Is there any blender support for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For a long time I thought SL supported stuff built or edited in Blender. So today I downloaded vanilla SL viewer but didn't find any function that can upload anything created in blender? No .obj support, no .dae support, only support is 2D image files. I was wondering if there is some plugin I have to install to SL to support uploading meshes? Thanks.

I think you will find most of your answers here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh

There are quite a few links leading to other sources for information.  Mesh is currently limited to the Aditi grid and is in the beta release only..........it's not part of the main grid and is in no viewer except the beta viewer designed expressly for mesh.  There is a specific format for mesh import but I'm not quite ready to throw my hand in the mesh creating thing yet.  I believe that format is "Collada"............but I'm not at sure about that.  I think Blender can save to whatever format the mesh import requires.  If not I'm sure the "Mesh Group" folks can help you get your Blender created mesh to the correct format........I've read enough of the Mesh topics to know some of the folks are using Blender.

Nooo... If you're making sculpties, that's different.  You can make sculpties just fine in Blender.  You ought to go to http://blog.machinimatrix.org/jass/ and download either the free JASS-2 or the inexpensive but nicer JASS-2 PRO, which installs Blender, Python, and the plugin necessary for creating and exporting sculpties to SL as an integerated package.  Using Blender with JASS-2 to make sculpties is quick and painless.  You save the working files as .blender files and export your UV maps as TGA files to SL.

Hmm having problem with the Jass 2 program... I opened a blender project and tried to export a sculptie map by going to Render -> bake sculpt mesh, like shown in the tutorial, but absolutely nothing happens O_o I tried selecting and deselecting my object and going into all sorts of modes, but the map preview window just stays either black or an empty grid... Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do before exporting a sculptmap? Thanks.

You should be able to just select your entire object in Edit mode and then Render >> Bake Sculpt Meshes >>> BAKE .  That should create the UV map for you.  You don't have to mess with any of the settings on the final scren. I have only had that process fail once, and I still don't understand how I did it.  There was a small artifact on the screen (from an earlier object that I had failed to delete completely, maybe?) and was keeping me from baking.  Gaia Clary was kind enough to help me track down the problem, which has not recurred since then.

Yeah no matter what I do the UV map window stays blank (alternates between an empty grid or a black palette, not sure how I switched between these two), not even an error message or so much as a second of loading... Guess I'll microscope in and see if there are problematic objects or something...

You might do well to start a new thread in this forum with that specific problem in the title, since this thread has wandered off its original focus.  That's likely to get more attention from the real experts.  :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.