A weird Seraphim website issue......

Okay so maybe not a usual question regarding SL, but as there are a lot of smart peeps here lol can anyone help??  I use Seraphim a lot to check out new events etc. Today for some reason the website graphics are huge, to the point where they're starting to blur! I want my normal Seraphim back but I can't figure it out. My zoom is at 100%, I changed my font size to small to see if that would help and nothing. It's the only website that's doing this as well, which makes me feel like I've caused it somehow. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

It looks like they may have redid some things on the site.. For me everything looks more to the left and a little bigger images..

This is just a guess, but maybe clearing the temporary internet files will help.

Posted (edited)

Try a different web browser? I use Firefox, and there are some website just won't work right in it because 'google chrome'.

There are some things that just don't translate well across browsers (mostly thanks to google trying to dominate the internet and oust competition with chrome and google's insistence on mobile compatibility to get on search rankings.).

Edited by Rick Nightingale

Posted (edited)

That's just how they have the website now. I will say, the last couple days, the pictures are blurry AF unless you click them, but it seems they're getting better.

I dunno why they'd prioritize mobile. I imagine most people are looking at Seraphim while they're on SL... at their computer. 

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Now if we can just get those that make the adds to increase the size of the names of the bodies they rig for, rather than making them the fine print of the add or not on there at all.. That should be something really standing out in adds, I think..

hehehe

Also, with them increasing the size of the adds, many probably didn't up the resolution of the images, so we're getting smaller images that were blown up to a larger resolution size than they were created at..

Hopefully the site sends out a notice to those that are sending in adds that they need to increase the resolution of their images, because they changed the site..

That or the ones that are blurry were already uploaded and sent in before the changes were made..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, stlshayne said:

I dunno why they'd prioritize mobile

That's directly because of google. Some years back google implemented a change in its site ranking and searching whereby if a site wasn't written specifically for android mobile use it would be deliberately 'downgraded'. That's why we have so many sites now that work poorly or not at all on desktops. The continual scroll thing, designed for mobile, has been a pain on desktops for years and they know it. So much that google recently announced they are actually going to stop doing it themselves!

Note that websites can be designed dual-purpose, but a lot just do the minimum required to get the higher search placement and rankings, and design just for mobiles.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Thanks 1

I noticed maybe a week or so ago—anyway, before the images got huge—that the page was loading very much more slowly than before. At the time I guessed it was somehow related to that HUD shopping contraption they're trying to make a thing but now I'm not sure what all they're changing. (I don't think they just made the images scale huge in order to reduce the number they need to draw per page refresh because it looks to me that the pages got longer at the same time the images got bigger.)

On 7/4/2024 at 9:31 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I noticed maybe a week or so ago—anyway, before the images got huge—that the page was loading very much more slowly than before. At the time I guessed it was somehow related to that HUD shopping contraption they're trying to make a thing but now I'm not sure what all they're changing. (I don't think they just made the images scale huge in order to reduce the number they need to draw per page refresh because it looks to me that the pages got longer at the same time the images got bigger.)

I can't even get the page to load at all now using Firefox or Brave.

It worked just fine last week..

I cleared internet files and cache and just about anything I could think of  to clear..

I can get it on another browser, but I hate using that one.. But I don't think it's as secure.

I'm wondering if they changed something or if my other two browsers updated or something..

Worst case scenario is, I save even more money now.. lol

I'm just curious if anyone else is having the same issue or is it just me?

24 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can get it on another browser, but I hate using that one..

I tried to investigate that, and I don't know how to interpret what I found.

First, yeah, the big graphics are back to normal. But using Chrome with Qie's Google account, it takes a loooong time to refresh the "Recurring Events" page. So I worked up the courage to use Edge and it was nearly instantaneous. But Edge doesn't know from Qie, so I tried Chrome with some other Google accounts, and they were nearly instantaneous too. And then I looked at the details: at the top of the page, Qie got four weekend sales (99, FLF, Trinity, and 7Days) that weren't listed in any of the other browsers which instead all started with the Belleza event.

