Warning to those considering getting premium + for a month to use concierge service...

Recently a family member was on the hunt for a nice Linden homes parcel. They already had Premium yearly plan. Try after try, to find a nice location, the Linden homes page just kept recycling the same few locations over and over, even though there were over a thousand free.

Finally gave up and got a month of premium + to use concierge service to be able to pick a location. What we didn't know is if you go from premium yearly to premium monthly, you are locked into premium + until your initial yearly premium (non-plus) fee is used up. There is no way to switch back from premium + monthly to premium yearly. OK, so what you might ask? Because that initial fee of $99 should have extended into next year if switching back were allowed. Instead it will only last 3 more months.

Now that I have written this, Nika Telaj's reply to one of my other posts pointed me to a thread from last year describing the same issue, right down to the same non-randomness of the location choices made by the Linden Homes page.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Sorry this happened and it is good that you posted about it to warn others.

There is an open issue here https://feedback.secondlife.com/ldpw/p/change-linden-home-selection-process that has not yet been decided upon so people might wanna upvote it.

Note however, if your scheme had worked the way you thought it would, that might not have been good. Basically, you wanted a yearly Premium membership and also wanted to make a one time payment to be able to pick a Linden Home. The problem is that your estimated one time payment did not work out and it turned out to be excessive. If LL actually offered this option at a reasonable price, then they likely would never fix the root issue, which is that the algorithm keeps giving you the same house.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the warning.

Reading these forums, I've always got the impression that you could just upgrade to Premium Plus for a month in the middle of your yearly Premium membership, and then downgrade after a month to resume the rest of your Premium year. 

I've always thought that was the way till I saw Nika mentioning this earlier this week. Glad to find out that it doesn't work that way before I make the same mistake.

Edited by Vixen Firehart
added something
  • Like 2

Same happened to me but I was wondering if after the Monthly Premium Plus runs out does it automatically renew my yearly premium starting fresh or will I have to renew manually or will I suddenly loose my Linden Home until I manually renew. So damn confusing and always some sort of issue.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dune Ravenwood said:

Same happened to me but I was wondering if after the Monthly Premium Plus runs out does it automatically renew my yearly premium starting fresh or will I have to renew manually or will I suddenly loose my Linden Home until I manually renew. So damn confusing and always some sort of issue.

If the Monthly Premium Plus runs out, it will automatically renew the Premium Plus plan for another month, unless you explicitly choose another plan. You can check this easily by logging your avatar into the Second Life website, choosing "Account" from the left-hand sidebar menu, and then "Account Summary".  It will tell you both the current membership plan that avatar is on, and the auto-renewal date for it. 

If you wish to downgrade to Premium, go to the website before your Premium Plus auto-renews, and choose "Change Membership".  You can then start a new Premium plan, of whatever duration you choose.  The new plan will take effect after the last day of your previous (Premium Plus) plan.

You will not lose your Linden Home unless you do not have a working payment method configured, or choose "Basic" as your membership plan.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

If the Monthly Premium Plus runs out, it will automatically renew the Premium Plus plan for another month, unless you explicitly choose another plan. You can check this easily by logging your avatar into the Second Life website, choosing "Account" from the left-hand sidebar menu, and then "Account Summary".  It will tell you both the current membership plan that avatar is on, and the auto-renewal date for it. 

If you wish to downgrade to Premium, go to the website before your Premium Plus auto-renews, and choose "Change Membership".  You can then start a new Premium plan, of whatever duration you choose.  The new plan will take effect after the last day of your previous (Premium Plus) plan.

You will not lose your Linden Home unless you do not have a working payment method configured, or choose "Basic" as your membership plan.

Thank you now I can exhale 😉  lol 

On 7/5/2024 at 11:30 PM, Phate Shepherd said:

What we didn't know is if you go from premium yearly to premium monthly, you are locked into premium + until your initial yearly premium (non-plus) fee is used up

IF you sign up for a year, how long you think you sign up? ( "if" can be exchanged with "when" )

You did know, just not read.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Unless something has changed recently, the system will NOT allow you to choose "Basic" as your membership plan while you have a Linden Home. That option is "grayed out" if you have a linden home.

