In-world discussion & debate spots

I often find myself craving more intellectual content in SL. It's easy enough to find places and events, but nearly everything in an average scroll through events is clubs, DJs, live music, shopping, or sex. I'd love to connect with groups and regions that host deeper discussions, whether they're educational or on a particular theme, or do field trips or other social content that isn't just dancing or f'ing. What are your recommendations?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2024 at 5:45 AM, Arwyn Quandry said:

I often find myself craving more intellectual content in SL. It's easy enough to find places and events, but nearly everything in an average scroll through events is clubs, DJs, live music, shopping, or sex. I'd love to connect with groups and regions that host deeper discussions, whether they're educational or on a particular theme, or do field trips or other social content that isn't just dancing or f'ing. What are your recommendations?

I'm interested as well, let me know if you come across anything good

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 4:45 AM, Arwyn Quandry said:

I don't know anywhere in world unfortunately but sometimes these things just need like minded people to come together. 

If you don't mind speaking to a 6 year old child avatar then I'm always up for a good discussion. I have a background in education and reviewing policy documentation work wise before moving into the retail sector as part of management. I'm active in UK politics and studied History and Sociology at university and generally try to keep up with emerging issues such as AI etc. 

I'm not particularly fussy about the issue being discussed though and love a good Devil's advocate. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

I don't know anywhere in world unfortunately but sometimes these things just need like minded people to come together. 

If you don't mind speaking to a 6 year old child avatar then I'm always up for a good discussion. I have a background in education and reviewing policy documentation work wise before moving into the retail sector as part of management. I'm active in UK politics and studied History and Sociology at university and generally try to keep up with emerging issues such as AI etc. 

I'm not particularly fussy about the issue being discussed though and love a good Devil's advocate. 

I would hope you would debate as an adult and not as a six year old child.

LOL @ like minded people. So do people want a debate or an echo chamber?

Today's debate topic :Is orange man bad, or is he really really bad?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I would hope you would debate as an adult and not as a six year old child.

Some of the most intellectual conversations I have had in SL have been with individuals using child avatars. 

I think the key to such discussions is in finding the right people, not so much the right places. Read profiles looking for signs of intelligence, find ways to separate yourself from the typical SL crowd, so those here for deeper conversation don't assume the worse about you and refuse to talk to you. Get out put in the legwork. What you want is valuable and worth working for. 

• Like 5

On 5/27/2024 at 10:45 PM, Arwyn Quandry said:

My recs are to participate in the aspects that interest and inspire you on these levels, and the people you meet who are doing it too may be the kind you would want to have these types of discussions with along the way, . Because like irl. I’d never attend a ‘deep discussions/debate group’, but many are the nights I’ve watched the sun set and rise and set and rise in SL way into the wee hours of the RL night in deep conversation with a group or even with someone I’ve met just pursuing the things that are interesting for me. I think building context and connection with people first builds the environment where these discussions happen. Photography is a good subject, universal, lots of groups, entry level is always fun, they do field trips, etc. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 6:44 PM, BillFletcher said:

Read profiles looking for signs of intelligence, find ways to separate yourself from the typical SL crowd, so those here for deeper conversation don't assume the worse about you and refuse to talk to you. Get out put in the legwork. What you want is valuable and worth working for. 

This right here. This is golden advice, especially the part about seeking for signs of intelligence. One of my main ways of knowing if someone is worth having an intelligent discussion with is whether they bring up their own thong underwear as if it is significant to the conversation in some way. If this does not happen, chances are we can actually have an intelligent discussion.

Appearances can be deceiving, too. Any potato-headed buffoon can get someone to walk them through how to put on an expensive suit and some fancy hair. If their profile doesn't provide enough evidence of brain activity, you sometimes just have to take your chances and engage them to find out.

Worth it, though. The abundance of horse poop is proof that there is a pony somewhere. You just have to find it, is all.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 6:50 AM, PheebyKatz said:

they bring up their own thong underwear

This made me think there are probably a few dozen highly intellectual treatises, dissertations, and the like, about the cultural, societal, sociological, narcissistic, et al. values of thongs, or their health benefits or detriments, and they might just want to discuss whether you think that health insurances should give a discount or on the contrary take more from members who regularly wear them, and if you think that dressing differently in SL than RL undermines your RL authenticity, also if health insurance should be allowed to add thong wearing frequency to the forms their members need to fill out, or... 🤔

But yes, it's probably usually a good pointer 😄

On 7/16/2024 at 4:54 AM, InnerCity Elf said:

This made me think there are probably a few dozen highly intellectual treatises, dissertations, and the like, about the cultural, societal, sociological, narcissistic, et al. values of thongs, or their health benefits or detriments, and they might just want to discuss whether you think that health insurances should give a discount or on the contrary take more from members who regularly wear them, and if you think that dressing differently in SL than RL undermines your RL authenticity, also if health insurance should be allowed to add thong wearing frequency to the forms their members need to fill out, or... 🤔

But yes, it's probably usually a good pointer 😄

Actually, any of that would be a gigantic red flag to me, but yeah. XD

• Haha 1