Modesty Patch Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That sounds like something an uncle three sheets to the wind would say out loud so that everyone can hear it, to a niece that he hasn't seen in awhile, in her training bra, to embarrass her at a family function..Then all the aunts turning to team up on him to shame him for being a bad uncle..

At least that's what I've heard anyways.. Yep yep uh huh

Found it!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well, a lot of the time, Linden Lab gets a bad rep (unfairly or otherwise) for allegedly not listening to the Community, so it's only right and proper that I and I hope others here can commend Tommy, Keira and the others for truly listening to the valid concerns expressed with the original proposals, taking those concerns away to be discussed and returning with significant improvements. The nature of SL and the wider internet (and life in general) being what they are, of course not everyone will be satisfied no matter what is done, but these amendments are a whole lot better than the first set of rule updates.

And of course, even the first set of rule updates had overall the right intention, even though the implementation and logistics hadn't been perfected yet. I hope we can all agree that sexualisation of under 18 year old presenting avatars is not welcome in SL and that intelligent regulation is actually to the benefit of minor avatars too, as well as sim owners.

My close relative whom I referenced before, who plays the teen avatar, had no intention whatsoever of sexualised activity, but was so genuinely scared of being accidentally sanctioned due to not being able to fully implement the (previous) rules that he was considering ageing up, just to make the problem go away. He would like to thank you for letting him continue with his choice of SL without that anxiety. He's going to make an adult version of his avatar anyway, just to be able to access any Regions that would be off-limits for his "main avatar", but at least that is a choice rather than an imposition.

Edited by Leonardis Ducatillon
typo correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Akeruka has toddler heads (EvoX) half off right now. I have one child head from Akeruka I got practically free already. 

I kind of want to make an EvoX child avatar now, but I don't want to have to buy a mesh child body. Maybe I'll see if the Akeruka child heads fit on Senra Jamie or if I can age down one of the Lelutka gift heads I have.

I tried on a demo of the child body skins at Akeruka, & they have modesty covers on them already. 🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I kind of want to make an EvoX child avatar now, but I don't want to have to buy a mesh child body. Maybe I'll see if the Akeruka child heads fit on Senra Jamie or if I can age down one of the Lelutka gift heads I have.

I've seen people using maitreya for their child avatar, but I personally couldn't size that body down enough for my liking. It works great for teens but not younger ages imo. I also had a lot of trouble with getting AK heads to match my (child av) body skin. I never did figure it out so gave up.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:14 AM, Sadvhi said:

Starting June 30th, tweens and teens who are using adult mesh bodies are going to have to switch to one of the child mesh bodies to be compliant. If creators don't make skin with modesty layers baked in for adult mesh bodies, anyone aged 11-17 is going to appear to be prepubescent due to having to use the child avs instead.

Sorry, but you are absolutely and completely dead wrong. This is misinformation. There has never once been anything said about this. No one is required to switch bodies and no age is being prescribed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Sorry, but you are absolutely and completely dead wrong. This is misinformation. There has never once been anything said about this. No one is required to switch bodies and no age is being prescribed.

I think you were both right in a way.

No, they weren't previously requiring anyone to switch bodies, but if you used a downsized adult mesh to portray a teen character, the chances of there being a skin avaialble that has the baked-in modesty layer that would have made it compliant would be very low, and I'm not sure but there may be "geometry" issues regarding female anatomy for meshes like Maitreya. Therefore, previously a teen avatar in a down-sized adult mesh body in effect would either have had to age up or age down (with a kid/tween mesh) to be compliant, since there would be baked-in modesty layers to their skins, unless the unlikely scenario occurred of the major skin makers making specific teen skins for the adult mesh bodies with modesty layers built in.

However! The updated rules however allow BOM underwear, which makes things a whole lot more possible. Now, people in theory should not have to switch bodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I wrote this before the TOS was updated to allow people roleplaying teens to use adult mesh bodies as long as they wear BOM modesty layers. Prior to the update, they said anyone roleplaying under 18 would need to wear a skin with a baked in modesty layer.

• Like 3

• Lindens
On 6/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, brodiac90 said:

While you're here, Keria, could you perhaps clear up the question and answer for toddler avatars and the chest modesty layer? The Question makes it seem like you guys are only talking about toddlers and infants (which you mentioned at the May 9th Governance meeting) but the answer implies it could also apply to older prepubscent avatars. Is the exemption for the chest modesty layer only for toddler avatars or anyone under 18 who does not have any female attributes on the chest?

