Community Roundtable May 20, 2024

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ah so at home?  I was just confused and she did say Mobile Only.  I just don't see a whole lot of users coming in and being mobile only users.  

Me either honestly, but I think that's probably due to my bias. If I had to use mobile only I'm not sure you could keep me in SL. But, as I've mentioned before, I'm shocked that my son uses his phone, Ipad, and consoles for nearly all his tech. He does use a laptop for work, but that's just for work.  So dunno. I'm not going to try and second guess the future. I'll get it wrong. I'm just open to the possibility that what I consider the norm now might be like phones that hung on the wall or an old fashioned camera. So many things that I thought would never go away are already long forgotten.

Edited by Blush Bravin
grammar
  • Like 2

One thing not mentioned related to mobile that I would love to see would be SL available in a cloud service like Geforce Now or Boosteroid. Being able to run SL on high end hardware in the cloud from a laptop or tablet would also be a nice thing to have. Granted, it would probably be the standard SL client, but still a nice option. I use the hell out of Geforce Now for gaming even though I have a high end gaming pc, plus it is nice to play Diablo IV in bed on my iPad with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Me either honestly, but I think that's probably due to my bias. If I had to use mobile only I'm not sure you could keep me in SL. But, as I've mentioned before, I'm shocked that my son uses his phone, Ipad, and consoles for nearly all his tech. He does use a laptop for work, but that's just for work.  So dunno. I'm not going to try and second guess the future. I'll get it wrong. I'm just open to the possibility that what I consider the norm now might be like phones that hung on the wall, or a old fashioned camera. So many things that I thought would never go away are already long forgotten.

I guess I just don't need connected to anything or anyone that much that I'd need to use my phone for it.  I don't need entertained 24/7 by SL or inane games on my phone.    My phone, I use as a phone and on occasion, a reader.  That's it.  Very few people even have my mobile number as I do not want to be bothered if I'm out and about doing errands.  I've never been a phone chatter anyway.

I do have a Kindle Fire which I do use to read email and browse the internet if I'm not at my desk BUT it's not the one with mobile connectivity.  It's strictly an AT HOME device.    I like technology, too.  I just don't feel the NEED for it in my case.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

2. /me and, I think, others enjoy shopping at inworld events and stores. The merchants require payment... which to Apple is called an in-app or in-game purchase. Apple insists upon a cut. See Epic Games v. Apple for an example of how this is working out.

Ok someone mentioned earlier (Zal?) that the cut would only be when actual currency is used, not on content purchases. I suppose that would make inworld purchases subject to the Apple tax? Would MP purchases then be exempt?

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I guess I just don't need connected to anything or anyone that much that I'd need to use my phone for it.  I don't need entertained 24/7 by SL or inane games on my phone.    My phone, I use as a phone and on occasion, a reader.  That's it.  Very few people even have my mobile number as I do not want to be bothered if I'm out and about doing errands.  I've never been a phone chatter anyway.

I do have a Kindle Fire which I do use to read email and browse the internet if I'm not at my desk BUT it's not the one with mobile connectivity.  It's strictly an AT HOME device.    I like technology, too.  I just don't feel the NEED for it in my case.

If you're a stay at home mom or housewife then ok but some of us are not at home or like being glued to a computer chair for our whole inworld time. Really comes down to one's particular use case. I don't play any other games on my phone but have found it very convenient to have inworld access even when I am out and about or doing activities around the house that don't need my undivided attention, So I can still chat with my partner when I am doing some gardening or other types of chores.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

So dunno. I'm not going to try and second guess the future. I'll get it wrong. I'm just open to the possibility that what I consider the norm now might be like phones that hung on the wall or an old fashioned camera. So many things that I thought would never go away are already long forgotten.

It is the way things are headed

Of course, a desktop is many times more powerful, but for a lot of people their phone provides more than enough power to get what they want accomplished.  The downside, is unfortunately, Apple and Google getting more control over our software, plus less privacy, more ads, and all of that fun stuff.  

I personally love my cellphone, I use it for all kinds of things (even as a phone sometimes, but rarely) It is my camera, my food journal, I use it for a side gig to earn money, I am always using the flashlight, I use it for measurements, GPS, price matching when shopping, watching movies, everything you can think of.

But the day they take mah PC from me, is the day they pry mah keyboard out of my cold dead hands 🤣

Oh and probably the coolest thing I would want to do with my phone as of late:

I think laptops and desktops are here for the long haul though, at least I hope they are.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I suppose that would make inworld purchases subject to the Apple tax? Would MP purchases then be exempt?

MP or anything else done via a website is out of Apple's domain, so yes, exempt.

