Maitreya to X

I am finding more and more that designers are just making clothing for the new Lara X. I personally do not like this new softer look and several friends agree. Not to say that I do not switch back and forth because I have mistakenly bought Lara X. Designers! Please can you please continue to make the Maitreya (old style) as I have heard it called as well as the Petite?  I honestly do not understand why you stopped when it's still an obvious money maker. I hope you all hear my plea. Also it's confusing Call the older style Maitreya and Maitreya Petite. The New style LaraX and LaraX Petite. That's not hard either.

Thanks to those who listen.

• Like 1

Part of the reason for LaraX being developed was that clothing creators complained that Lara was too hard to rig for. LaraX is easier for them to work with, so it makes sense that some would try to just switch completely to the new body.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There are honestly 10,000 or more clothing items available still for Lara.

(Apologies, the MP actually lists 437,091 .. four hundred thousand items for Lara in women's apparel. Assume even 10% of those are recent like I've seen at all of the major events, means you have 50,000 items to buy.)

Every major shop I visit that are switching to only rigging now for X have stores full of recent clothes less than 6 months old for Lara for every style and taste imaginable. Places like ISON, Hilly Haalan, Just Because, Thalia, fashionably dead, ValentinaE, Mimikri, S&P, Ricielli, Dead Doll, COCO, Addams, Candy Kitten, Little Diamond, all of the popular stores still stock a huge selection of clothes for Lara 5.3. I could probably list 25 of my top stores whose in world locations are still majority (older) Lara clothing on display and sale, even if they are now shifting to X.

Heck, even Maitreya's own clothing collection in her store is still majority old Lara fit only. Some like erratic, Glitzz, MUSE, Lunar, Rebel Pill etc have yet to even release anything substantial in terms of X.

The one nice thing about X rigging is more stores now seem to be supporting Petite X.

Really, I can't see how you could run out of clothing options for Lara 5.3.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5.3 isn't disappearing any time soon i still see plenty of places offering just Lara or at best including Lara X too when i'm shopping. Just today i passed up buying something nice i'd seen for L$50 Friday because it was 5.3 only and unlikely to be compatible with X. I'm rather pleased to see more and more places are including or only rigging for X as plenty of stores have decided to ditch Maitreya completely 

• Like 5

I stand by what I said. If it was too hard to design that should have been corrected a long time ago. I'm only passing along things I am hearing and things I am feeling. I have invested 1,000's in Maitreya and hate that I am being pushed to go to the newer version. I am not the only one that feels this way. I am well aware that a lot of my designers still support "old" Maitreya however I still feel those that sell only X are making a big financial mistake. I'm not here to argue. I'm here  to  express where many are silent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is actually a very simple fix. Just wear what you already have or what has already been made. There are tons (as mentioned above) of items for Lara. 

I started on my inventory purge this week and so far I have thrown out 2000 or so Lara items.  I only had ONE that I saved and I did check to see it it had been updated and it hadn't.

What I found in ALL the trying on is that there are a fair amount of things that fit both especially in Fall and Winter gear.   I really don't expect creators to keep on doing all the extra work for all that long (unless of course they LOVE to rig (insert wide mouth of awe here). 

So I decided to move into the future.  My wardrobe is a lot smaller but I still have plenty of things to wear.    

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Aqueena Skydancer said:

I stand by what I said. If it was too hard to design that should have been corrected a long time ago. I'm only passing along things I am hearing and things I am feeling. I have invested 1,000's in Maitreya and hate that I am being pushed to go to the newer version. I am not the only one that feels this way. I am well aware that a lot of my designers still support "old" Maitreya however I still feel those that sell only X are making a big financial mistake. I'm not here to argue. I'm here  to  express where many are silent.

Lara 5.3 will be around for years and years. No one is pushing you to do anything. Use 5.3, enjoy your wardrobe, and be happy. Even if every designer stopped making clothes for 5.3 today I can't believe you own all 450,00 items or your wardrobe is lacking. Do you really need more new clothes? If you've spent as much as you have you could probably dress in a outfit every day for years an never wear the same thing twice.

