Can't install ReShade for Firestorm Viewer

Saki Bunny

Question

Hi, so for some reason i am unable to install and run reshade with firestorm. I am running the latest version of both (and i have pbr enabled). I am able to go through the reshade setup launcher and manually select firestorm (as it does not show up in the default list), which it then says it installs to. I am also able to see the files and folders it has installed within my firestorm programme path on my C drive. However, when i go to run firestorm, i do not get the reshade loading bar at the top like i do in other games, and as is shown in all the tutorials. Instead, i just get nothing. the shortcut for opening reshade in firestorm also does not work. do any of you know what i am maybe doing wrong?

I should also note that, when installing reshade, i am selecting the directX 10/11/12 option as i am on a windows machine and, according to my research, this tends to run better than openGL (although i am a little rusty as far as my knowledge surrounding this is concerned). I wonder if this may have anything to do with it. As far as my graphics card, I have an NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 and have never really had any issues with directx related things before. I know i have directx installed on my pc (windows 11) as i am able to run the directx diagnostic tool to view my system information, so i really do not think directx itself is the thing causing the issue.

That all being said, i would love some input/advice on this as it is driving me crazy. I just want to be able to take pretty pictures in firestorm instead of having to use black dragon.

Edited by Saki Bunny
forgot to add tags
  • Haha 1

7 answers to this question

The software was designed for OpenGL 21 years ago and has been that way ever since. However, in June 2018, Apple deprecated OpenGL APIs on all of their platforms (iOS, macOS and tvOS), strongly encouraging developers to use their proprietary Metal API, which was introduced in 2014. It's a matter of time before SL revises its code.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Isn't directX for PC only?  OpenGL could be used for windows, Apple, and Linux and probably why LL used it from the start?

yes so opengl was intended for essentially "everyone" to use, whilst directx is mostly for windows, especially newer windows systems yeah

21 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The software was designed for OpenGL 21 years ago and has been that way ever since. However, in June 2018, Apple deprecated OpenGL APIs on all of their platforms (iOS, macOS and tvOS), strongly encouraging developers to use their proprietary Metal API, which was introduced in 2014. It's a matter of time before SL revises its code.

ahh i see. oh well, thanks for letting me know! ❤️ i'll download the opengl version then ^^

On 8/21/2024 at 7:53 PM, Saki Bunny said:

Hi, so for some reason i am unable to install and run reshade with firestorm

You shouldn't be running rehade with any SL viewer. SL isn't your standard AAA "Game".

and manually select firestorm (as it does not show up in the default list)

A subtle hint that reshade and SL viewers are not really compatible.

i am selecting the directX 10/11/12 option as i am on a windows machine and, according to my research, this tends to run better than openGL

Well, that's a fail right there, SL viewers do NOT use any form of DirectX, they are currently ALL OpenGL, except one half finished experimental viewer that might use Vulkan.

On 8/21/2024 at 9:28 PM, Saki Bunny said:

can i ask how come? is it because it's such an old software

Same reason any software uses OpenGL, cross platform, for use on Windows, Awful Mac or Linux.