I've been in SL for two thirds of its existance

I turned 14 today... wish it was in RL, lol. As long as I got to know everything I know now about life, the universe and everything so I didn't waste being 14 again.

Sadly, for the first time in a long time, I'll be without a home in SL soon. I wasn't sure, but some important pieces falling off our car two days ago (it was 13 years old, in a continually wet climate that has finally rotted the undercarriage away) and needing to buy a new one has clinched it. Money's too tight to continue paying rent, and the few hundred pounds I make a year selling stuff here I'll have to withdraw to help pay the RL bills. My wife and I have made the car our 25th wedding anniversary present (which is in a week's time*).

As they say, "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish".

Naaahhh - you're not getting rid of me that easily. I'll still be around. Just loitering within tents - erected anywhere I can get away with it before some bailiff chases me off; backpacking around the Scotland Highlands makes some interesting memories! So, keep an eye on your lawns and watch for squatters in your lofts!

Don't know why I'm telling you really... not sure if I want birthday congratulations, sympathy, or maybe it's just the several very large whiskies I've just had. I'm hoping they will help me sleep (more than the six hours total I've had over the last two nights) so I stand a chance when I'm checking out the used car I'm thinking of buying tomorrow. Either that or I'll still be so drunk enough not to care.

I've just refilled my glass again (*hick*) so I'll say goodnight while I can still see the keyboard... and before the auto-speeling correction has a meltdown because I can barely type a single word correctly righ tnow.

*True story: My wife and I got together, after working in the same school for a year, one day over a drink in TGI Friday after work. She came home with me instead of going back to her abusive partner that she had a mortgage with (that cost her most of her belongings because the barsteward stole and sold them). Six days after we got together, I proposed (I had admired her from a distance for almost the entire year). Six weeks later to the day (as soon as we could possibly arrange legally) we were married at Gretna Green in Scotland; just the two of us there (no family; neither of us is close to them). In a week, that's 25 years ago. For SL relevance... she joined me in SL 12 years ago.

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Just loitering within tents - erected anywhere I can get away with it

We'll enjoy catching you "pitching a tent", as they say!

Good luck, and I hope you're not in the Forums less!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We'll enjoy catching you "pitching a tent", as they say!

Good luck, and I hope you're not in the Forums less!! 

Coming to a lawn near you!

Thanks, and I won't be once I sober up again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

I turned 14 today... wish it was in RL, lol. As long as I got to know everything I know now about life, the universe and everything so I didn't waste being 14 again.

Sadly, for the first time in a long time, I'll be without a home in SL soon. I wasn't sure, but some important pieces falling off our car two days ago (it was 13 years old, in a continually wet climate that has finally rotted the undercarriage away) and needing to buy a new one has clinched it. Money's too tight to continue paying rent, and the few hundred pounds I make a year selling stuff here I'll have to withdraw to help pay the RL bills. My wife and I have made the car our 25th wedding anniversary present (which is in a week's time*).

As they say, "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish".

Naaahhh - you're not getting rid of me that easily. I'll still be around. Just loitering within tents - erected anywhere I can get away with it before some bailiff chases me off; backpacking around the Scotland Highlands makes some interesting memories! So, keep an eye on your lawns and watch for squatters in your lofts!

Don't know why I'm telling you really... not sure if I want birthday congratulations, sympathy, or maybe it's just the several very large whiskies I've just had. I'm hoping they will help me sleep (more than the six hours total I've had over the last two nights) so I stand a chance when I'm checking out the used car I'm thinking of buying tomorrow. Either that or I'll still be so drunk enough not to care.

I've just refilled my glass again (*hick*) so I'll say goodnight while I can still see the keyboard... and before the auto-speeling correction has a meltdown because I can barely type a single word correctly righ tnow.

*True story: My wife and I got together, after working in the same school for a year, one day over a drink in TGI Friday after work. She came home with me instead of going back to her abusive partner that she had a mortgage with (that cost her most of her belongings because the barsteward stole and sold them). Six days after we got together, I proposed (I had admired her from a distance for almost the entire year). Six weeks later to the day (as soon as we could possibly arrange legally) we were married at Gretna Green in Scotland; just the two of us there (no family; neither of us is close to them). In a week, that's 25 years ago. For SL relevance... she joined me in SL 12 years ago.