Along the same line, you cannot downgrade from Premium Plus (PP) to Premium while you have a Ranch or Mediterranean home. However, if you have a 1024 linden home, then the system will allow you to downgrade from PP to premium when the current PP plan expires. But as the OP pointed out, if you upgrade an annual premium to monthly PP, you are stuck in monthly PP until your prepaid money is all used up.

However, if you are near-ish the end of your annual premium (say 2 or 3 months left) then it may still be worth it to upgrade to PP monthly, then when that month expires, pay another $99 and go back to annual premium. $99 annual works out to 8.25 a month. So if your remainder is 3 months, that is only $24.75 USD, which is less than the $29 that one month Premium plus costs. But if you have 4 months, then you loose money doing that.  Depending on the amount of time you have left on your annual PP, it will determine if it is a decent financial deal to upgrade to monthly PP to get a desired location.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

IF you sign up for a year, how long you think you sign up? ( "if" can be exchanged with "when" )

You did know, just not read.

You do understand that when switching plans, a year is not a year?

I have no problem that it prorated a $99 plan switching from premium to premium plus, essentially shortening the year plan to compensate for the higher premium + price. What I don't see stated is that you CAN'T go back in the other direction. You must wait until the premium + expires before you can switch to a lower plan.

So, you get a $99 yearly premium plan. In month 1 you switch to premium plus monthly for one month. Now your year long plan will only last roughly 4 months because it is premium + now (As expected, I have no issue with that). After one more month, you want to switch back to premium yearly. You can't. You must wait until the 4 + months before you can switch back. What I expected to happen is that if I switch back to premium I will get roughly 8 months out of my $99 original payment instead of 12 because of the 1 month premium plus bump in the middle of the plan.

When you try to go from premium yearly to premium plus monthly: IT SHOULD NOT ALLOW YOU TO SELECT PREMUM PLUS MONTHLY because you are going to be locked into a prorated yearly plan anyway.

Edited by Phate Shepherd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phate Shepherd said:

IT SHOULD NOT ALLOW YOU TO SELECT PREMUM PLUS MONTHLY because you are going to be locked into a prorated yearly plan anyway.

when you don't know things, can't find a clear explanation, and/ or when you don't understand things, ASK support before you click something... or find out and pay for it... 

All sales with LL are final.
That's told éverywhere.

17 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

when you don't know things, can't find a clear explanation, and/ or when you don't understand things, ASK support before you click something... or find out and pay for it... 

All sales with LL are final.
That's told éverywhere.

You can't tell people they're responsible for reading a contract. They know this. They just can't stop pretending they don't. 😁

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 7:47 AM, Phate Shepherd said:

When you try to go from premium yearly to premium plus monthly: IT SHOULD NOT ALLOW YOU TO SELECT PREMUM PLUS MONTHLY because you are going to be locked into a prorated yearly plan anyway.

Fascinating.  Question for you: when you got your 4+ months, I assume you got 4+ months at the monthly Premium Plus rate ($29.99/mo), not at a prorated yearly rate ($20.75/mo), correct?  That would make sense since you requested a monthly plan.

I don't know if disallowing a transition from Premium yearly to Premium Plus monthly would be the best solution.  If an alt is near the end of a yearly membership, the current behavior might be perfect for some folks. 

For GOH players, it would have been better if LL had introduced PP with a special monthly membership that suspends your current membership plan for one month, instead of applying the remaining part of a premium membership to a new monthly PP plan. Hindsight is 20/20.  I don't know if it would be at all practical to implement that now.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 10:32 AM, Nika Talaj said:

Fascinating.  Question for you: when you got your 4+ months, I assume you got 4+ months at the monthly Premium Plus rate ($29.99/mo), not at a prorated yearly rate ($20.75/mo), correct?  That would make sense since you requested a monthly plan.

That is where I am having trouble figuring out exactly what they were charging. After switching plans, it marked as being on the $30 a month PP plan, but after trying to change back to the yearly premium (not PP) plan, it was marked as PP yearly plan. Since they said the expiration would be in October, monthly fees would have totaled more than the original $99 fee, so it must have been a prorated PP yearly fee.