Will this laptop work well with SL?

Akasha Drezelan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

The hardware apart from the graca is more than big/fast enough for SL. The graca is a good midrange graca - that means it will be good enough to to play SL in a good resolution (SL setting mid to high) - I doubt that it is enough for an ultra setting. All in all, I would say an ok deal for 1500 $

As someone who has spent a long time getting, losing and trying to get shadows again *wink*, I can tell you that the most important thing is the graphics card. A new NVIDIA is best in that Linden Labs "prefers" that card and designs for it.  I had shadows on my old computer but when I got a new faster and better but with a ATI Radeon, not so good. I haven't tried Kirsten's viewer in the last few builds and it may be better now, but if you are looking for GOOD shadows you might want to take a look at this post on the Kirsten Viewer awards. It is on the best cards :D

http://www.kirstensviewer.com/Blog/177/__Kirstens_GPU_Awards_2011_!__.html

You could also write to the forums for Kirsten's viewer. Since most of the folks that are serious about great shadows, photography and such use this viewer, there will be people there that can answer your question. I "asked" the right questions before buying my new computer (my card is second in the Awards list but has had problems with shadows), but to the wrong people.

I haven't had a new notebook for awhile but if you can get one with a graphics card that you can replace, that would be great. The integrated ones are problematic, especially for shadows.

Hope that helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.