Hey brodiac90,  like I said before we did not put an age limit on that point intentionally.  A good deal of what we look for when reviewing an abuse report is intent, and we're really trying hard not to be heavy handed with this because we truly don't want to stifle anyone's creativity. I'm not going to address specific cases for the reasons I have mentioned in several places before. I think everyone can use their best judgement in situations like this, and if a report comes in we will first be looking at educating and informing (both for the resi and for ourselves) unless there is a clear TOS or CS violation found in the investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Don't be scared"????

THAT IS TERRIFYING!!!!! 😮

It's not so much scary as it is nauseating.  But, some people like it...somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So can we use whatever body we want and alpha/BOM the "geometry" or are we required to have a body without geometry?  

I am not trying to nag the question, but HOW do i plan how to look without this info?? 

TBH I don't like the Tweenster, it makes my arms look like weird rubber noodles.

And the serna Jamie, I don't even know how anyone made a shape for a kid out of that, it makes me look chubby with concave chest and Giant bubble butt. I'm trying but it's killing me. Im serious! I look like a monster from hell. Like one of those ancient griefers got me with the deformers! 

As far as i know these are now the only 2 options to tweens? DId i miss something?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sydelle Zanzibar said:

So can we use whatever body we want and alpha/BOM the "geometry" or are we required to have a body without geometry?  

I am not trying to nag the question, but HOW do i plan how to look without this info?? 

TBH I don't like the Tweenster, it makes my arms look like weird rubber noodles.

And the serna Jamie, I don't even know how anyone made a shape for a kid out of that, it makes me look chubby with concave chest and Giant bubble butt. I'm trying but it's killing me. Im serious! I look like a monster from hell. Like one of those ancient griefers got me with the deformers! 

As far as i know these are now the only 2 options to tweens? DId i miss something?

You could try Tweeneedoo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

You could try Tweeneedoo.

Thanks Brodiac I do have that body, i left it  because of lack of clothing. If i have to I will have noodle arms, I get it if it's the rules -- I will. 

But what i really really want, is to know the answer to this question about the rules. Cause despite my frustrations and little bit of complaining, other people will need to know too. All the teens for example. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sydelle Zanzibar said:

While these are not ideal mesh bodies for making a child avatar, Belleza Isis, Freya & Jake include a modifiable version that can be retextured to be child-safe. I've used a free script from the MP to strip off the onion layers, but I also made the mesh nipples on my female bodies transparent, so they won't show. 

Just now I rezzed a copy of my Belleza Jake modifiable body, renamed it, Right Clicked it & chose "Wear" inworld, then Edited it while my guy alt was wearing it. You have to Edit the Body, then select "Select Face" to Edit parts of the pelvis. When you get the lower body Texture, change it to None, then either transparent or some other texture from your inventory.

Edited to show Default wood texture (NONE)

6-2-24Child-SafeBellezaJake_004.thumb.jpg.9184cb1ad787d9e80e509ebf3030de05.jpg

6-2-24Child-SafeBellezaJake_005.thumb.jpg.509063b56e64ec891930037774d03dd7.jpg

Edited to show default Transparent texture

6-2-24Child-SafeBellezaJake_003.thumb.jpg.3e9c664cebf2a2f37c05109a95aecc22.jpg

6-2-24Child-SafeBellezaJake_002.thumb.jpg.2ba356e468e1e905c2ac8cd8b99d7fcf.jpg

Edited to show Library Linen texture & wearing a BOM pair of jeans

6-2-24 Child-Safe Belleza Jake_008.jpg

6-2-24 Child-Safe Belleza Jake_009.jpg

You could use a proper clothing texture too, but once the mesh body is edited in this way, you can't really wear BOM clothing over the edited part. (The texture that allows BOM to work will be gone from this part.)

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main problem is twofold:

1. Most mesh bodies for female-bodied individuals are sold without mod permissions.

2. Most mesh bodies sold with potentially-sexually active, adult females in mind, have actual genitals modeled into the crotch (unlike with most male mesh bodies, which anticipate a separate attachment).

So while you can paint panties onto the skin or BOM (painties?).. you'll end up with a cameltoe of the worst kind. Almost every female mesh body comes with this genitalia modeled into the crotch, with the only exceptions I know being Tweenster (which is made for kids) and Senra.

The only mod bodies I know of are Kemono and Reborn. Both of which feature prominent labial folds and (optional) mesh nipples.

While Kemono (and some other bodies) offer the ability to 'hide' that geometry, it's not at all the same as 'not having it'. LL's been very clear about this point.. it can't be 'optional' for a kid's avatar.. and you can't have 'accentuated naughty bits'.. and if that's not accentuated, I don't know what is.

