Size of Outfit Images

Outfit images used to be limited to 256x256. I don't know what the limit is now, but it is equal to at least 1024x1024.

It seems that higher-resolution images would be good to have, as they contain more detail, but there might be a resource cast. Is there? What are the trade-offs, if any?

The ”inventory thumbnails” (the name says it all, about their size) are not charged to you: they are uploaded for free, even for someone with a free account.

But they are not free for LL to store in the SL database, and the smaller, the less storage used, the cheaper; a 1024x2024 texture takes 16 times more space than a 256x256 one (a bit less, once compressed to JPEG2000, but this is still the same order of magnitude).

Not to mention they would become a resource hog, should everyone use inventory ”thumbnails” (not thumbnails any more) at 1K resolution for every outfit or inventory item (since not limited to outfits) they got in their inventory.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

I did some experiments and answered my own question. I made 256x256, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, and 4096x4096 versions of a picture. I uploaded each as the image for an outfit. They were all displayed the same size, and I couldn't tell a difference in resolution when they were displayed right after upload or any other time. When I displayed them by right clicking on the outfit folder in inventory and clicking image, or by hovering the cursor over it, the two highest resolution images were much slower to load than the others, indicating that their resolutions had not been reduced when they were uploaded. The textures were not in inventory like they used to be.

I conclude that there is no advantage to using larger textures for this purpose. Now I wonder why they are allowed to be used, since they consume resources to no purpose. It seems especially strange, since when there would have been an advantage to using larger ones, they were not allowed, and now, when there is none, they are. The advantage previously would have been because they were stored in inventory and could be used for other purposes for which the higher resolution might be helpful.

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I did some experiments and answered my own question. I made 256x256, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, and 4096x4096 versions of a picture. I uploaded each as the image for an outfit. They were all displayed the same size, and I couldn't tell a difference in resolution when they were displayed right after upload or any other time. When I displayed them by right clicking on the outfit folder in inventory and clicking image, or by hovering the cursor over it, the two highest resolution images were much slower to load than the others, indicating that their resolutions had not been reduced when they were uploaded. The textures were not in inventory like they used to be.

The inventory thumbnails are all resized to 256x256 pixels max, even if you are using a 2K texture as the base for one such thumbnail. Also, your 4K texture will be downsized to 2K on upload, even for other usages.