having trouble in login

saam321

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am using windows 7 and its my first time to login to SL.I downloaded it's version 2.7.2.It's installed perfectly but whenever i try to login it loads fonts,decode images and when come for waiting for region hand shake it gives the following message.

""WE ARE HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING.THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION OR THE SECOND LIFE GRID""

My internet connection is working perfectly.please help me out from this problem.any help appreciated.

I have not seen that problem often, but here is a report tht might be relevant:

Get logged out a lot? Check your router

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/01/kit-get-logged-out-lot-check-your.html

SL uses ports that are not commonly used on the web, so it is sometimes blocked by firewalls and atrivirus programs. 

Norton is known to create problems.  I use MS security essesntials and have no problems.

I am using win 7 64 and know of many other SL users with win 7. 

TKR

You should not manually open ports.   A few times Windows Firewall has asked me for approval on opening ports for Second life -- that only gives Second Life permission to use the port.  You would only approve opening a port if you trust the software    If this is a port issue, I would have expected your firewall to request permission also.  (I am using Win 7 also.)

My first suggestion reflects my bias about virus protection: If you are not using Microsoft Security Essentials (free download from MS), I suggest that you download it, remove what your are now using, and Immediate/y install the MS product.  I know I have no SL problems from Security Essentials.   

After you do that, remove you current copy of the viewer, download a fresh copy of the SL Setup program, and reinstall.  Watch for port permission requests during the install and be sure to give approval.  

If that does not fix the problem, you may have a partial failure in your router.  I have had that happen -- Internet works fine, but SL  does not because the router failure affects only those special ports.  

TKR 

i installed microsoft security essential and uninstalled my previous antivirus.i installed again second life viewer again from the following link

http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

but it's again doing pthe same problem.When it's come to waiting for region handshake while login in it gives the same messege again.

my pc have the following graphics card

Graphics Card Vendor: IntelGraphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2202

Is there any problem with it?

If the installer complains about your card, try to run SL anyway.  I have had that experience and could load anyway . Graphics were terrible, but that was because the installer set graphics to minimum.  Here are instructions on resetting the grapjhics.

Viewer 2.6, Main Screen, Upper left 

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/06/kit-viewer-26-main-screen-upper-left.html

Preferences: Graphics Tab. Quality Versus Lag

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/06/kit-preferences-graphics-tab-quality.html

TKR

You are so kind please let me out from this problem.

I'm using 2.7.2 version of Second Life.There is no problem with graphics card now but the same message is appearing :(.

WE'RE HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING.THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION OR THE SECOND LIFE GRID.

I am running 2.7.2 in win 7 64. with no problem , so that part is ok.  

You are getting 2 different kinds of error messages, so there may be 2 problems.   

Do all these in sequence 

Reset your modem and router (turn them off for a minute or so) then turn them back on.  

Remove Second Life (using windows remove under the control panel) 

Find this folder on your  computer and delete it

Users- (your name)- - AppData--  Roaming -- SecondLife

Reinstall Second Life.  Bypass any complaint about graphics card.  Watch for requests to open ports

Reboot your computer.   

Let the handshake try for at least 10 mins.

============

or try this if more convenient 

If you are using a laptop, see if you can find another place (different modem/router) to try to login.   

TKR

i updated my driver and done all that which you said but this message is coming every time i try to log in.

there is problem in your internet connection or second life grid.

well I'm using 32 bit windows 7 system.

I am sorry -- I am running low on solutions.

32 or 64 bit would not make a difference.  

Two more things to try -- load the window, but don't sign on.. Instead, click

Me- Preferences -- graphics  see that the graphics is set to low

Me- preferences - Setup -- Set bandwidth down to about 700

then try login again.  

Next step: Contact your isp, see if they can find a problem with your internet connection (are they blocking any ports?).

Don't open ports manually.  That is beyond risky.  We have exhausted the problems I know about.  I don't understand the problem and the diagnosis is only negative, not helpful.  If you can find  a way to get more diagnostic information, I might be able to solve the problem.  Otherwise, I think we are out of options.   I commend your persistence.  

TKR 

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Second life is in my windows firewall allowed programs.I'm not getting why it's doing problem.

Sometimes I entered password wrong and it prompted me to enter the correct password.It means it's connected to net.But then that failure occures after loading upto region of handshake.

There is no quuestion that you are connecting.  The fact that it hangs at handshake suggest s a port block or failure.  The router might be at fault -- I have seen routers fail before, but have not seen a handshake failure as the result.  Routers sometimes fail on a port used by SL, but not by browesers.;  It you can borrow another router, you could try that. 

TKR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.