SL should have object decay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

There's a lot of grandfathered land from founder accounts and the like that haven't been touched in years that nobody is paying for.

Also, there are people that willing to pay for things they never use, for whatever reason. Those parcels are no less abandoned. A quick look at last login dates confirms it pretty easily.

Except those accounts and land associated with them were paid for. They paid a hefty sum for a platform that might disappear (at the time it was little known and little trafficked). For that hefty cost upfront, they got their free 4096 tier and a better stipend. That land has been paid for in perpetuity.

There's also the fact that 'modern' builder can also put crap mesh builds. I have new neighbors on 2 sides. one just beyond the protected strip of land up against a neighboring sim. They lowered the land they own by about 2-3m, so there's a big divot (after derendering their entire awful build. The ones on the other side did the same, except they raised their land (They're upslope from me). When that wasnt 'high enough' they added a grass colored prim right to the edge of my property directly overlooking my house. (with a balcony) to the tune of about 10m. I suck it up and derender.. with a huge privacy wall that interferes with their view. (oh how i'd love a script that de-rezzes my wall and then puts up a new on every hour or so)

Your idea is a poor one. Unless you want your builds to come under the chopping block too? Who cares if you paid for it? Right?

• Like 4

Brah. XD. Get out of here. This ain't ark.  Ptsd memories of having to log in and place pillars around my mainland base in order to prolong the decay timer and prevent people from building full bright, 2d landscape wall atrocities next door.

On the other hand . Please do let those ancient ugly buildings from 2003 decay and allow second lyfe nature to consume their sins.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I thought of the When someone dies thread when considering this. It could be nice to have their things still rezzed out as a reminder and mark of respect. 

I've already seen some ancient sims turn into graveyards . They literally put a tombstone of everyone who died that they knew and now the owner is dead and nobody goes there. Real life cemeteries are a waste of space and virtual ones especially are a waste of space . Let them die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Midnoot said:

I've already seen some ancient sims turn into graveyards . They literally put a tombstone of everyone who died that they knew and now the owner is dead and nobody goes there. Real life cemeteries are a waste of space and virtual ones especially are a waste of space . Let them die.

I forgot to add that the sim has been grandfathered so it is FOREVER an ugly stain on second life, regardless of the fact that nobody is paying for it now 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

There's also the fact that 'modern' builder can also put crap mesh builds.

One of the things about threads like this. over-entitled BS demands that OTHER paying customers should be thrown under the bus because the "Poster's dollar is worth more than other peoples dollars, obviously", is that this isn't the first such biased suggestion.

There was a thread, what, last year?

The OP in that thread was one of the more infamous Privacy Hating Vehicle Vagrants around here.

<lie mode> I can't remember their name </lie mode>, so let's just call them EthanolWhine, and their proposal was in some ways even worse than this one.

EthanolWhine wrote:

"I suggest that Mainland be cleared of useless ugly mess, but we mustn't lose our Historic Builds, therefore I propose that PrimCrap builds by people who joined SL BEFORE 2008, be preserved in perpetuity, but MESH builds by POST 2008 filthy noobs should be bulldozed by LL to make Public Off Road Motor Sports Parks, or sold to more *cough* Community Minded *cough* users like ME ME ME!

The definition of an abandoned parcel that deserves bulldozing should be any parcel with mesh owned by a post-2008 noob who doesn't log in as often as *I* think they should, or use their land the way *I* think they should."

And of course, as always when people use phrases like "Community Minded", or "in the interests of The Community", or "I speak for The Community", this so-called "Community" :

1. Doesn't actually exist.

2. Is NOT represented by the self appointed spokes-bigot.

3. Is defined in such a way as to automatically EXCLUDE everyone in the area the spokes-bigot proposes should be "Community-ised"

EthanolWhine seemed quite confused when I suggested their "suggested improvement" to Mainland was garbage and that they were a goose-stepping fossil who should be ignored as a Public Enemy of SL.

