How do I locate or teleport to a friend without them sending me an invite?

StarQuestor Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would like to know if it is possible to locate someone on the grid who isn't in the same sim you are WITHOUT asking them. In other words, is it possible to find someone who is online and in your friends list or not without asking them or letting on  you are trying to get to them?

Thank  you all for your replies. OF COURSE I want to know the answer to this for less then honorable intentions...LOL. Because if someone out there actually can do this, and its not obvious how then it is something I wanted to know how to do. I had a private invistigation business in SL a couple years ago but got out of that after some months. But I still get queries about how to track people. Of course I have all the best HUDs and know how to TP to anyone in the same sim. If this were something simple I wouldn't have asked the question.  It seems those who created SL have created a fool proof way for people to keep their privacy. I had known about the permissions you can set in friends list. I've been on SL for years so I'm no amateur but I never heard this question addressed and when someone today asked me if it could be done I thought I'd put it out here on the forum. I had scoured the forum before posting and this question is not addressed anywhere. There are a lot of jealous "partners" and significant others in SL who want to be able to to just pop in on their cheating mates...I suppose from the cheaters point of view, they can feel secure that, while they can be detected as being "online" in SL, no one they know will suddenly pop in on them unexpectedly.  ....Still, you would think that if someone is logged in SL, you should be able to not only know they are logged in which I can do with a HUD regardless if they select the "appear offline" with my name in thier list, but also be able to pinpoint whatever sim they are in and just go to the sim...i.e. when you pull up the main map, you would see the YELLOW dots of where your friends are...Oh well...the cheaters are still safe till some genius figures out how to crack this problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

5 answers to this question

If the person is on your friends list you can ask them to allow their location to be seen by you......you can then TP to them.  Otherwise, the answer is no.  You must have their permission to TP to you in either case.

Why do you want to sneak up on anyone?  Whenever I see these things, I think there's a motive somewhere that is less than honorable.  Sorry, that's just the way I am.

• Like 1

It's possible if the friend allows it as there is a setting in the friends profile for that.  But no, not as you have asked for.  You can find out if anyone is online.....that's a simple thing.  But knowing where they are on the grid is far more complex unless they decide to disclose that location to you in their friends list.

--Cinn

There are viewers with Radar that allow you to find people and tp to them. The range is limited. 512m ? I've seen ranges listed up to 4,098m but I've never tried to tp or cam to anyone that far away.

Some viewers allow you to send the camera to them without a tp, if you really want ot be sneaky. But, that too has a range limit.

There are stalker HUD's that have various capabilities. That these tools are labeled 'spy' and similar things should give you some clue they are not favorably looked on by the majority of residents.

Just as there are HUD's for finding people, there are HUD's that warn people when they are being spied on or people are approaching.

Don't get all excited about getting spy devices. A new parcel setting is in the works that will allow a privacy setting. It is server side so it will presumably be harder to defeat. 

• Like 1

You have the answers on how to do this but suggest that you may not want to....often people who send random teleports, mass im's and/or appear unannounced or invited, find themselves removed from friends lists.  There are many things you "can" do in SL but that doesn't mean you "should"

RL courtesy still applies

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.