I don't recall creating a Seraphim account but apparently I must have, such that Qie's browser gets a cookie that causes the site to spin its wheels for a minute or so and then cough up some sales in advance of what other browsers get.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

First, yeah, the big graphics are back to normal. But using Chrome with Qie's Google account, it takes a loooong time to refresh the "Recurring Events" page. So I worked up the courage to use Edge and it was nearly instantaneous. But Edge doesn't know from Qie, so I tried Chrome with some other Google accounts, and they were nearly instantaneous too. And then I looked at the details: at the top of the page, Qie got four weekend sales (99, FLF, Trinity, and 7Days) that weren't listed in any of the other browsers which instead all started with the Belleza event.

I don't recall creating a Seraphim account but apparently I must have, such that Qie's browser gets a cookie that causes the site to spin its wheels for a minute or so and then cough up some sales in advance of what other browsers get.

Ya, I don't have an account there and always reject all cookies when that little popup shows up at the bottom of the screen when I go there..

I'm just going to wait it out I guess and see..

If I can't get on there anymore, then that's fine too.. I don't really buy much from those places they show anymore anyways.. That and my flickr groups show everything pretty much..

Sometimes these things fix themselves.. hehehe

ETA: I did try a private window just now and that does seem to work in Firefox.. But I have to look in what those are about to really see if I want to use those at all..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:10 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I found out what the problem was, which  I had a problem with this once before and Sid made the suggestion back  then..

It was my Dark Reader browser addon.

I should have known, but forget that I have that sometimes..

Once I turned it off, the site opened right away for me..

DOH!! \o/

hehehe

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Unfortunately, there's something else going on for me. I did try switching from dark *mode* to light, but that's not it: my alt's google accounts use dark mode, have dark mode set on that website, and still load instantaneously, whereas Qie takes some time. And, still, Qie gets different, extra results: At the moment, Qie is getting "35L Sunday Sales" and "Lazy Sunday" already when the alts start further down, with "SoKawaiiSundays"… either of which is fine, it's just so weird.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Unfortunately, there's something else going on for me. I did try switching from dark *mode* to light, but that's not it: my alt's google accounts use dark mode, have dark mode set on that website, and still load instantaneously, whereas Qie takes some time. And, still, Qie gets different, extra results: At the moment, Qie is getting "35L Sunday Sales" and "Lazy Sunday" already when the alts start further down, with "SoKawaiiSundays"… either of which is fine, it's just so weird.

You are using the internal browser in SL?

Or you mean your different accounts at the seraphim site load differently?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You are using the internal browser in SL?

Or you mean your different accounts at the seraphim site load differently?

Oh sorry, no, not the internal browser. Different Chrome browsers logged in to different Google accounts.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't even get the page to load at all now using Firefox or Brave.

It worked just fine last week..

I cleared internet files and cache and just about anything I could think of  to clear..

I'm just curious if anyone else is having the same issue or is it just me?

On 7/14/2024 at 6:31 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I found out what the problem was, which  I had a problem with this once before and Sid made the suggestion back  then..

I should have known, but forget that I have that sometimes..

Once I turned it off, the site opened right away for me..

I didn't realise there was a thread about this seraphim issue until just now, I thought it was just me. I had the same issues as you with the same solution, Dark Reader.

The Seraphim still has a dark theme when I turn off Dark Reader, but unless I figure out how to set Dark Reader OFF for only seraphimSL.com then I will stop going there as I don't think I'd have the patience. I usually have other windows/browser sessions open as well and it lights up my room when they all turn white.

Although I don't like it anywhere near as much, sugarSL.com is an alternative for weekend sales.

I didn't spend a penny in SL this past weekend. This sh1t had soured my mood as it took away much of my weekend shopping and browsing joy.

• Like 1