Hanson infohub needs to be replaced. Others?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For no good reason other than spare tier burning a hole in my pocket, I picked up at auction a 512 in Hanson, a snow sim with an old infohub.  Now that I look around in more detail, the sim has lots of problems, but foremost among them is the crappiness of the infohub itself.  As far as I can tell, the only information it provides is how to turn on audio and media streams, with instructional screenshots of a long since defunct viewer interface.  Otherwise... as much as I like the idea of preserving SL history, this is a beginner build at best, not a desirable new user experience, nor an appealing gathering spot for returning residents.  

On the plus side, it appears to be pretty much starved of infohub visitor routing, so it's not really doing much active damage (although it is still showing as an infohub on the Map).

I'm certainly not much concerned about the fate of my dinky 512 there, so if the whole sim just rots away, it really doesn't matter to me, personally.

It does make me wonder, though: How many of the old infohubs are in similar disrepair?  and should LDPW rejuvenate them? Repurpose them?  Give up and auction them off?

Maybe the least successful of the old infohubs could be assets for whatever fresh approach is being taken to New User Experience?

Most of the infohubs are identical in being outdated.

There is at least one in the grid that has had its nudity sign removed. Curiously -NOT- the ones on adult land, but it is on M land so its open season there (and a sometimes regular event among the regulars just to celebrate their special status).

The rest are pretty much the same as each other.

There's one in the middle of Blake Sea (Barbarossa) that gives out free boats, but the rez zone is squeezed between a piers and the back of a building. Another rez zone exists on the opposite side of the island - away from where the free boat giver lies.

ALL of them could use some updates to go to MEDIA prims of the knowledge base, these forums, and some newbie guides of -at a minimum- my own getting started guide - but my guide should be setting the bar for lowest quality, not way above what the lindens offer...

Poenald Palen wrote:

There are all kinds of areas that could use attention, so I guess they will work through them all bit by bit and then have to start right at the begining again? The moles are stuck in a mobius tunnel of content fixing that never ends!

Now that I look into it some more, you're right, of course.  Here's one list of broken content, in much worse disrepair than just having outdated information and an unappealing build.

And I know the Moles do rejuvenate old decrepit sims.  I understand that Rizal is a recent example -- and a good place to nab some fresh Mole content, including some pretty nice pine trees -- although I never knew Rizal's state before the renovation.

Which reminds me... whatever has become of Luna Oaks Galleria?  Seems like the most recent lottery for six month slots must have been at least two years ago.  I wonder how many of the stalls still have content, and of those how many are by merchants with still-active accounts.  It appears that the record is erased now, so....

Hanson is really a mess. It wasn't that good to begin with, IMO. FWIW, I think the majority of the "not a full region" hubs need to be reconsidered and/or shuttered. The exceptions (again, IMO) likely being Iris, Miramare, and Ross. Possibly Hyles, Bear and others, if they were updated content-wise.

Full region hubs like Hyannisport, HauKoda, Moose Beach, Violet, etc are more the way to go, IMO, but even here they need a revamping of content, and -- and this I don't know how to handle -- a bit more time spent on helping keep these "social" places from becoming "anti-social" places.

Yeah, Hanson's been a problem child for years. The infohub was in trouble even before the Moles showed up. It was one of the resident built hubs, and one of the residents who built it disappeared leaving big chunks unmodifiable by the ones let behind. At least they were able to replace the missing chunks out on the front deck, opposite the NCI mini hub.

The rest of the sim was scarred badly by cutting and ad farms. Over the last couple of years Lindens reclaimed and merged some of the mess in the northeast of the sim, but it doesn't look like they've done anything with it but mark it as theirs. Once upon a time Blondin mentioned that something would be happening in Hanson, but I guess bigger and better things had to come first.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Full region hubs like Hyannisport, HauKoda, Moose Beach, Violet, etc are more the way to go, IMO, but even here they need a revamping of content, and -- and this I don't know how to handle -- a bit more time spent on helping keep these "social" places from becoming "anti-social" places.

