Need help learning a new thing please!

I have a question..I mean obviously, I'm making a whole thread about it.

I see places selling these materials for mesh bodies, they can be applied, react to the light when the camera moves. All sorts of fun things, little butterflies on your skin, or marble sheen, or rainbow shines. I would LOVE so much to learn how to make these. Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial, perhaps? I ..just can't find what I'm looking for!

4 hours ago, TrashPanda Starling said:

I have a question..I mean obviously, I'm making a whole thread about it.

I see places selling these materials for mesh bodies, they can be applied, react to the light when the camera moves. All sorts of fun things, little butterflies on your skin, or marble sheen, or rainbow shines. I would LOVE so much to learn how to make these. Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial, perhaps? I ..just can't find what I'm looking for!

Though I haven't done it personally, and until someone else answers or can confirm or deny,  I believe this is called 'BOM (Bake on Mesh)', 'appliers', 'decals' and 'tatoos' that all probably use the same workflow.

Here's a YouTube search for some relevant tutorials.

The shine, reflectivity and sheen will come from the materials used - these tutorials most likely are not using the new PBR textures, so you may have to find those, depending on what is happening with textures in general, but that's a start to where to look

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2024 at 2:50 AM, Codex Alpha said:

Though I haven't done it personally, and until someone else answers or can confirm or deny,  I believe this is called 'BOM (Bake on Mesh)', 'appliers', 'decals' and 'tatoos' that all probably use the same workflow.

Yes, it's plainly obvious you haven't done this your self. Any of it. They don't use the same workflow at all, and reacting to light means they are cerrtainly not 100 % BoM tattoos, and "decals" is a term from radically different platforms, and has no valid use in this context.

Moving on.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, TrashPanda Starling said:

I see places selling these materials for mesh bodies, they can be applied, react to the light when the camera moves.

These will all, be based on the ALM-Materials that predate last December's PBR launch., sometimes referred to as Blinn-Phong now, post PBR.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, TrashPanda Starling said:

I would LOVE so much to learn how to make these. Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial, perhaps?

You'll need UV templates, SLUV ones for most popular mesh bodies, or their bespoke variations. And EvoX ones from Lelutka.. You'll also need "materials applier kits", for the said bodies, Maitreya's are given out, FREE, from small vendors NEXT to the main body vendor in their in-world store for example.

You'll also have to read up on the ALM materials, and how they work, with an optional diffuse map (which gets applied as a BoM tattoo), an optional Normal Map for inclusion in the materials applier, and a Specular Colour map, again for use in the applier. That last one is what does the "rainbow shines" you mentioned.

You should be able to find details of the materials settings normal maps, specular colour maps, and the numeric settings Gloss and Environment on the official LL wiki. There are likely to be pages with info on the web pages for the mesh bodies who's materials applier kits you'll be using too.

Workflow.

Using your prefeed 2D image butchey app, you paint the Diffuse part over a skin UV template, export the texture at 1024 resolution as a png, upload to SL, 

Normal maps are "bumpy" details, you need an app that can generate those. Again upload at 1024 as a png, upload to SL.

Specular colour map, paint away with your rainbow brush, export as 1024 png, upload.

Pick a folder in your inv, right click, create a new system tattoo layer, add the diffuse texture to the relevant box, head/upper torso/lower torso. Save.

the uuid's of the normal and specular maps (right click to get those) get cut and pasted into the appropriate parts of the materials applier kit (usually either a line in a notecard or a line in a script), follow the easy instructions that come with the kit.

Add the BoM tattoo, attach and click the applier, see if you did it right.

Caveat. Lelutka heads, they use appliers for HD lipstick, bows, and eyeshadow.

Not sure if they have an applier kit for adding materials to the whole face/scalp skin or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Workflow.

Using your prefeed 2D image butchey app, you paint the Diffuse part over a skin UV template, export the texture at 1024 resolution as a png, upload to SL, 

Normal maps are "bumpy" details, you need an app that can generate those. Again upload at 1024 as a png, upload to SL.

Specular colour map, paint away with your rainbow brush, export as 1024 png, upload.

Just to add to this, if you want to create things that have a varying strength of effect or only appear on certain areas you can control how strong the effects of the specular map are by including a specular exponent map (controls "glossiness") as an alpha channel in your normal map and an environment intensity map (controls "reflectiveness") as an alpha channel in your colour specular map.

You can find more info on the maps used for the materials system (not to be confused with the new PBR system) here, but their explanation of the two maps I just mentioned are as follows:

Specular Exponent Map

The alpha channel of the Normal Map may contain a specular exponent value that is mutilplied by the "Glossiness" parameter. A higher alpha value will result in specular highlights that are brighter and tighter.

Environment Intensity Map

The Alpha channel value of the Specular Map encodes the environment intensity. A lower value in the alpha channel will diminish the impact of the environment map reflections on the surface of the object.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 1