Community roundtable questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:
14 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Over on the other thread there's some mention of glTF scenes, which I think will change a lot about how we even conceive of in-world creation

GLTF scenes kills in world creation, we are left with an overly complicated pick and place tool that's burdened with useless UI for legacy content.

I suspect a smaller percentage of residents will want these scenes, and that the majority will prefer more customizable environments.

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I suspect a smaller percentage of residents will want these scenes, and that the majority will prefer more customizable environments.

The majority will never rez a prim on purpose.

You're forgetting all those who live in Bellisseria.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're forgetting all those who live in Bellisseria.

I don't mean erz furniture or things .. I mean, right click on the ground and pick build.

To make a prim cube. Intentionally.

Most people don't create inworld with prims anymore as it is.  They either buy content on the MP and create a design with it, or import their own mesh to create a design. So I don't understand your focus on prims. 

You said, initially, that these scenes will kill inworld content creation because nobody will rez a prim, but few create content with prims anymore.

The issue is...will most buy these scenes and feel fine about not adding to them in any way?  I don't think a majority will do this, so no need to worry that these scenes are going to affect inworld creation as it is right now.

Edited by Luna Bliss

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Over on the other thread there's some mention of glTF scenes, which I think will change a lot about how we even conceive of in-world creation—especially as model geometry and materials are increasingly AI-generated.

This is an important point. For years, we've been thinking in terms of something like Blender Lite or SketchUp or something users could use in-world. That may be an idea from the past. The future may look more like Meshy, or 3Dfy or Magic3D or Spline., - type in a prompt, get back a 3D model. Most of that stuff looks like video game content, but that probably reflects the training set. (Can LL use existing user-created content as a training set for a neural net? Unclear from the TOS.)

That would allow creation from mobile, too. You can't draw on a phone.

• Like 3

On the subject of "Prims are Dead"..

1) ..Aren't Mirrors and Probes Prims? 

2) ..When I have to add Local Lights because it's too dark inside now with PBR, I generally add them to an (invisible) Prim..

Are these edge cases for when Prims are still needed? Or, could I just have easily used Mesh objects (if I had suitable mesh objects)?

Using a Mesh object for #2 seems a bit overkill since I just need a light..and it doesn't need to "come from anywhere"..

59 minutes ago, animats said:

type in a prompt, get back a 3D model. Most of that stuff looks like video game content, but that probably reflects the training set. (Can LL use existing user-created content as a training set for a neural net? Unclear from the TOS

A thread was nuked from this forum recently, for suggesting that an Artificial Idiot could be used to copybot SL content by "training it" with demos off the MP, with the intention of allowing every cheapskate moron to "create" anything and everything, for free, and put every merchant in SL out of business.

And rightly so, SL doesn't NEED any more Artificial Idiocy assisted Zero Talent ripoff content spammers.

1 hour ago, animats said:

we've been thinking in terms of something like Blender Lite or SketchUp

No, "we" haven't, you might have, a few technically clueless people might have, people who know what they are talking about just laugh.

The unholy trinity of viewer "improvements".

Simplify the viewer to suit people with IQ scores like an EU shoe size, add a bleeding edge commercial quality mesh editing and creation tool to it, AND make sure it STILL looks EXACTLY like viewer 1.23.

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.