NSFW on profile

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is one of those policies where it says profiles must be general, but then fails to actually fully specify what that means.

For example, if a group can be created and mentions something (lets use the word sexy) in it, and this is allowed, and there is no way to filter certain types of groups then how can one be told that group is very naughty because it's too sexy. A case of lack of tools for residents.

Furthermore, the fact that the policy is that you as a user must moderate your own profile to the extent the policy implies is another case of lack of tools for residents. If I go to a sexy sim and put that place in my picks, then it shouldn't show for residents who have their filters set to not show Adult rated content, it's that simple. 

This is a case of lack of utility within SL and therefore an almost ludicrous policy exists to fix the lack of tools and utility to residents.

In short; if my profiles content, as in the content I physically upload and write in my own words is General, then this should be enough. The content of wording in Picks if unedited from the land, the photo from the land and the group names and descriptions should have no impact on me because they have been defined as within policy otherwise. It's just a lack of utility and frankly is no ones problem that we don't have the correct tools built into SL to allow for correct ratings, we all know the ratings in SL make almost no sense.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Reuben Blakewell said:

This is one of those policies where it says profiles must be general, but then fails to actually fully specify what that means.

For example, if a group can be created and mentions something (lets use the word sexy) in it, and this is allowed, and there is no way to filter certain types of groups then how can one be told that group is very naughty because it's too sexy. A case of lack of tools for residents.

Furthermore, the fact that the policy is that you as a user must moderate your own profile to the extent the policy implies is another case of lack of tools for residents. If I go to a sexy sim and put that place in my picks, then it shouldn't show for residents who have their filters set to not show Adult rated content, it's that simple. 

This is a case of lack of utility within SL and therefore an almost ludicrous policy exists to fix the lack of tools and utility to residents.

In short; if my profiles content, as in the content I physically upload and write in my own words is General, then this should be enough. The content of wording in Picks if unedited from the land, the photo from the land and the group names and descriptions should have no impact on me because they have been defined as within policy otherwise. It's just a lack of utility and frankly is no ones problem that we don't have the correct tools built into SL to allow for correct ratings, we all know the ratings in SL make almost no sense.

Thats precisely why I don't even put anything adult related in my pics. Its too risky. Some person may check my profile out, looking good at first and then they make their way to my pics and they see a ounce of anything adult related and flip their lid.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

It is against TOS to have content in your profile which is not fit for a G sim.

However, this is probably the most flauted rule in all of SL and even if it was reported I doubt anything would ever be done.

You would be surprised. The only reason I made this post is because someone was salty enough to report the lewd pfp of a friend of mine and get her banned for a day - and she only ever visits adult rated sims. 

Which I was asking if picks are subject to this too. And too many people here have said there are so I'm just gonna err on the side of caution on this I suppose.

On that note however- Would you say something like a microkini is no longer general rating viable even though it covers all the important parts? I feel like that would be something you encounter even at a regular beach out in the real world, though so I don't personally see an issue with it. But prudes these days be something else.

i have adult clubs in my picks, in my profile,  adult pics from SL in my feed.  been here awhile , too.. however  I am usually in moderate or adult areas.  I am rarely if ever some place thats G rated. 

10 hours ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Thats precisely why I don't even put anything adult related in my pics. Its too risky. Some person may check my profile out, looking good at first and then they make their way to my pics and they see a ounce of anything adult related and flip their lid.

flip their lid? who cares. AR you? Thats a problem.

54 minutes ago, usedcars said:

i have adult clubs in my picks, in my profile,  adult pics from SL in my feed.  been here awhile , too.. however  I am usually in moderate or adult areas.  I am rarely if ever some place thats G rated. 

going to G with an adult profile is an AR waiting to happen.

Just another reason to NEVER visit a G sim,

*waiting to be ARed for being nude on her moderate parcel that butts up against a G sim*

20 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

It is against TOS to have content in your profile which is not fit for a G sim.

However, this is probably the most flauted rule in all of SL and even if it was reported I doubt anything would ever be done. It's pretty easy to judge what sort of profile someone is going to have within the first few seconds of opening it. I just close it if there is anything adult. 

So yeah, profiles don't really bother me. If what you're doing isn't going to threaten my existence in SL then we're cool, if, hoever, it is, then we will very suddenly not be cool at all. 

One thing I would advise though - be careful about places that ask to show your profile picture if your profile picture is particularly adult and the place that is asking is on G sim. 

If a profile is ARed for adult content, there WILL be reprecussions, that is why my profile is totally G now.

😬

18 hours ago, Reuben Blakewell said:

Why isn’t there an an adult rating for groups? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

flip their lid? who cares. AR you? Thats a problem.

