Linden Grass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Still trying to figure out where to post some things in these new fora.

Does anyone know how the basic Linden grass works, and if anyone makes better versions? What I mean is that the grass that comes in the basic inventory is pretty amazing if you look at what it does. Somehow, with one prim, it drops a bunch of seperate pieces of grass over an area, conforming to the land height. So far I have not been able to track down anyone that makes anything similar. Why not use the linden grass you ask .. well apart for looking for something a bit more real, as well I want something that does not have full bright set :-)

Thanks in advance!

Linden Grass is basically a bunch of 2-sided planes with flat 1-bit alpha textures on them. It will always conform to surface of the ground you rez it on. Each instance takes up only 1 prim.

There are sculpted alternatives with better texture work. Try looking in the marketplace.

We peons can't make grass that conforms to land automatically, only a Linden can do that. So you won't find any others in the marketplace, just as you won't find trees that are quite like the Linden ones. The closest you can get in the marketplace are the sculpted ground covers, many of which are really nice. You can bury part of them in the ground to make them fit, but they can't follow the landscape.

I agree that the stuff is amazing.  Re-terraform and the Linden grass (eventually) reconfigures itself to the new terrain.  And that one-bit alpha means that there's never any alpha-sorting problems.

But yeah, that one-bit alpha mask makes the textures look pretty crude.  They are not, however, full bright, so I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

[ETA:  There are also particle grasses that are better suited to some applications than are sculpted (or, soon, Mesh) grasses.  They're not any more like the Linden grasses, really, just a different approach.]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.