So what changed in the Terms of Service?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"I am upset because my 10 year old boy/girl can't run around naked on a beach full of naked adults."

That always seemed kind of sketchy. And you know when naked children and adults are together, one of them will be asking the other for some fun time

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And what do you base that on? There have been reports of femboys being banned and one club I visit on occasion, quite a few less then normal.

I haven't seen many femboys get banned, sorry that you have though.

Let me tell you why they won't come after kawaii adult avatars, because the vast majority inworld is apart of that, especially Reborn avatars. A lot of reborn avatars. Cute doesn't = child, as well. 

They would be getting rid of Crybunbun,

Mewsery,

Lunar,

Facs

Insomnia Angel,

C.K

Rosier,

S0ng

and similar stores like that that all built their brand on cuteness with an adult look.

That would be a huge lose of funding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure I understand why people who represent as children should be jumping ship, to be honest?

Because they feel like they are being targeted and punished for something they had nothing to do with.  And they have a point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

There is sufficient uncertainly and anxiety that it's hard to feel safe in SL as a child avatar on a good day. This is not a good day. There are new rules, they are vague in areas of compliance. The news is spreading very slowly and everyone is afraid for their ability to continue participating in SL.

No one I know with a child avatar is doing ok today. Not a single one.

I think you're missing  that those who play a child avatar often have more demanding emotional needs.

This is exceptionally complicated and involved.

They can't even work the problem as they have no idea what the mandatory modesty layer might need to look like.

This! I have literally been worried all day. I've been in second life with my child avi for 6 years. In that time I've investeda huge amount of time, effort and money into my clothes, hair, skin etc. It shouldn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway just so there is absolutely no confusion, but I actually agree with the spirit of the rules. Children should be protected, those who break the rules should be banned and burned. No one hates those types of kids more than genuine kid avis. 

Give us a chance to comply is all I ask. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Starberry Passion said:

Let me tell you why they won't come after kawaii adult avatars, because the vast majority inworld is apart of that, especially Reborn avatars. A lot of reborn avatars. Cute doesn't = child, as well. 

Mewsery,

Lunar,

Facs

Insomnia Angel,

C.K

Rosier,

S0ng

and similar stores like that that all built their brand on cuteness with an adult look.

You're quite the expert.

• Haha 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of course a Neko will be fine.

So will 90% of anime or Manga avatars.

This is an irrational panic.

It's becoming abundantly clear you don't actually know anyone who mains a child or anime avatar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

Mewsery,

Lunar,

Facs

Insomnia Angel,

C.K

Rosier,

S0ng

Maybe its just me, but I like to think I'm kinda cute. Should I be worried?

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"I am upset because my 10 year old boy/girl can't run around naked on a beach full of naked adults."

What child avatar ever is actually saying that? Has anyone in this thread? I certainly haven't seen anything like that. In fact, I was one of the people agreeing that those beaches were awful places and that I and many others avoided them like the plague. 

All the kid avis I've spoken to are worried they're going to be effectively banned come June 30. That is literally the only thing we care about right now. 

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh yeah, you'll only lose 10% of your friends list directly to bans. No big deal, anime avatar user!

You don't have to worry about getting banned, there's only a 1/10 chance it'll happen to you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of course a Neko will be fine.

This is an irrational panic.

It's becoming abundantly clear you don't actually know anyone who mains a child or anime avatar.

It's because Scylla............oh wait I shouldn't psychoanalyze on the forum...

• Haha 1

I've been reading this discussion about anime avatars since I joined Second Life. Some people are really paranoid.

I've used anime avatar for years, as well as several friends of mine. We have visited dozens or hundreds of Adult sims in this time, many of them with explicit content, and shared space with many normies who may have reasons to report us if they have the mentality of "anime = child = report". Nothing happened to any of us in all this time, and the reason is simple: being anime doesn't make you a child.

You can make an anime avatar that doesn't look like a child (which is, in fact, the vast majority of cases), as well as you can make an anime avatar that looks like a child. One thing is not linked to the other. The same way, being cute/kawaii doesn't make you a child avatar either, and I can give the same example of sharing space with cute/kawaii avatars for years and nothing happened to them because they, simply, are not child avatars.

A child avatar is clearly a child avatar. Just search "child" in the marketplace, there you will see how a child avatar looks like. And get rid of that paranoid that pursues you for years.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

People are also just glossing over the fact of the chief concern that has been raised in this thread: The amount of money and time that people have put into their avatars (Up to thousands of dollars and up to over a decade of time) are possibly going to be destroyed because they simply can't comply with this new reactionary "baked in modesty layer" rule. The destruction of years and years of content. Of people's avatars that they have been crafting for a long time. Just up in smoke because of something they had nothing to do with.

Not a single person on the "pro-child av" side has brought up sex, nudity, or even really adult land except for the concern of being sent or trapped in an adult region.

