Tales of a person who was hesitant about PBR

So I finally tried PBR for the first time just now, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

I attempted to run the regular LL viewer on a laptop that is not even meant for gaming, yet I was still able to get a decent frame rate on it, even when I increased the draw distance. My laptop's fan went off as soon as I rezzed, but it was not very loud and seemed fairly normal. The same happens to me when using pre-PBR Firestorm, so nothing unusual there.

The performance dropped slightly when I went to regions that used a lot of updated PBR textures, yet I was still able to do things normally and did not crash or lag heavily. It worked quite well (and better) in regions that did not use PBR textures very heavily - that's an option for those who don't have great computers (like me.) The toll that the PBR viewer took on my laptop was similar to the effect that the pre-PBR viewer had with Advanced Lighting Mode enabled. 

Oddly enough, I got the impression that textures took less time to load in the PBR viewer than they did in the pre-PBR viewer. That was a nice surprise for me.

After reading about the issues that others had, I expected things to look off, or too shiny. But surprisingly they didn't. I used the regular Midday setting (not the legacy version of it - the new one) and liked the results. I was worried that some of the old buildings would look strange, but they didn't. Here are some pictures of them in the PBR viewer, that I took just now:

pbr_002.thumb.png.2aac17d976e60b16bc95d786f36c7fc6.png

pbr_003.thumb.png.117744cac6689ff3ed11cf2fb3aa3637.png

Nothing looks broken or too shiny. In fact, I really liked the way these turned out. The water also looks fine to me, it does not look as horrible as some pictures I have seen posted in other PBR threads. I visited several locations and checked all of the things I've built throughout the grid and did not find anything that looked off in my opinion.

I did not have to make any complicated adjustments to get that nice lighting. All I did was click on the "Midday" lighting setting. I am not a tech-savvy guy.

I dislike the fact that some people will be fully unable to access SL due to insufficient hardware, and I really feel their pain. It can be expensive to upgrade, and not everyone can afford it. But for those who have a modern but fairly cheap, non-gaming laptop like me - don't panic. Try the PBR viewer and see how it goes. It might work better than expected.

It's not the end of the world if your fan and mine are noisier than usual.

I'm surprised that I was able to run the LL PBR viewer quite well. I expected it to crash on my laptop but it did not. Textures loaded faster than they did on pre-PBR Firestorm and it was a smooth experience for me. I was also impressed by how good things look. I used to have my ALM turned off all the time... so taking a proper look at the world with PBR and ALM was very fun.

I'm not saying, by any means, that everyone's experience will be good. But give it a shot if you still haven't. You might like it. I did.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

So I finally tried PBR for the first time just now, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Did you try it in a house?

Did you try it with a mouse?

Did you try it in a box?

Did you try it with a fox?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Where be that hair from? It looks good!

Thanks. It's the "Greg" hair by Vango. Might be tricky to get a good fit depending on the head shape, but once you get it right, it works well. Took me a while. I recommend testing the demo first just in case.

MP link: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Vango-Greg-BOX/22678707

Have fun.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

I attempted to run the regular LL viewer on a laptop that is not even meant for gaming, yet I was still able to get a decent frame rate on it, even when I increased the draw distance. My laptop's fan went off as soon as I rezzed, but it was not very loud and seemed fairly normal. The same happens to me when using pre-PBR Firestorm, so nothing unusual there.

The performance dropped slightly when I went to regions that used a lot of updated PBR textures, yet I was still able to do things normally and did not crash or lag heavily. It worked quite well (and better) in regions that did not use PBR textures very heavily - that's an option for those who don't have great computers (like me.) The toll that the PBR viewer took on my laptop was similar to the effect that the pre-PBR viewer had with Advanced Lighting Mode enabled. 

Oddly enough, I got the impression that textures took less time to load in the PBR viewer than they did in the pre-PBR viewer. That was a nice surprise for me.

After reading about the issues that others had, I expected things to look off, or too shiny. But surprisingly they didn't. I used the regular Midday setting (not the legacy version of it - the new one) and liked the results. I was worried that some of the old buildings would look strange, but they didn't. Here are some pictures of them in the PBR viewer, that I took just now:

pbr_002.thumb.png.2aac17d976e60b16bc95d786f36c7fc6.png

pbr_003.thumb.png.117744cac6689ff3ed11cf2fb3aa3637.png

Nothing looks broken or too shiny. In fact, I really liked the way these turned out. The water also looks fine to me, it does not look as horrible as some pictures I have seen posted in other PBR threads. I visited several locations and checked all of the things I've built throughout the grid and did not find anything that looked off in my opinion.

I did not have to make any complicated adjustments to get that nice lighting. All I did was click on the "Midday" lighting setting. I am not a tech-savvy guy.

I dislike the fact that some people will be fully unable to access SL due to insufficient hardware, and I really feel their pain. It can be expensive to upgrade, and not everyone can afford it. But for those who have a modern but fairly cheap, non-gaming laptop like me - don't panic. Try the PBR viewer and see how it goes. It might work better than expected.

It's not the end of the world if your fan and mine are noisier than usual.

I'm surprised that I was able to run the LL PBR viewer quite well. I expected it to crash on my laptop but it did not. Textures loaded faster than they did on pre-PBR Firestorm and it was a smooth experience for me. I was also impressed by how good things look. I used to have my ALM turned off all the time... so taking a proper look at the world with PBR and ALM was very fun.

I'm not saying, by any means, that everyone's experience will be good. But give it a shot if you still haven't. You might like it. I did.

What laptop is it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

What laptop is it?

It's an Inspiron 15 laptop from Dell.

Not a gaming laptop but it does manage to run SL. The fan gets activated when I'm using the viewer, but it doesn't get too loud and I haven't crashed at all. I stick to the low and middle levels in the graphics settings and haven't had any issues with it so far. I'd say it's good enough. Definitely much better than the outdated laptop I had before. That one could not handle ALM, much less PBR.

Edited by Clem Marques

10 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

It's an Inspiron 15 laptop from Dell.

Not a gaming laptop but it does manage to run SL. The fan gets activated when I'm using the viewer, but it doesn't get too loud and I haven't crashed at all. I stick to the low and middle levels in the graphics settings and haven't had any issues with it so far. I'd say it's good enough. Definitely much better than the outdated laptop I had before. That one could not handle ALM, much less PBR.

I mean't more like specs hehe, Help > About Firestorm would be useful :) I guess it probably has an Iris Xe iGPU if it's a more recent Inspiron 15 model though?

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1