It's unclear whether an end-user modding their body to remove the offending geometry is an acceptable compromise.. and it has been suggested that the methods employed by LL to 'investigate' the avatar's state at the time of a reported infraction may be limited to what they can call up from the asset server that you were recorded as wearing at the time, which may well be limited to your skin files (hence the original statement about the undies being 'painted on' to the skin rather than BOM'd on.)

Much the same as child avatars live with some question as to whether hand-editing a furniture item/vehicle to remove adult content is or isn't considered acceptable.. or if the furniture/vehicle is forever tainted by the contents it shipped with from the maker.

• Like 3

It was the cameltoe I was avoiding, that and not wanting to break BOM. So I searched all day and settled on TeenTurf. The body is acceptable in the crotch geometry and has clothing known to fit. Hopefully much of my twenster clothing will still fit and some other main body brands were listed a known to work with alphas.

I also found today that the free Ruth Avatars and Lucy body(if you get the BOM addon) also have no cameltoe. So they could work so long as you have a modest skin, but like the senra, I found them difficult to shape into a shape that looks kid like with all the curves. Maybe some shapes experts could do it without making them look like deformed aliens. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sydelle Zanzibar said:

It was the cameltoe I was avoiding, that and not wanting to break BOM. So I searched all day and settled on TeenTurf. The body is acceptable in the crotch geometry and has clothing known to fit. Hopefully much of my twenster clothing will still fit and some other main body brands were listed a known to work with alphas.

This is one of the advantages that AVIL would have held.   There are two parts to the body, a mature and and kids.  The kids is barbie smooth the other is 'realistic.'  So, you can wear ether or nether.    Which is what I do.   I just don't bother with that piece.    

• Like 2

I realize the changes to the rules will inconvenience some people, but at the same time I think it'll help a lot of other people breathe easier for various reasons, sim owners especially.

Plus, I won't feel like I have to explain myself anymore for insisting on changing avatars when visiting someone in an A-rated sim. I can just say, "rules, so wearing the potato avatar".

Having official policies on all of these things should clear up a lot of ambiguity for a lot of people, and make SL a lot more of a stress-free environment for a lot of people who otherwise might have all kinds of concerns about all kinds of things.

It also makes me feel a lot less silly about wanting to make my own custom mesh avatar body with built-in, mod-but-unremovable "granny panties". Now I might actually make the dern thing.

XD

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

It also makes me feel a lot less silly about wanting to make my own custom mesh avatar body with built-in, mod-but-unremovable "granny panties". Now I might actually make the dern thing.

XD

This is on my bucket list too.  I've been toying with the idea of making my own avatar for several years now.  I just never got around to it.   With my own body being unfixable and I'm not really finding any inworld body I like making my own is moving to the top of the list.  

I really like my AVIL because it's me, but the creator nipped out about a year ago.  We are working on trying to make it compliant, but I don't see that happening.   So, until I make my own, I have to find something new.

I've looked at several, tweenster, rebirth, and now tweendeeoo.   So, far they all have had something I didn't like about them.  Still looking.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

This is on my bucket list too.  I've been toying with the idea of making my own avatar for several years now.  I just never got around to it.   With my own body being unfixable and I'm not really finding any inworld body I like making my own is moving to the top of the list.  

I really like my AVIL because it's me, but the creator nipped out about a year ago.  We are working on trying to make it compliant, but I don't see that happening.   So, until I make my own, I have to find something new.

I've looked at several, tweenster, rebirth, and now tweendeeoo.   So, far they all have had something I didn't like about them.  Still looking.   

I love the Rebirth avatar (mostly because it scales well at a small size and my clothes/hair still look normal on it) and have practically everything ever made for it, and usually just use alphas or wear tights with the "bits eraser" enabled, but yeah, now I either have to make all of my favorite outfits over again to fit a reskinned-for-extreme-extra-modesty Tweenster avi or make my own body and just start making all of my custom outfits to fit it instead.

It's tempting to just go all the way and switch to being a sentient doll. Nobody ever questions whether a sentient doll's underwear is removable or not. At least nobody that survives the movie.

So yeah, it's an inconvenience, but I still think it's a major step in the right direction for LL and everyone else. I like the new FAQ thingy too, it actually makes all of the policy stuff pretty clear, so people don't have to worry about things like whether they could be banned because some streaker ran by and someone screencapped it, and all that nonsense.

I'm totally okay with the changes. Just need an avatar that's not capable of being seen naked, whether it ever would be or not. Pretty sure I can manage something by June 30th if I try. Worse comes to worst, I can beg my home sim's owner for a loan.

At least uploading your own avatar is cheaper than buying one. And I can upload a boatload of clothing for the cost of one outfit on the MP.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.