Using Voice on Tower PC's

Obviously, in order to use voice, a tower would require a microphone. But is it possible to LISTEN to other people voicing without a webcam or microphone plugged in? I couldn't listen to a voice conversation yesterday on FS PBR. I went through my settings with 2 people, and my settings were correct. Is there a flag in the code somewhere that turns off voice totally without full I/O? I could hear background sounds, and music when it was turned on.

I have always had towers and could always listen and talk when needed (machinima interviews only) with a headset.  Firestorm has a page to go through the steps to fix voice. Sometimes I have had to toggle on and off. Not a tower thing as far as I know. COULD be a Windows update thing (especially win11) as I lost all input and output on my notebook and awhile back.  I can happily use input speakers.  It was a VERY BAD update a few weeks ago.  Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Whenever I bother having voice enable, I can always hear without having anything else plugged in.  I have had to reinstall the viewer a time or two when it stopped working for some reason.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have always had towers and could always listen and talk when needed (machinima interviews only) with a headset.  Firestorm has a page to go through the steps to fix voice. Sometimes I have had to toggle on and off. Not a tower thing as far as I know. COULD be a Windows update thing (especially win11) as I lost all input and output on my notebook and awhile back.  I can happily use input speakers.  It was a VERY BAD update a few weeks ago.  Good luck. 

Thanks!!!I don't have a headset, just headphones. I don't have any problems with sound, except hearing voice on FS. I will reread the FS page. I will also try to plugin a webcam out of curiosity. And I am NO fan of Win!!! I will check to see if voice comes through on my TV, which is my monitor, since the sound goes through my video card.

• Like 1

All viewers have a separate control for voice I/O devices. Firestorm hides it exceptionally deeply, but in a sensible-enough place: Preferences / Sound & Media / Voice / Audio Device Settings. You should be able to choose from various Output devices (even if you choose "No device" for input).

Personally, I generally leave it on "Default" and then control it with the Windows sound settings, which means it changes along with everything else when I connect my Bluetooth earbuds or reverts to my (TV) monitor speaker output (a soundbar) when I don't have earbuds in, but I can select that all manually from that pulldown menu, too.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing you already tried all that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

All viewers have a separate control for voice I/O devices. Firestorm hides it exceptionally deeply, but in a sensible-enough place: Preferences / Sound & Media / Voice / Audio Device Settings. You should be able to choose from various Output devices (even if you choose "No device" for input).

Personally, I generally leave it on "Default" and then control it with the Windows sound settings, which means it changes along with everything else when I connect my Bluetooth earbuds or reverts to my (TV) monitor speaker output (a soundbar) when I don't have earbuds in, but I can select that all manually from that pulldown menu, too.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing you already tried all that.

I DID go through all of that I HAVEN'T gone through  all the steps on the FS voice issues page yet though. A job for after work!!!

• Like 1

Everything is working perfectly now!!! I HAD to have a microphone input for it to work. I bought a bluetooth headset with a mic. Windows wouldn't recognize SLVOICE without it, and I couldn't hear any voice without that recognized. I tried every combination I could think of. After I paired the headphone set and adjusted some Windows 11 settings, it just "worked". 

This is a Tower, not a Laptop.  That's why I had the issue. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Whenever I bother having voice enable, I can always hear without having anything else plugged in.  I have had to reinstall the viewer a time or two when it stopped working for some reason.

Were you on a Tower or Laptop? Which version of Windows? Or were you on a Mac? What Viewer were you using?

Edited by Bagnu