Jump to content

PBR dragging you down, try Cool VL Viewer


Jase Devin
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have tried a lot of the viewers since Firestorm pushed their new Version 7.1.xx Viewer and one that stands out is Cool VL Viewer. It has RLV, only thing it lacks is the buttons, but the Creator Henri says you can program them using LUA scripting.

CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600KF (3500 MHz)
Memory: 65376MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 11 64 bits v11.0 (build 22631.3810)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070/PCIE/SSE2
Windows graphics driver version: 31.00.0015.5123
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 551.23
Detected VRAM: 8192MB

Linden Viewer PBR (pbr on):  28.7 fps

Cool Vl Viewer PBR (pbr on):  102.4 fps

All settings the same, Certainly worth a look.

 

pbr.thumb.jpg.c9db966481c39bca76342b38533d005c.jpg

 

Cool.thumb.jpg.daacca0fe0ab2025c50e5285dd52a3bf.jpg

 

Edited by Jase Devin
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tree on the side may just be a texture rezzing problem. The different water reflections obscure the under-floor scenery, but I'm not sure that means it's not still being rendered. The CoolVLViewer setting has the mesh detailed cranked to 11 (full+boost), the only thing I'm not sure of is if the LL viewer has shadows enabled which would make a big difference.

CVV is looking really good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, the barebones are good; I notice a reasonable boost of FPS, but also sometimes half the scene  renders; no matter what you do or how long you wait.

It also lacks features that other viewers have, such as a search bar on the Preferences or a Client-side AO, the mouselook sensitivity is not calibrated very well; very low values feel like standard ones. If you press ESC while camming, it does not reset your camera. On some viewers you have the possibility to stop receiving IMs from groups, you can not on Cool VL, you just can "Snooze" it. I don't seem to find the feature to hide my Look-at targets...

There is also some unneccesary things such as these as well:

 

iXdQjEh.png

 

It also has some other features that are good such as HUD scaling being more meaningful, and I love the old UI more than the new one. I also notice some more control on the graphics, and the tooltips are great.

I think Cool VL is in a good track, but is years away from Firestorm or Alchemy.

Edited by Gimme Morehead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Gimme Morehead said:

but also sometimes half the scene  renders; no matter what you do or how long you wait.

Care to elaborate ?... The Cool VL Viewer is a super-fast rezzer. If anything gets stuck, it's likely not its fault. If using its Windows flavour, did you white-list the viewer cache with your antivirus ?...

54 minutes ago, Gimme Morehead said:

If you press ESC while camming, it does not reset your camera.

It's SHIFT ESC. Please, read the menus (the shortcuts are listed), the tool tips in the settings, and the support forum. For example: Cool VL Viewer features shortcuts

56 minutes ago, Gimme Morehead said:

On some viewers you have the possibility to stop receiving IMs from groups, you can not on Cool VL

Yes, you can !... See the ”Groups” floater...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

If using its Windows flavour, did you white-list the viewer cache with your antivirus ?...

Yeah, what happened is that I logged in. Teleported to a sim and waited for over 5 minutes (I left it there). About half of the prims on the scene were invisible. I tried right clicking where they were supposed to be, and also raising and lowering my draw distance. Nothing happened. I teleported out of the sim, and then back to find the exact same half rezzed scene. This has happened at least twice in the last couple of days.

 

I do not know anything about white-listing my viewer's cache with my antivirus because I use Windows Defender and I have never done it. What should I white list, the folder?

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

It's SHIFT ESC. Please, read the menus (the shortcuts are listed), the tool tips in the settings, and the support forum. For example: Cool VL Viewer features shortcuts

Thanks!

 

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Yes, you can !... See the ”Groups” floater...

I will have a look next time I log in. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Gimme Morehead said:

I tried right clicking where they were supposed to be, and also raising and lowering my draw distance. Nothing happened.

The viewer got an automatic object visibility refresh feature (after login, sim crossing or TP) to solve ”missing objects” (which impacts all viewers). If your network is slow enough, the delay between the sim connection and the refresh may be too low (you can adjust it with the ”ObjectsVisibilityAutoRefreshDelay” debug setting, if needed).

But you can also refresh manually at any time with ALT SHIFT R (or Advanced -> Rendering -> Refresh visibility of objects).

In PBR mode, you might also encounter disappearing of non-rezzing objects, due to an occlusion culling bug (PBR badly broke the latter and it is not yet fully repaired). See this known bug issue for the details and the workaround.

25 minutes ago, Gimme Morehead said:

I do not know anything about white-listing my viewer's cache with my antivirus because I use Windows Defender and I have never done it. What should I white list, the folder?

Yes, the ”CoolVLViewer” cache folder in C:\Users\your_account_name_here\AppData\Local\

If you don't do this, the anti-virus will scan all cached and temporary files created by the viewer, and this can really bring your system on its knees.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Regarding missing objects on login (in PBR rendering mode only: the ALM/forward renderer is not affected), I can confirm this is a bug, and I got it fixed for Saturday's release. See this message for details and for the temporary workaround.

Hello sir, I am testing/using Cool in localhost install of opensim. 0.92. it says it has PBR, and 0.93 definitely does (But I see no specific downloads for 0.93 anywhere on opensimulator.org). Is there anything I need to do to activate PBR (activated in settings, but don't know if it's taking). Would like to continue my asset for SL testing in localhost and not bother with Aditi, thanks. If there is a topic on your own site covering this, point me to that if exists, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

Hello sir, I am testing/using Cool in localhost install of opensim. 0.92. it says it has PBR, and 0.93 definitely does (But I see no specific downloads for 0.93 anywhere on opensimulator.org). Is there anything I need to do to activate PBR (activated in settings, but don't know if it's taking). Would like to continue my asset for SL testing in localhost and not bother with Aditi, thanks. If there is a topic on your own site covering this, point me to that if exists, thanks.

Sorry, but this is an OpenSim server issue... Please, ask to the support team for the OpenSim server software: I am not one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 9:48 AM, Henri Beauchamp said:

Regarding missing objects on login (in PBR rendering mode only: the ALM/forward renderer is not affected), I can confirm this is a bug, and I got it fixed for Saturday's release. See this message for details and for the temporary workaround.

In fact, you can get the fixed version (v1.32.2.5) today already, since I will have other stuff to attend to tomorrow morning, so I published it this evening instead...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...