It's always the same story, "For the GOOD of SL. and in the best interests of The Community, I propose that [ insert something the poster hates ] should be removed!"

Maybe *I* should start a thread demanding that all the STFU Hubs and Unused Airport-spam, and all the other Vehicle Vagrant Induced Planning Blight be removed.

Of course, I won't, I'm not that hypocritical. I just avoid or if needed, de-render their ugly sh*te.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

One of the things about threads like this. over-entitled BS demands that OTHER paying customers should be thrown under the bus because the "Poster's dollar is worth more than other peoples dollars, obviously", is that this isn't the first such biased suggestion.

There was a thread, what, last year?

The OP in that thread was one of the more infamous Privacy Hating Vehicle Vagrants around here.

<lie mode> I can't remember their name </lie mode>, so let's just call them EthanolWhine, and their proposal was in some ways even worse than this one.

EthanolWhine wrote:

"I suggest that Mainland be cleared of useless ugly mess, but we mustn't lose our Historic Builds, therefore I propose that PrimCrap builds by people who joined SL BEFORE 2008, be preserved in perpetuity, but MESH builds by POST 2008 filthy noobs should be bulldozed by LL to make Public Off Road Motor Sports Parks, or sold to more *cough* Community Minded *cough* users like ME ME ME!

The definition of an abandoned parcel that deserves bulldozing should be any parcel with mesh owned by a post-2008 noob who doesn't log in as often as *I* think they should, or use their land the way *I* think they should."

And of course, as always when people use phrases like "Community Minded", or "in the interests of The Community", or "I speak for The Community", this so-called "Community" :

1. Doesn't actually exist.

2. Is NOT represented by the self appointed spokes-bigot.

3. Is defined in such a way as to automatically EXCLUDE everyone in the area the spokes-bigot proposes should be "Community-ised"

EthanolWhine seemed quite confused when I suggested their "suggested improvement" to Mainland was garbage and that they were a goose-stepping fossil who should be ignored as a Public Enemy of SL.

It's always the same story, "For the GOOD of SL. and in the best interests of The Community, I propose that [ insert something the poster hates ] should be removed!"

Maybe *I* should start a thread demanding that all the STFU Hubs and Unused Airport-spam, and all the other Vehicle Vagrant Induced Planning Blight be removed.

Of course, I won't, I'm not that hypocritical. I just avoid or if needed, de-render their ugly sh*te.

There's been a lot of things like that in SL with varying degrees of ineptitude.

JLU and SLPD readily come to mind. RedZone for another. Woodbury and co, Emerald etc..

Extreme ends of fascism and/or anarchy. People so absolutely sure the grid couldn't survive without them. Guess what?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Real life cemeteries are a waste of space and virtual ones especially are a waste of space . Let them die.

The primary purpose of real life cemeteries is to provide a safe place to bury the dead so that the living aren't afflicted with things like disease. I'd hardly call that a waste of space. 

The fact that throughout all of history all cultures have adopted their own ways to show their respect to the dead demonstrates it's an important part of the human life cycle. 

You might think there a waste of space, real or virtual, but many people would disagree. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

The primary purpose of real life cemeteries is to provide a safe place to bury the dead so that the living aren't afflicted with things like disease. I'd hardly call that a waste of space. 

The fact that throughout all of history all cultures have adopted their own ways to show their respect to the dead demonstrates it's an important part of the human life cycle. 

You might think there a waste of space, real or virtual, but many people would disagree. 

Cremate . Delete. Makes no difference . Cemeteries  are as obsolete as abandoned atrocities of mainland .

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

For how long? 

That is the question. At what point are we sure nobody is coming back to finish that floating plywood skyscraper that's been there for 15 years?

• Like 1

One way to make mainland more appealing to live in would be for LL to beautify abandoned lots. It could be as simple as placing trees/flora that match the biome the abandoned parcel is in.

This way, even if a parcel is surrounded by abandoned land, you don't feel like you're living in a nuclear wasteland where the only thing to see for miles is blurry low res terrain.

