How does a stalker constantly find out where I live in sl and sneaks in to take personal pics?

Hepzibah Ellsmere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone. I have this long standing feud with someone in sl. I live on a private island which i keep very secret. But somehow this person manages to find out where it is, sneaks in to watch me and take personal pics of me which she then splashes on her profile. I have recently moved again for the third time. And just yesterday got a message that they are gonna find me no matter where i run to. I just wonder does anyone know how this is possible...or is there a way of hiding ur location in sl from stalkers. Thank you.

Thanks you guys. Ive tried all those things. The very last incident...I was in my skybox at about 3000+ height. The avi, obviously an alt, landed and within 5 mins had a pic of me and sent it to me. I know it was an alt cos it had been created just that day. I do suspect that someone I trusted may have leaked the location to her. So I'm taking extra care in this new place I got and ensuring no one but my baby knows where it is. Although I have received an Im from someone saying they were gonna find me anyway that it was so easy to do. We will see.

Remember there is a difference between knowing that you are online, and knowing where you are.  Calling cards, and numerous "on line indicator" devices, or just checking in groups that you and your target belong to, will do the former.  I don't know of anything except detective work, knowledge of your habits, and a bit of luck that will do the latter.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I do not need a tracker for you. At least not if I have your calling card: I will always know when you are online and I don't have to chat you and it doesn't matter if you are hidden away in your preferences.

While this might have been true at some time, it isn't currently.  I have the calling card of one of my alts but I had de-friended her a few months back for some permissions testing.  When she logs in, her profile does not show her online.  The only way I can see her online is in a couple of groups that we have in common.  Likewise, she has my card but sees me as offline via my profile.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The important information that a stalker might want is in your feed and in the picks in your profile. 

I had someone use my picks once to figure out some groups that I belonged to - because my group list was hidden at the time - and by joining one of those groups, could easily see if I was online or not.

Someone else used a scripted object rezzed inworld that told them when I logged in and out.

As others have said, a variety of methods can tell someone if you are online or not.  However, finding you should be much more difficult - assuming you aren't frequenting known locations.

Even if you have ban lines up and avatars outside parcel are not visible: ban lines only go up to about 60 or 70 meters. Once that high anyone can hover over your land. Once hovering over your land they can now see all avatars inside the land. THUS: set security Orb to be at 50 meters high and the range of 1K meters above and below. That is the only way to have "proper" security on your land.

Pretty much correct.  General banlines, such as the ones that appear when you set your land to group or to whitelist only access, extend 50 meters above the terrain.  Bans against specifically named people, the ones on your ban list, go up to 5,000 meters.  I'd set general banlines, ban the stalker and all known alts by name, limit teleports to a specified arrival point, and have a security orb located in my skybox covering the entire parcel in X and Y directions, and whatever its maximum range is in the Z direction.

ban lines only go up to about 60 or 70 meters.

Normally, but on private estates we have the option (and I always do this on my estates for my tenants privacy) to make ban lines infinate height with the "Block Parcel Flyover" option. Other standalone island estates might consider turning that on if you ask and explain the reason.

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.c6fb110f6d341a1f27e3296b89968290.png

Ban lines are also infinate when the avatar is banned in the parcel tool, except you need to know who they are, so not great for stalkers.

Another common leak point is photos in your profile. In many cases you can click these and see who uploaded them, that information leaks friends/alts who might have further breadcrumbs to your location.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While this might have been true at some time, it isn't currently.  I have the calling card of one of my alts but I had de-friended her a few months back for some permissions testing.  When she logs in, her profile does not show her online.  The only way I can see her online is in a couple of groups that we have in common.  Likewise, she has my card but sees me as offline via my profile.

The calling card itself will always show when you're online - it is separate from the profile. As for how it can help track others, there are a few ways - some may still work, others may not - LSL scripting can be used rather creatively.

12 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Normally, but on private estates we have the option (and I always do this on my estates for my tenants privacy) to make ban lines infinate height with the "Block Parcel Flyover" option. Other standalone island estates might consider turning that on if you ask and explain the reason.

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.c6fb110f6d341a1f27e3296b89968290.png

Ban lines are also infinate when the avatar is banned in the parcel tool, except you need to know who they are, so not great for stalkers.

Another common leak point is photos in your profile. In many cases you can click these and see who uploaded them, that information leaks friends/alts who might have further breadcrumbs to your location.