The only people bringing up sex, nudity, and adult land frequently is the anti-child av side. (Not to mention the barely disguised allegations)

And to the people that reply "just buy a new av bruh", must be nice to be able toss away hundreds of dollars on SL on a whim lol. If you were put in a position were you may have to throw out a bunch of your personal SL history for something you absolutely had nothing to do with, you would all be just as pissed off as the child av's are.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Maybe its just me, but I like to think I'm kinda cute. Should I be worried?

To the wrong person, maybe. One of my friends went out of her way to be thicc as possible

strong cheek bones, sharp eyes, tiny irises and her boyfriend got extremely upset because she was short.

said he doesn't like she's now a child, when she was 6'3"

So it's really possible for you to meet someone who see's you as cute and get pissed over it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

What child avatar ever is actually saying that? Has anyone in this thread?

Yes. Someone mentioned earlier not being able to go the the family-friendly nude beaches. Many pages ago.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They can't even work the problem as they have no idea what the mandatory modesty layer might need to look like.

This is a completely valid point. LL needs to be clearer about this.

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is sufficient uncertainly and anxiety that it's hard to feel safe in SL as a child avatar on a good day. This is not a good day. There are new rules, they are vague in areas of compliance.

With the exception noted above, I still think these new rules clarify existing ambiguities. As I have said, if I represented as a child, I'd actually feel safer under these new guidelines. They are much less subjective.

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The news is spreading very slowly and everyone is afraid for their ability to continue participating in SL.

LL totally needs to do a better job of communicating this so that the rumour mill doesn't generate a panic. The misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread makes that clear enough, I think.

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I think you're missing  that those who play a child avatar often have more demanding emotional needs.

I am willing to accept that. I don't think it exempts them from rules designed to make everyone a bit safer, though. Again, maybe LL can do a better job of communicating and reassuring everyone that the sky is not falling.

But so far, here, the main objections I've heard to this is 1) skins aren't available (yet), 2) child avis can't go to adult rated areas, and 3) child avatars can't be naked.

None of those is onerous or insurmountable.

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is exceptionally complicated and involved.

I don't think the rules are, though -- such ambiguities that still exist, and such worries -- as for instance ARs -- existed under the old system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Asdrea Evergarden said:

I've been reading this discussion about anime avatars since I joined Second Life. Some people are really paranoid.

I've used anime avatar for years, as well as several friends of mine. We have visited dozens or hundreds of Adult sims in this time, many of them with explicit content, and shared space with many normies who may have reasons to report us if they have the mentality of "anime = child = report". Nothing happened to any of us in all this time, and the reason is simple: being anime doesn't make you a child.

You can make an anime avatar that doesn't look like a child (which is, in fact, the vast majority of cases), as well as you can make an anime avatar that looks like a child. One thing is not linked to the other. The same way, being cute/kawaii doesn't make you a child avatar either, and I can give the same example of sharing space with cute/kawaii avatars for years and nothing happened to them because they, simply, are not child avatars.

A child avatar is clearly a child avatar. Just search "child" in the marketplace, there you will see how a child avatar looks like. And get rid of that paranoid that pursues you for years.

Yeah, I've seen several anime avatars in human sims and nothing was wrong with them, they were just Anime avatars. Same with Furries, just cool and chill people, some furries were rude because they hate humans but that's beside the point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

And to the people that reply "just buy a new av bruh", must be nice to be able toss away hundreds of dollars on SL on a whim lol.

Hundreds of dollars for ONE avatar? You were ripped off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

OMG kids are so creepy. 
For God's sake, it will be a relief when they won't be wandering around naked or exploring adult areas.

Thank you Linden Lab!

Joke, sarcasm?

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:
13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The news is spreading very slowly and everyone is afraid for their ability to continue participating in SL.

LL totally needs to do a better job of communicating this so that the rumour mill doesn't generate a panic. The misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread makes that clear enough, I think.

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yeah, making everyone agree to the new TOS, doesn't mean they'll understand the changes.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Because they feel like they are being targeted and punished for something they had nothing to do with.  And they have a point.

I think it is a misreading to see this as a "punishment," even if the main burden is being born by those with child avatars.

This is mostly about LL protecting itself. It IS unfortunate that that is necessary, but I still maintain that none of these changes are particularly "punishing."

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure I understand why people who represent as children should be jumping ship, to be honest?

There is a nearly 2 month grace period here. There are lots of people making content for children's avatars -- I am sure there will be new compliant skins available for most relatively current bodies soon. I get that some are using very old bodies, but . . . well, I used to use mainly a Slink body, and had to switch over as it was abandoned by creators. It happens. You adopt.

Yeah, kid avatars won't be able to go to adult rated areas anymore. I'm not sure why this is a hardship, really? I haven't heard a really cogent and rational explanation for this. If the store you want to shop in is Adult, then use an adult body, and bring home a demo. Like most of us do?

And as for the "my child avatar can't be naked anymore" thing . . . yeesh.

Try saying this aloud, and ask yourself how it sounds:

Yes, it makes me wonder why they would actually be leaving, given that the new rules only prohibit sexualisation and sexual activities for child avatars. If that isn't something you are into, why would you leave, you aren't affected by the changes.

• Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.