If I look into my old 5.3 outfits I have more than 100 casual outfits alone, and I wasn't a huge shopper. That's excluding my wardrobe of dresses, punk, formal, exercise, biz causal etc, each of which have the same number. I have nearly 200 outfits of lingerie (redheads, it's a thing). You surely can't lack clothing options.

I do disagree with the part about designers making a big financial mistake. LaraX is the future. It's far easier to rig for. Sales for the older Lara clothes will long tail and X will be the dominant model at some point which means increased sales and a better ROI on a designer's work time, but that doesn't mean that 5.3 is going away anytime soon. I've been to many events ion the past two months where very good vendors still aren't showing X stuff (erratic is one example).

Keep buying and stay on 5.3 as long as you want. It'll be a couple years before the situation becomes dire, if it ever does.

PS. What LaraX has allowed me to do (besides having a more realistic body) is to actually realize I was buying way too many outfits and never wearing them more than once. Now I have 20 causal outfits for X I am totally in love with and don't actually need any more. Finally realized that for me, quality trumps quantity.

But YMMV. But no one is pushing anything on you.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4

None of my favorite designers have even touched Lara X and I no longer shop in stores that don't include 5.3 fits. Right now, I see no compelling need to switch. Lara 5.3 only ever gives me problems when I'm using it to create masculine bodies as broadening the shoulders has always been a bit of an issue, but I've long since switched to Legacy Male for that. For my female and nonbinary avatars, 5.3 totally is fine.

Lara X furry, fantasy, and horror body mod support is still really lagging too, predictably, so unless that changes, I'm staying with the old body.

• Like 2

The thing about opinions is that they can never be wrong, only misguided, misinformed or misfocused.

I suspect there are plentiful users who've never owned a Maitreya body and are sick of the sight and sound of Maitreya in any form, just as many Maitreya/LaraX users are tired of going to stores where their body of choice is not represented at all.

My 'Grace' avatar ONLY uses LaraX, preferably PetiteX. She is stubborn in that regard and refuses to wear or buy anything 5.3, despite it being represented more than most popular brands combined. But, as @Katherine Heartsong said; the inventory is far less cluttered and way less items bought and forgotten if not going backwards. I made a decision to go forward with X, like it or lump it.

What I find more frustrating is weekend sales and adverts in general listing the body fits in such tiny indiscernible text that it's unreadable via Seraphim or Facebook etc.. Unless you're stood standing in the store zoomed in you'll never know for sure. I'm already tired of wasted hopes and journeys and beginning not to bother so much.

Having said that, this weekend just gone was the best weekend sales for my PetiteX since Grace was born. SLife is improving for X'ers 😊

It's no fun living in the past. Times move forward.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graceblakeley said:

What I find more frustrating is weekend sales and adverts in general listing the body fits in such tiny indiscernible text that it's unreadable via Seraphim or Facebook etc.. Unless you're stood standing in the store zoomed in you'll never know for sure.

Happy Weekend via the Access Facebook page and Saturday Sale via SugarSL are the only inworld weekend sales i follow that put the body rigs in the info/TP link section when you click on an image. Those that just go by creators advertising, the adverts with ridiculously tiny text on, are probably done on purpose so you have to visit the store to find out what body rigs are included. 

• Like 3

I've noticed a few stores have stopped rigging for 5.3 but they were stores that only carried a limited selection of bodies. And then there are the stores I like that haven't switched to LaraX. So I end up switching between the 2 bodies. I have shapes tweaked for both of them.

