Pride Month In SL -- A Bad Experience

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Some do understand and are even allies.  And only through discussion and having Pride celebrations can we hope others might get it too.  This is how society changes...even our little SL society.

I mean it really doesn't help that people and I am not saying all. But some people in the community, are very openly sexual. If they want to do their kinks and fetishes, that is fine and I am all for people exploring that side of themselves. But some people have made it a very public affair, which can give people the wrong idea. 

Why are you bringing up exhibitionists, extremists, or radicals who might be giving "the wrong Idea" -- isn't it really a heterosexual observing the radical ones and believing ALL gay people are radicals that is causing the problem?

Anyway,   I'm just talking about someone like John & Joe who go to work, come home and sit on the sofa watching TV, and eat pizza -- these are typical gay people. Yet way too many see the word 'gay' and think all gay people are humping like dogs in bath houses constantly, or worse, where I live (podunk USA) think gays are child molesters.

• Like 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

How often is it thrown in your face?  I mean, earlier today I went out for a walk and gay jumped right out of the bushes, and clung to my face... how rude!  I tried desperately to free myself from it, but it was forcing me, suffocating me with it's wokeness, finally it leapt from me on to some other innocent bystander that was just minding their own business.    

I'm tired of being persecuted!  🤣

Realistically, it is not thrown in our faces.  People tend to pursue the subject then get upset, that is the Internet for you though.  I typically do not see LGBT stuff very often, but that is probably because I spend most of my time searching around the web for hobbies.  In real life, I might see a flag here and there, but nothing that leaves the impression that it is being thrown in my face.

I would actually agree with you on that one, but then again it seems like the internet has done it with both sides. I don't actively go looking for LGBTQ stuff or even straight or religious stuff. I mean when it pops up on my wall on FB, I just scroll by all of it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

So Luna. Keep doing what you think feels right and don't let one single person "floor" you. Me, i personally don't care what people think of me, or the things i have to say, and you know what? I like it that way. If what i'm doing or saying is hilariously bad or just plain wrong, i will know. People would go against me very hard and then it is time for me to reflect and think to myself, what am i doing? Is what i am doing a good thing or not. I think an awful not more people need to stop and think a little bit more. I think then we will get somewhere.

Don't the red part and the blue part contradict each other?

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Given the quotes, I thought Starberry was referring to specific poster on these forums.

It's ironic how people from one marginalized group may sometimes denigrate those from another marginalized group.

I just get tired of the accusations that there are all these people in the forums and second life in general who are hating on certain groups.  I do not see it.  I've never seen it.  I certainly don't see it in the forums aside from a very small handful of posters.  People in the forums are certainly not telling anyone how they should.look nor hating on any specific look.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

See this is why I have separated myself with the modern trans community, I mean prior to 2010. It was pretty quiet and people accepted it. But then again, I am one of those transpeople who want to be left alone and just live my life. Without all this negative press on both sides making me look bad. 

I knew a lot of Trans folks at my LGBT church over the years. Many would stop "outing" themselves as Trans a few years after transitioning.  So, that's completely normal in my experience seeing it so many times.

It's when they leave, move away, and we never hear from them again that I get sad about it.  At the same time while assuming and hoping they are happier.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why are you bringing up exhibitionists, extremists, or radicals who might be giving "the wrong Idea" -- isn't it really a heterosexual observing the radical ones and believing ALL gay people are radicals that is causing the problem?

Actually it's really a problem on both sides. Where you see a few people on social media, acting like that. But then again, I just roll my eyes and scroll on by. But then you have someone on the right, who magnifies it and makes it worse than it is and it puts a huge target on our heads. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Congrats for turning a thread about Pride, during Pride Month, into an opportunity to drop transphobic slurs.

WTF do trans identities even have to do with the OP?

Who is dropping transphobic slurs? 

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Because at a Pride event we are affirming those in society who have been disadvantaged by the larger society.  Maybe if our society actually believed in equality, and believed certain groups are not bad then the gay man not far from where I live would not have been bludgeoned to death!

news source please, or it didn’t happen

13 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Today it really feels like anything has to be forcefully accepted. Forced acceptance never works. There have been numerous studies done on that. I really think it is important for this minority to try and see that how they want things (My way, or the highway... Sorry, but it is.) doesn't work. It has the opposite effect. How this is not basic knowledge these days, is beyond me if i'm honest.

