Alienware user's, i need your help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just bought a Alienware M14x. When i try to tell SL to use my Nvidia GeForce GT 555M card it makes my other graphic card Intel(R ) HD Graphics Family operate SL. I want to know how to fix this so only Nvidia runs SL. Your help will be much appreciated. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

This question has come up before: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Alienware-M17X-Graphics-Card-1-5GB-GDDR5-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-460M/qaq-p/805907/comment-id/5349

This is what the poster writes:

Refer back if still in trouble.

It's function key + F7 to switch graphics modes between integrated and discrete but hers doesn't work right and there is nothing onscreen to tell you which mode you're in. Anyway, try it.

What she does is pull the battery out and the M17X will boot in discrete graphics mode and stay there even if battery replaced. The integrated mode is really only for when using the laptop on battery power or light use. On battery power in discrete mode, you're likely only to get 30 minutes of use.

You can also switch in the bios and indeed set it always to boot in discrete mode but that may not suit you.

If in Stealth mode, the M17X will switch off discrete graphics.

Keli Kyrie wrote:

This question has come up before: 

This is what the poster writes:

Refer back if still in trouble.

It's function key + F7 to switch graphics modes between integrated and discrete but hers doesn't work right and there is nothing onscreen to tell you which mode you're in. Anyway, try it.

What she does is pull the battery out and the M17X will boot in discrete graphics mode and stay there even if battery replaced. The integrated mode is really only for when using the laptop on battery power or light use. On battery power in discrete mode, you're likely only to get 30 minutes of use.

You can also switch in the bios and indeed set it always to boot in discrete mode but that may not suit you.

If in Stealth mode, the M17X will switch off discrete graphics.

Discrete, integrated, discrete, integrated  - you never know which one will come up next! Some call it...spontaneity

:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

• 2 months later...

I was having the same issue, and I managed to get it working. 

Here's what I did. I grabbed up this driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.38-beta-driver.html installed it, restarted, etc etc. NOW the tricky thing is, that when you start second life, your going to want to make sure its running under the Nvidia Graphics card, not the Intel. You can make sure by going into the Nvidia Control panel (right click your desktop, click NVidia Control Panel) and under 3d settings, go go Manage 3d settings. Then go to program settings and add Second Life and make sure you have it run under the Nvidia Graphics card. Now, When you start up Second life, you need to go into your preferences, then into your Graphics tab/button, and slide the slider all the way down to LOW. If you don't do this, Second life wont log in, it will always crash before you completely log in. after you have logged in and rezzed your avatar, then you may go and slide your graphics bar back up to however high you wanted it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.