If you are inworld via an app on an iOs device (e.g. the new Mobile viewer on an iPad), then Apple requires a 30% cut of any in world (in game) purchase of a digital asset. This will be the case for the mobile viewer unless Brad negotiates to reduce or eliminate the 30%. (If this happened, it would be jaw dropping)

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

One thing not mentioned related to mobile that I would love to see would be SL available in a cloud service like Geforce Now or Boosteroid. Being able to run SL on high end hardware in the cloud from a laptop or tablet would also be a nice thing to have. Granted, it would probably be the standard SL client, but still a nice option. I use the hell out of Geforce Now for gaming even though I have a high end gaming pc, plus it is nice to play Diablo IV in bed on my iPad with it.

I think some have done this. There is one cloud gaming service that just gives you a Windows desktop on a VM with some decent resources to do what you may with, I can't remember the name of it though... I just remember some people on forums saying they were using it for SL.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

13 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

@Zalificent CorvinusSo when you first started posting more I thought your approach was rude and crass. Most likely because some was probably directed at me. ;)

What I see now is your posting style is "lay out the whole truth with no sugar on it"  Most of your posts are spot on to what is really going on or what the end game is.  People refuse to see it though.  Some of the posts in this thread are just CRAZY talk but people will refuse to see it and in the end blame it on something else.

All they can hope for is that you die and can't come back and prove them wrong. *thought about not posting that part but WTH. lol.

She comes off as she hates everything, unless it falls into what I want in SL. And if you disagree with me, I will character attack you into oblivion. Sure she doesn't sugar, but I mean like coffee is very hateful and negative. 

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Ok someone mentioned earlier (Zal?) that the cut would only be when actual currency is used

No, not me, I know that Awful Mac want 30 % of everything.

When you spend $100 on shopping tokens on the Lindex, Awful Mac want 30 %.

When LL charge you a $15 Transaction fee on that, Awful Mac want 30 %.

When you pay tier on your mainland parcel or maintenance on your estate region, Awful Mac want 30 %.

When you pay for a new last name, Awful Mac want 30%

When you pay L$10 to upload a texture, Awful Mac want 30 %.

When you pay L$30 a week to LL to list you parcel in search, Awful Mac want 30 %.

It's 30 % of all money paid to LL via the app.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I think some have done this. There is one cloud gaming service that just gives you a Windows desktop on a VM with some decent resources to do what you may with, I can't remember the name of it though... I just remember some people on forums saying they were using it for SL.

It is possible to install it in a remote system, and it does work, but something like Geforce now is a bit different - think Netflix. It is just a different approach.

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's 30 % of all money paid to LL via the app.

If they opened their browser and accessed their account page, they could buy it then through there rather than the app. So no apple tax.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If they opened their browser and accessed their account page, they could buy it then through there rather than the app. So no apple tax.

Side stepping the Apple tax will get your app banned. They expect 30% of everything  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Side stepping the Apple tax will get your app banned. They expect 30% of everything  

Then it only makes sense to stop the IOS viewer and focus on Android. If they push the IOS mobile viewer the ones on that can pay the premium for L$.

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So you're saying if I open my browser on my iPad and went to the SL MP, they'd want 30% of any purchase I made even if I wasn't using the mobile app at all?

We've got another problem with user retention and I hit it today

> Create a new Second Life account
> Start making new look
> Bald
> Go to hair store
> Get kicked back out because account is not old enough

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the block of adult rated regions using Mobile...

The lab have responded via Second Life Feedback portal saying that "We understand your concerns and we are considering all options".

Would love to know what the possible options might be ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Im still trying to imagine being a noob, signing up on mobile and logging in for the first time.

Id log on, land whereever brand new noobs log in these days, stand there for a few minutes, nothing happens, I’d go this game is b***sh** , quit and uninstall.

Then l’d tell all my friends what a  crap game Second Life is.

Congrats LL, you just lost someone that might have stayed if they had joined on a computer.

😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added words, fixed things
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So using an Iphone does not let you use Google Chrome browser to access the SL websire?  And the Apple browser charges 30% fee unless there is a separate agreement, as in Amazon purchases?   Why would anyone ever use the Apple I-phone.  Are there really that many stupid companies in the world?

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Would love to know what the possible options might be ? 

Option 1

Drop all plans to distribute the MobileLife Fail-Viewer via Awful Mac ( 30% tax no adult stuff ) or Google (15 % tax no adult stuff ) app stores. Distribute only via their own web page, that their hypothetical targeted new mobile only users will never visit, because LL's marketing department couldn't market fresh air to people addicted to breathing.

Option 2

Just drop the whole MobileLife Fail-viewer concept as a colossal waste of time, effort, and money.

Option 3

Struggle to keep the concept alive, charge us extra to cover the Awful Mac Tax, watch us leave in droves, see the platform fail.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Option 2

Just drop the whole MobileLife Fail-viewer concept as a colossal waste of time, effort, and money.

I tried it actually mobile yesterday.

They are not prepared for the feed back when this goes to all premium members that's for sure.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.