It would have the added side effect of helping the mainland have more of an identity as many residents like to copy their surroundings, thereby reducing the sense of chaos.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

It would have the added side effect of helping the mainland have more of an identity as many residents like to copy their surroundings, thereby reducing the sense of chaos.

I'm reminded of a Vehicle Vagrant thread some while back, where the VV in question basically boasted that they had built a "railway station" on a section of broken, unusable rail track.

The VV also boasted that they had built it in a "Japanese/Korean" style to "match the theme of the other builds on the region".

Problem is, there was only ONE ground level build on that region at the time.

A stepped pyramid that certainly wasn't Japanese/Korean in theme.

I've not noticed any overwhelming trend by people to copy their surroundings when building on Mainland, EVER.

6 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

One way to make mainland more appealing to live in would be for LL to beautify abandoned lots. It could be as simple as placing trees/flora that match the biome the abandoned parcel is in.

It seems to that adding plants would require special permissions.

If so, then while we're at it:

We could also allow established artists to add "temporary art" to abandoned properties.  

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We could also allow established artists to add "temporary art" to abandoned properties.  

The Linden Endowment for Tax Deductable 'we support the arts' Virtue Signalling already wastes more than enough land on no-talent self proclaimed SL Artistes, without giving them permission to litter un-owned Mainland as well.

People don't want to see that failed Art enough to visit an LEA sim, so there's little chance they want it on the parcel NEXT DOOR to their homes.

• Like 2

Four hundred years from now, archaeologists will recover forgotten remnants of the Amazon cloud.

Every artifact will prove inoperable, but for a single storage device. These future researchers will gaze back into our world and meticulously recreate an entire SL region.

They will marvel at what could be achieved with low resolution textures and primitive building blocks. For this reason alone we must preserve the grid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

Four hundred years from now, archaeologists will recover forgotten remnants of the Amazon cloud.

Every artifact will prove inoperable, but for a single storage device. These future researchers will gaze back into our world and meticulously recreate an entire SL region.

They will marvel at what could be achieved with low resolution textures and primitive building blocks. For this reason alone we must preserve the grid.

I wonder if they'll also have a version of ancient aliens, describing how it was impossible with our technology to erect prim buildings. 

image.gif.c9f788f5f0482feccc4a3afaad9cb86b.gif

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I wonder if they'll also have a version of ancient aliens, describing how it was impossible with our technology to erect prim buildings. 

image.gif.c9f788f5f0482feccc4a3afaad9cb86b.gif

We used primitive "bots", of course, to erect our buildings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We used primitive "bots", of course, to erect our buildings.

Alien bots! 

👽🤖

"While mostly used for virtual sex, ancient virtual bots were also used by ancient virtual humans to create buildings using 'primitives'; since 'mesh' buildings must be constructed outside of the virtual world, the ancient virtual bots were not able to help with those buildings."

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

That land has been paid for in perpetuity.

IMHO... if someone is paying tier, ixnay on delete objectay, regardless of the last login time.

If someone is NOT paying tier, delete away. For grandfathered lifetime parcels that are tier-free, they should be converted back to tier-paying. Those deals should be considered annulled, as they were not proper to begin with (not saying illegal cause not a lawyer). I consider it almost predatory for any company to offer "lifetime" deals when they incur expenses in perpetuity to maintain the service.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

I consider it almost predatory for any company to offer "lifetime" deals when they incur expenses in perpetuity to maintain the service.

Except that a huge outlay of cash for a lifetime membership when a company is just starting out and finds itself strapped for cash and customers, that cash and investment (in time as well as money) in the platform is far more significant than the $10 a month for premium now.

Without those founders, there might not be an SL for you to enjoy today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Except that a huge outlay of cash for a lifetime membership when a company is just starting out and finds itself strapped for cash and customers, that cash and investment (in time as well as money) in the platform is far more significant than the $10 a month for premium now.

Without those founders, there might not be an SL for you to enjoy today.

Depends whether it was the cash inflow that was primary reason or the continued logging in of those who invested. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.