I've owned several estates myself and aware of this, though I figured it's a general discussion so I contributed a general description. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The calling card itself will always show when you're online - it is separate from the profile.

Is that in the SL Viewer or maybe some others?  I checked in Firestorm last night and the calling card didn't give any indication of online status.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

LSL scripting can be used rather creatively

Indeed, but not to track you unless you are wearing some sort of scripted device or enter an area with a scripted sensor of some kind.  In any case, LSL cannot do anything with a calling card.  It is extremely easy to write an LSL script to tell whether you are in world -- those are used all over the grid for many legitimate reasons -- but not to tell where you are.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Is that in the SL Viewer or maybe some others?  I checked in Firestorm last night and the calling card didn't give any indication of online status.

It shows in Firestorm also - but only if they are actually online. Here is a screenshot from my Firestorm Calling Cards folder I took just now:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 6.02.09 AM.png

On 1/29/2018 at 7:05 AM, Alyona Su said:

It shows in Firestorm also - but only if they are actually online. Here is a screenshot from my Firestorm Calling Cards folder I took just now:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 6.02.09 AM.png

Interesting - I don't have the same result in Firestorm.  When my alt is my friend, the calling card will show online status.  When I unfriend the alt, with the alt still logged on, the calling card immediately loses the '(online)' indicator.  My alt does have the firestorm Privacy setting of "only friends and group know I'm online", thus that is the result I would expect.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting - I don't have the same result in Firestorm.  When my alt is my friend, the calling card will show online status.  When I unfriend the alt, with the alt still logged on, the calling card immediately loses the '(online)' indicator.  My alt does have the firestorm Privacy setting of "only friends and group know I'm online", thus that is the result I would expect.

Yes, this is the correct behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2018 at 4:14 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

That could be (friend and group) - it used to show any, though that may be only on the LL viewer. It's moot for me because I keep a meanly-pruned friend list and have no interest in stalking others, myself. :)

3 hours ago, gabriialle said:

Another way they do it is by giving a linden. They then go to transaction history, where it tells them where u were at that time. Creeps me the heck  out.

While this might have worked in the past, it does not now.  I just tested with an alt.  I had her block me and then paid her L$1.  What my transaction history shows is MY location at the time of the payment. I TPd around to a few places, paying her L$ a few times and the tran history consistently shows my location every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14-3-2018 at 11:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

While this might have worked in the past, it does not now.  I just tested with an alt.  I had her block me and then paid her L$1.  What my transaction history shows is MY location at the time of the payment. I TPd around to a few places, paying her L$ a few times and the tran history consistently shows my location every time.

Did you also test this for a not-blocked and not-friended account?

9 hours ago, JaJanna said:

Did you also test this for a not-blocked and not-friended account?

Just tested that:  My transaction history still always shows where I am at the time of the payment; not the person I am paying.  The person I paid is not a friend and has not blocked me.  Side note - their transaction history also shows my location at the time that I made the payment.  So basically, the transaction history always shows the location of the sender, not the recipient.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/01/2018 at 9:18 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

While I don't know of any devices or exploits (other than a tracker on your person or on your land) or RLV, that will let a person know your location, let us assume there is one.  You can still keep your stalker from taking pictures of you.

I just wish to add that RLV (either Marines Viewer, or RLVa as shipped in Catznip & Firestorm etc) do not provide any inherent method to track anyone. RLV is about restricting what you can do in your own client, such as fly or detach things.

Some scripted toys that use RLV, typically collars, may provide a way to send a location information to another specific user, but it's typically limited to a specific keyholder. Anyone who has RLV toys in play will know exactly who this is.

In RLVa viewers, from the top "RLVa" menu, the active locks floater will display what items are active at any given time.

--

On the subject of the OP being tracked. The simplest method does not depend on technical magic, the OP's stalker is someone the OP knows and trusts well enough to inform of her location either directly, or as this was from 2011 .. good old friends list map rights. The alt of my stalker is my best friend and all that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

On the subject of the OP being tracked. The simplest method does not depend on technical magic, the OP's stalker is someone the OP knows and trusts well enough to inform of her location either directly, or as this was from 2011 .. good old friends list map rights. The alt of my stalker is my best friend and all that.

This!

Social engineering is by far the most common method of finding someone.  A skilled detective/spy/stalker can make it appear that he's hacked deep in your computer, when in fact he is merely very familiar with your habits or has an alt informer you don't know about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.