And then of course there are the stores where I really like the clothes but they don't support Maitreya so I just look at them and admire but don't buy.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2024 at 7:45 PM, Aqueena Skydancer said:

I am finding more and more that designers are just making clothing for the new Lara X. I personally do not like this new softer look and several friends agree. Not to say that I do not switch back and forth because I have mistakenly bought Lara X. Designers! Please can you please continue to make the Maitreya (old style) as I have heard it called as well as the Petite?  I honestly do not understand why you stopped when it's still an obvious money maker. I hope you all hear my plea. Also it's confusing Call the older style Maitreya and Maitreya Petite. The New style LaraX and LaraX Petite. That's not hard either.

Thanks to those who listen.

Rigging for Lara is AWFUL. It gives me PTSD flashbacks of rigging for the base Secondlife body, because it basically is the cousin of Ruth. 😒 For me, I usually include Lara, but like what I am working on now, I was spending houuurrss trying to get it right, I finally said F-it, no lara this release. If you have never rigged, please do not judge creators who choose not to include Lara. I dont blame them. I also understand that Lara has been around for a very long time so it is disheartening for your favorite designers to not include it. I promise there is a reason behind their decision though. Lara X is more like reborn and legacy, it is just better, rigging wise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

LaraX just looks better to me... X's soft curves are soo... :P Also, it's easier to get the curvy looks I love with X. The ones that are 'healthy' looking, but not massively Kupra or even Erika scale. (I also sport the Erika, so much fun playing with her included deformers and toys!!!)

• Like 3

On 7/2/2024 at 8:47 PM, MillyWH said:

And then of course there are the stores where I really like the clothes but they don't support Maitreya so I just look at them and admire but don't buy.

There are two stores (who shall remain nameless) that I always looks at the style and go "Yes!!" then have to remind myself they don't support Lara or LaraX.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Funny. I don't recall Ebody wearers getting so irate when Ebody switched from its older models to Reborn. 

None of the previous Ebodys were as ubiquitous as Maitreya nor as well supported by creators.  They probably weren't leaving behind literally thousands of Ls in clothing either.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll keep making for Lara; there's WAY more full perm models (which I work with) for Lara than for X; they're both beautiful works of art.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, Rowan Amore said:

None of the previous Ebodys were as ubiquitous as Maitreya nor as well supported by creators.  They probably weren't leaving behind literally thousands of Ls in clothing either.  

But nobody's asking anyone to dump their Lara wardrobe.  (This conversation went on ad infinitum in the Maitreya group around the X launch.)  LaraX is a new body that they gave you for free; you may prefer it none, some, or all of the time, and making the right body part of a saved Outfit means you can switch effortlessly between them.  LaraX gives creators some new options, and ways to do some things better, but nobody is pointing a finger and laughing at you for showing up in your beautiful Lara body and dress.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dana Enyo said:

But nobody's asking anyone to dump their Lara wardrobe.  (This conversation went on ad infinitum in the Maitreya group around the X launch.)  LaraX is a new body that they gave you for free; you may prefer it none, some, or all of the time, and making the right body part of a saved Outfit means you can switch effortlessly between them.  LaraX gives creators some new options, and ways to do some things better, but nobody is pointing a finger and laughing at you for showing up in your beautiful Lara body and dress.

I'm actually wearing Lara 5.3 all the time right now, where before I was wearing Belleza Freya. LaraX is lovely and I fully support Maitreya's creation of it and how they gave it free to current Lara owners. However, I'm not going to dump thousands of Maitreya Lara outfits. I found a free shoulder fix on Marketplace that lets me enjoy wearing them. ( I couldn't stand the shoulders and underarms before.)

Since Shop & Hop, I now have plenty of free LaraX bikinis, so I can show off that body when I want. When wearing regular casual clothing, Lara 5.3 with a shoulder fix is fine. When I feel like showing more curves, I'll wear Freya. (My Belleza Isis, GenX Classic Lite & Erika Lite bodies don't have enough clothing available to be worth wearing.)