The best of them seems to be Isabel. Its a small spot in the middle of a busy sim (one of the more popular newbie clubs in SL is on the same sim) - so you'd think people would avoid it...

But instead it has a healthy crowd of friendly regulars, and the hostiles - when they show up, tend to fade away after a short time from either lack of being engaged or getting silently (non-drama) AR'd.

My vote would be that all of the infohubs get their current signs pulled and new ones put up.

The new ones should be:

1. A region appropriate 'don't this here' sign. Nudity -should- be allowed in the A-rated infohubs since people land in them after crashing out of 'certain kinds of locations'. The no-nudity sign needs to be there in ALL g-rated infohubs (I think its missing in a few). In the M-hubs... its kinda a wash. I'd say put it up if the sim is adjacent to a G-rated sim that is not a pure-water sim. They all need to keep the other parts of those no-this-and-that signs.

2. A media prim that loads the knowledge base, and is set to go back to its home page every 30-mins.

3. A media prim that loads the answers pages of the forums and is set to go back to its home page every 30-mins.

4. A media prim that loads the community forums and is set to go back to its home page every 30-mins.

5. A media prim that loads a basic guide to getting started, and is set to go back to its home page every 30-mins.

6. A media prim that displays the grid status page and cannot be navigated away from - but refreshes every hour.

7. A prim that cycles random places in the destination guide, of the same rating as the infohub, and offers to TP to one when clicked.

- And lots of chairs.

They should all have build on with return at 5, and object entry on (only if this is needed for vehicle rezzing, otherwise off), but scripts off.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

They should all have build on with return at 5, and object entry on (only if this is needed for vehicle rezzing, otherwise off), but scripts off.

Scripts off could be problematic at Violet, Hau Koda, Barbarossa, Hyannisport, and Moose Beach. each of these also have items for vehicle use in their areas, and no scripts would likely affect functionality.

Turning off voice at some of those, OTOH, would make for a much more pleasant experience -- but I don't see LL shuttering what is viewed as a core functionality of the viewer in an area for noobs.

I like your suggestions, BTW, In some of these I'd also like to see more on the local areas surrounding them.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Turning off voice at some of those, OTOH, would make for a much more pleasant experience -- but I don't see LL shuttering what is viewed as a core functionality of the viewer in an area for noobs.

I like your suggestions, BTW, In some of these I'd also like to see more on the local areas surrounding them.

If it was me I'd call up one of the local Republicans to borrow a shotgun and put the voice servers of SL out of their misery... :)

But oh well. I'd love to see at least half of them go no-voice. But the Linden's love voice so much I didn't even bother mentioning that suggestion...

They might as well just turn this thing into skype and shut down the 3D portion... that seems to be how they use it anyway.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If it was me I'd call up one of the local Republicans to borrow a shotgun and put the voice servers of SL out of their misery...
:)

But oh well. I'd love to see at least half of them go no-voice. But the Linden's love voice so much I didn't even bother mentioning that suggestion...

They might as well just turn this thing into skype and shut down the 3D portion... that seems to be how they use it anyway.

A thousand times this.

FWIW, all I've really seen voiced used for in the hubs is to insult noobs or play tinny music. Every so often, as if by accident, an actually conversation breaks out.

• 4 weeks later...

Violet needs some attention, pronto. In the SE corner there is a parcel which is part of the sea route to Bay City, the connection between the Fuschia Channel and the Swanhild region. At the moment, it's set to block object entry, so vehicles stop dead. Which makes all the effort to build the route wasted.

I'm pretty sure I sailed through there in the past.

Moose Beach... ah, Moose Beach.

For the last several weeks, a pair of griefers have been having a slap fight there - and we all get to share the "ot."

Here, for example, is last nights e-mail. The confirmation notice to all those ARs I filed.

ars-july-31.jpg

It's really out of control, and I have to assume that the lab is woefully understaffed to handle this sort of stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.