Follow script Object and defending oneself in a public sandbox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, I was looking at a friend's creation on a LL public sandbox when a griefer used a screaming Follow scripted object on my friend. Beside begging this griefer to remove it, muting and teleporting to a different sim, what would be the best solution to counter defense these kind of attacks?

I've also been looking some of the anti-stalker tools from the Marketplace to be used as 'prophylaxis' from getting griefed in public places like the sandbox. Will that be OK TOS wise?

Hi Willow!

Im not up to date on using any of those, 'anti-stalking-griefer tools' (perhaps someone will reply on this)

IMO, two solutions come to mind:

1)AR the griefer  (if griefer is around or you see the object)

2) If this were me, I find a sandbox, good for building that has 'no pushing' and  'no damage' enabled.

Mathurin

• Like 1

Before LL ruined the sandboxes, you could just go under the sandbox sign, and the follower get stuck on that lil parcel. But when LL merged the sandboxes they broke this behavior in the process. It was prolly an accident by a noob linden and will be fixed some day. (i made a JIRA about the current sandbox mess https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7033 )

Untill LL fix it, one can guide the follower to the sandbox hill and then TP back to the sandbox. The follower will most likely stay on the hill. Or if the sandbox has off-world next to it. Can guide the follower to go off-world. Or go above 4096meters and maybe the follower get returned that way. Some followers are designed to avoid all these tricks and you can only AR them and wait for LL to slap the griefer.

Also some NPVs (non physical vehicles meant to be used to protect you from attacks and stuff) have feature that will make the follower appear to be following the griefer it self. This often make the griefer stop the device.

Not quite sure what you mean with anti-stalking. But only way to prevent others to see where you are on the grid and to remotely monitor open chat is to go in island with no public access. And even this fail if you accidentally carry shady attachement. Best way is to just not care if people know where you are, and to never speak secrets in open chat.

Summary:

To prevent geing tossed around. Sit on ground or prim, or use NPV or movelock to be able to move around while protected. Scripted movelock can be beaten by some orbiters but not many. Client side movelock in some 3rd party clients are unbeateble. NPV is also nonbeatable.

Guide followers off-world or no-script parcels. Or "reflect" them back to the griefer.

AR if other stuff fail. Or if the grief is just so annoying you think the person deserve being AR'ed. I dont AR every noob who is just testing some freebie toy.

Avoid "shield rezzers". These eye candy toys protect you only from very weak attacks. And they waste lots of sim resources. For them to be even somewhat reliable they need to have tons of sensors firing very rapidly and they rez stuff rapidly. Not worth the lag just to be protected from watermelon launcher or other old guns.

• Like 1

Abuse Report, as stated above, is the way to go. (^_^)

Also, don't ever "fight back".  If there's any greater griefing tool on the grid, it's the false abuse report.  To break the rules is to know the rules and dare you violate any a griefer will use it to contrive a spotless report which may cost you an hour or more. (>_<)

Report it, teleport elsewhere, and let the Labbies sort it out. (^_^)y

• Like 1

Thanks, SirRoss.

AR was the first thing I had in mind but I didn't think it was big enough of a deal since I suspected the person was a juvenile. I normally hang around in Hippo sandbox ( It's pretty peaceful there and plenty of teaching materials I can use) but the other day the sim was down so I had to move to LL Sandbox. I got nuked by unknown assailant quite a lot that day that I had to sit on the ground to stop pushing and working on my stuff in a panthom setting..

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this info Liisa.

I think I may need to clear that what I meant by anti-stalker was actually anti-griefer tool like the NPV you have mentioned. I read about the 'Reflect' function it has and thought it would be a cool feature to use but I would assumed it would use a lot of resources and may cause more damage than anything else. I wasn't sure if it would backfired at me and ended up being banned myself.

Willow Danube wrote:

Thanks so much for this info Liisa.

I read about the 'Reflect' function it has and thought it would be a cool feature to use but I would assumed it would use a lot of resources and may cause more damage than anything else. I wasn't sure if it would backfired at me and ended up being banned myself.

Reflect dont use much resources. But it could be concidered as griefing. And LL is not very famous for investigating AR's in depth.Being passive and showing the griefers that you are immune is usually the best way.

When you hangout at LL sandboxes often, you get to know the different types of griefers and you see when it i best to bump back and when it is best to just AR. I noticed im quite zen these days. Have not pulled my gun out from the dusty inventory for months.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.