idea to be able to prove your innocence and also point out when someone is not following the rules..

All avatars monitored all the time by throwing chucking a few frames a second out from a server side render system for all. That might work? Then when all the AR's fly, no issues arise over who did what? This might be the future of gaming in 2020! So easy, lose only a tiny bit of performance and if the gear gets fast enough it is all good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.