Those who want to maintain the status quo feel that others having equality is something "thrown in their face". Their resistance is what's creating the fighting, not those who have been oppressed and are fighting for their rights as equal citizens. I'm not saying some don't go overboard, but by and large they are NOT the problem -- it's those who won't accept that society is not as they'd like it to be who are the problem.

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Because at a Pride event we are affirming those in society who have been disadvantaged by the larger society.  Maybe if our society actually believed in equality, and believed certain groups are not bad then the gay man not far from where I live would not have been bludgeoned to death!

news source please, or it didn’t happen

Dear God, there are so many murders of gay and trans people....do you live under a rock?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45968606

I haven't experienced such prejudice against Asian people by those in the LGTBQ+ community. I'm sure there are a few -- nobody said they're angels.

For you to paint a community with such a wide brush is not right. I advise staying off X/Twitter.

LOL all alphabet prople are noble and pure….NOT.  I’m sure there are as many haters in that group as in the general population

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually it's really a problem on both sides. Where you see a few people on social media, acting like that. But then again, I just roll my eyes and scroll on by. But then you have someone on the right, who magnifies it and makes it worse than it is and it puts a huge target on our heads.

Didn't you just mention the problem with the terminally online on X/Twitter?  Maybe you need to take your own advice and look into RL a bit, or even SL where name-calling is frequent toward marginalized people.

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

There is a lot to unpack here, but the biggest mistake you are making is conflating tolerance and acceptance. You don't have to accept anyone's way of life, as their life is not predicated on your acceptance. Tolerance is something different. Someone not liking gay people or the word gay isn't the issue. It is when people use that dislike to actively try to marginalize a group because of it. That level of intolerance crosses into the live and let live territory you are speaking of.

Something we keep seeing right now in 2024 in America is during Pride events, pride flags are being burnt and micro-*****ed assholes in big trucks are peeling out on pride crosswalks and things to deface them, then posting it proudly on social media, to be cheered on by the anti-LGBT masses. It is a scary thing out there for gay people who still do get beaten up and killed in America and around the world soley for being gay.

Acceptance is nice to have but not needed. Basic respect and not having your existence demeaned and legislated away is what is needed. It is scary time - the world is moving backward, not forward. The path of progress is not a straight line, but this part of the pendulum swing is unnerving.

Hi Christiano. I see what you're saying about the tolerance versus acceptance. I can see your point but i'm afraid it still boils down to "how much do you care". Maybe it's easier for me to shrug things off then others. Maybe my mom told me one to many times to grow a thicker skin, and i actually did.

I've seen the viral video of a pickup truck doing a burnout on a crosswalk that was painted in the rainbow colors. Obviously this is not ok and i would never defend such primitive ape-like behavior. But it is an opportunity to look for causality. The first and most obvious would be that this minority is "out of the norm" and as we all know, if you're different, you're naturally subject to being bullied and made fun of. Typical human behavior. Not to be defended, to be clear, but it is what it is.

But my point still stands. It is the forced acceptance that is making people dislike pride. Look at twitter (still calling it that). Look at all the logos of major companies, and so on and so forth. It's a whole month of "in your face" and "accept me as i am". It feels forced and that is where a lot of people have issues. Again, i'm not defending this, but it is how people are. So what i'm suggesting here (tall order, i'm aware) is to maybe approach people in another way to all this instead of how things are being done now?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Don't the red part and the blue part contradict each other?

No, they don't. The red part means, "one singe person". Meaning if one person says this, don't care. The blue part indicates more people would go against what i say, so that would indicate i'm in the wrong"

sorry if that wasn't clear. ;)

Edited by CaithLynnSayes

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LOL all alphabet prople are noble and pure….NOT.  I’m sure there are as many haters in that group as in the general population

All hate is not equal. All oppression is not equal. You can hate someone because they don't fight fair, or they're inconsiderate...that's not the same as hating someone because they're Jewish or gay.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.