Happy rez day! @Rick Nightingale

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Thanks 2

Happy Rez Day.
Good luck with the car and congratulations on your relationship - it seems strong.
That's worth much more than money imho.

As for SL - same here. I had a place in SL, it was really nice. I miss it sometimes.
But the cost of living in RL forced some changes and some things had to go, the SL place was one of them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

My rezday's next month and will also be 14 years 😏 But I quit around 2014 until 2020, and have only been on a few times this year, so it's more like 5 years really 🥴 

I'd love to go back to 14 knowing what I know now...I'd be a billionaire (maybe!)

13 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

SL homes are overrated, you're better off wandering free like a vagabond 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I'd love to go back to 14 knowing what I know now...I'd be a billionaire (maybe!)

Yep, you and me both! And I would have a lot of fun doing it.

I had an account in SL about three years earlier than this one. I took a quick look and then forgot all about SL, including my log in details, so when I came back I just made a new account.

Rick Nightingale hoists his rucksack onto his back again, and trudges off towards mainland in search of adventure and a hot bowl of ramen.

• Like 3

i lived in sandboxes for most of my sl life.  it's not so bad :)

belisaria has some sort of trash pickup route game you can try.  ...or supposedly?  i've never actually seen it, or its user group, in action.  i dunno!  wandering around picking up trash is a thing you can do.  don't need a home.  loiter near other peoples' homes... :X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Happy Rezday 🎂  I hope you are not suffering too much from yesterday's festivities 🙃  I used to rent really inexpensive places and pay it off by playing Lindo a few hours a week.  I sort of made a game of it in itself, like having a virtual second job and paying the bills, it was a fun endeavor that some games have made an entire genre of, a survivalist game 🤣. Second Life, survival mode, too bad there is not a HUD to keep track of the achievements. But, it was not so bad as  I mostly just danced to the music I would listen to, while watching TV in the background or browsing the web. 

For larger regions of land, I just host a var region on OSGrid to let myself go wild with my creativity. It uses surprisingly little resources, considering they keep all of your assets on their side and you don't need to run the grid, just the sim.  Plus it is free, so there is that.

Oh, and happy Anniversary! Twenty Five years!  Geesh, that is awesome!  Congrats! 🥳🎈🎉

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I would happily set you up a small home with some nice landscaping if you like. My male alt has an under-utilized 2048 worth of land I have one other tenant on (in a skybox) and if ground level and a small Scarlet or Trompe home is what you need, please let me know in world.

And happy rez day!!!!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

SL homes are overrated, you're better off wandering free like a vagabond 😎

Wish I had one... but enough of them are open houses so I can take a nap in one occasionally, and raid the fridge, liquor cabinet, etc. I log in most of the time via Adult hubs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd love to go back to 06 and re-live my nooby days. The mysterious and magical feeling SL had back then was quite unmatched (its still there sure but when you were a nooby it was ten times the feeling). Happy rez day and congrats my man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I would happily set you up a small home with some nice landscaping

That is a wonderful, kind offer, thank you so much!

I've been thinking that I might keep a premium membership going, given that I can withdraw the stipend along with my sales so it will only cost me about £40 a year out of my earnings here. I don't spend much on anything else in life for myself (apart from whisky*, lol) so I think that's reasonable. If I do, I might even get a Linden home for the first time, just for a place to rez in etc.

If not I might give you a shout though; I really appreciate your offer. You've made my day with it, you really have.

* Not just whisky. Tonight I made us some classic margaritas; Patron silver tequila, Cointreau, fresh lime juice and a dash of agave syrup, served ice cold from the shaker in a salt rimmed glass. Half a litre of that between us and we're very happy :D

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

* Not just whisky. Tonight I made us some classic margaritas; Patron silver tequila, Cointreau, fresh lime juice and a dash of agave syrup, served ice cold from the shaker in a salt rimmed glass. Half a litre of that between us and we're very happy :D

:P🍸🍹🔥

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Tonight I made us some classic margaritas

If I didn't stop drinking around the time of COVID, I'd be drinking tequila every day!

You can't truly call tequila with a splash of OJ a "margarita", but I was using the $$$$ stuff and that's what I liked to have.

• Like 2