I label my clothing folders to show which bodies the items fit, so it's easy to find clothes for the body I'm wearing. "LaraX" is obvious. "M B *" means it fits Lara classic & Freya. "M *" means it fit Lara classic, but not Freya.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dana Enyo said:

I didn't say they were.  She was comparing the LaraX to Ebody when Reborn came.out.  Ebody was never as wildly popular as Lara so it was no big deal when people switched (if they switched).  I never used Ebody before using Reborn.

I won't, however, be switching back to Lara.  I have begun working with LaraX though and have tossed out Lara clothing that doesn't work with X since I have no desire to go back to ugly shoulders.   That's just me, though.  Lots of people will switch back and forth.

• Like 2

You don't have to though. You can still wear the Lara 5.3 stuff,  I mean all you have to do is switch bodies and it's not that hard.  Just make a body/head combo , save it outfits and then us that to change between and wear the Lara X clothes.

The only issue I'm having is one creator I love hasn't released anything new in X and I see the pieces and want to mix them with stuff that people are only making with Lara X but I'm going to try and see if I can make them work some how. The fit won't be perfect but it will probably be close enough to make me happy

On 7/7/2024 at 7:08 PM, Rowan Amore said:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MillyWH said:

You don't have to though. You can still wear the Lara 5.3 stuff,  I mean all you have to do is switch bodies and it's not that hard.  Just make a body/head combo , save it outfits and then us that to change between and wear the Lara X clothes.

The only issue I'm having is one creator I love hasn't released anything new in X and I see the pieces and want to mix them with stuff that people are only making with Lara X but I'm going to try and see if I can make them work some how. The fit won't be perfect but it will probably be close enough to make me happy

But I disliked the shoulders/arms so much that I would never again wear a strappy top or lingerie so I just tossed all that since it doesn't fit LaraX.  I've kept some clothing that I found could be worn with X with alphas.  I didn't even bother unpacking the original Lara when they sent the new one.  The old Lara body got tossed as well.

I'm a Reborn wearer.  There are just a handful of stores I love that don't rig for it.  That's the only reason I'm even bothering with X.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

I haven't worn the 5.3 on neither Blush nor Debi since I got the X. In fact, Debi had been wearing the Legacy Perky up until the X was released because with Debi's smaller avatar shape I just couldn't get the shoulders/breasts of the 5.3 to work for her and I was having difficulty finding clothing for the Petite.

My intent is to completely purge their inventories of 5.3 content as well as the smallish collection of Legacy content Debi owns. I haven't purged their inventories yet though, because I've just been lazy. Now you may ask, but why? Can't you just use a deformer to modify the shoulders? Why yes, I could, and in fact that's what Blush had been doing for quite some time, but even with the deformers I couldn't get the shoulders to be nearly as pretty as the shoulders on the X body.

But the change in the shoulders is only a portion of why I'm so motivated to make a complete switch. It goes much further than that. I love how the arms of the X curve and are much more shapely and graceful. I prefer the curve of the upper thighs with the X in comparison to the 5.3. The slim wrists and ankles makes such a difference as well. And I'm not sure what changed, but the shape of the breasts with the regular X, not the petite, is really nice when sized down. So now Debi uses the regular LaraX with her boobs dialed back on the slider, and I'm quite happy with how she looks. Before with the 5.3 I needed to use the Petite as the 5.3 boobs had some issues when setting the slider to a small enough number to suit my image of how I wanted Debi to look. 

So I'm fairly certain once I get industrious I will be tossing all my 5.3 clothing in favor of my new collection of X clothing. Same goes for Debi's Legacy Perky clothing as well as her 5.3 clothing. It would be so much easier if I had been doing a better job of organizing my clothing folders the past three or four years. Purging now means I also have to do a lot of sorting. But oh well.. such is slife.

Sharing my viewpoint and plan of action, is in no way a judgement on those who wish to continue using their 5.3. I understand the desire to not loose a sizeable investment. But I also understand why some creators have dropped the 5.3 in favor of designing for the X. In addition to all the features I've already mentioned, there is the additional benefit for creators in that it's much easier to create and rig clothing for the X.

• Like 6