Well this will depend on the individual, and while “flipping their lid” is indeed less serious than being ARed, it still can have a negative impact on your SL. One of the things I enjoy in SL is conversations with charming, smart and witty women. If however I IM her and get her attention and she looks at my profile and sees adult stuff she is going to assume I just want sex and not conversation. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Well this will depend on the individual, and while “flipping their lid” is indeed less serious than being ARed, it still can have a negative impact on your SL. One of the things I enjoy in SL is conversations with charming, smart and witty women. If however I IM her and get her attention and she looks at my profile and sees adult stuff she is going to assume I just want sex and not conversation. 

With me its my political picks…. you evil anti-vaxing , global warming denying, bad orange man supporter….why don’t you just eff off and die.

Yea well I don’t wanna speak to someone thats obviously brain dead either, so its all good.

😂

p.s im me if you like, regardless of your picks, you ain’t getting any if I’m not in the mood

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a word, took out duplicate word
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

With me its my political picks

Oh my politics will piss off, 99.99% of people. I plan on boycotting the presidential election because it is a scam, no one qualified to actually be president can even get on the ballot, and they shot the last qualified man to hold that office, but yeah, I will IM you, it will be fun. I generally only get on between Tuesday to Friday so it will be a couple days.

• Like 1

This is the road I took  with the links they provided from their little piece on profiles and their rating.

You pretty much after that, have to have an idea of what to look for in those sections they have linked..Which really is kind of obvious to anyone that's been here for awhile.. Many of us kind of know right away where to zoom to in those sections..

But a lot of people may not  as well.. So here is the road I took.

This is what I get when I use the search term, User Profile Policy In Second Life..

This link pops up first in my search on the search engines I tried, Duck duck go and Google.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/profiles-r395/

Then that leads me to a list where this part in the list that pops up that pertains to the content rating of profiles.

Keep it suitable for everyone

Important: Content in profiles must be General, and must obey the Terms of Service and Community Standards.

From there I used the links they provided, which I went to general and applied everything written in that section to profiles.

Then when to community standards and looked for the section or sections that would apply to profiles.

Inappropriate Content

All content, activity, and communication within the Service must adhere to the Content Guidelines, including but not limited to, abiding by any limitations on the type of content permissible in certain areas of the Service.

In Second Life, Adult Content is only permitted on Private Regions designated as ‘Adult’ and on the Mainland continent, ‘Zindra’. Private Regions designated as ‘Adult’ will be filtered from non-verified Second Life accounts.

then went to the terms of service and found this section.

I'm not gonna post the whole section, but just the part that jumped out at me.

5. CONDUCT BY USERS OF SECOND LIFE

In addition to the rules of conduct set forth in the Terms of Service, you agree that you will not:

(iv) Post, display or transmit any Content that is explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity ratings, except as set forth in those ratings.

(vi) Violate our Maturity Content Guidelines. A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity;

This isn't me trying to say one way or another how someone should keep their profile..

It's more  if someone down the road looks up this information and this thread pops up.. Maybe they'll run across this and it make it easier on them..

Anyways, this is how I went about finding what all I found..

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moles
Posted (edited)

I hope this discussion won't find itself sidetracked into off-topic issues, since

Anything unrelated to Second Life is subject to moderation. This includes, but is not limited to, politics

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

I hope this discussion won't find itself sidetracked into off-topic issues, since

If you are on the forums at 5 am slt on a Saturday morning, I’m guessing the forum ARs are already coming in 😬

• Moles
43 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If you are on the forums at 5 am slt on a Saturday morning, I’m guessing the forum ARs are already coming in 😬

The Moles never sleep!   (I'm in the UK, so 8 hours ahead of SLT).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Quartz Mole said:

The Moles never sleep!   (I'm in the UK, so 8 hours ahead of SLT).

I was hoping you could chime in on the topic? People focused at one point on "Picks" but apparently even those must be for "General" things if a Profile must be General..?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was hoping you could chime in on the topic? People focused at one point on "Picks" but apparently even those must be for "General" things if a Profile must be General..?

What would be the purpose of profile picks if we couldn't use them to advertise sims and stores that we like? I have a Pick for the Naked sim, on which I've added that it's a good place to go if you can't get your avatar dressed. I've got one nude picture of my avatar in my Picks too, but all the naughty parts are covered, so that should make it ok for a Moderate rating, right?

Do all the pictures and words in our Picks need to be G rated? If so how can we have a Pick for an Adult sim or group?

Maybe we could have a way to check a Pick page as General, Moderate or Adult? Then it could show as grayed out to those who don't have their own rating set high enough to see it?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.