How many of us are really actively build and testing mesh?

Gearsawe Stonecutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Once I found out how LL was going to screw the prim costs up it kinda took the wind out of my sails.  i haven't been doing much with blender or mesh the last couple of months. 

I was more oriented to things and less towards avatar attachements.  Now all my ideas are pretty well shot.

I am back on mesh since 2 months, mostly testing and reporting enhancement requests to the Jira. My initial enthusiasm about meshes has been replaced by a lot of concerns. But as always i keep saying "never give up" and eagerly wait for some positive signals (like this one, which makes me smile again: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Loki-s-Adventures-in-creating-a-mesh-object-for-SL/m-p/954439#M2474 )

Well, we will see...

I've been quietly trying things out, figuring out my required workflow for SL mesh creation etc. Enjoying it, although I am somewhat despondent at how the costing factor (prim equivalency, upload cost etc) are turning out. I have experimented with AV attachments (footwear), and looking into rigged clothing, as well as building an experimental 64x64 structure to see how the prim cost factor worked out (reasonable, but very "rubbery" depending on LL's costing whims of the day).

No reporting, although I haven't had any issues to comment about thus far. Just watching quietly to see how the costing eventually works out. Although it doesn't seem to affect the cost factor, I still take great pride in making my meshes as efficient as possible, in regards to server load etc.

I will definitely be using mesh, for private use especially, due to it being far easier to shape and texture when compared to standard prims and sculpties. I enjoy the total freedom it brings to my creativity, albeit at a potentially high cost - my creative freedom is worth more than upload and cost issues.

:matte-motes-smile:

I've uploaded a few things, got some sucesses. Mostly though, I go to login but need to download a new viewer so I don't bother. I don't report anything, not much little old me can offer there.

There's plenty of new names floating around the mesh forum and offering problems to solve. But for every one that posts, there'll be 100 just looking and waiting for the green flag.

Mesh competition will be fierce.

Gearsawe Stonecutter wrote:

I am currious as to how many of us are realy actively testing and building with mesh and reporting any problems or which seem like problems when they are found? Seems like I see a dozen or so. 

Building, testing, but not finding any issues that aren't already known. Finding one or two unexpected uses for mesh.

I have been actively learning the Mesh stuff since April, and archiving my progress in this thread. For many it's not a simple thing of just uploading your 3D objects to the mesh beta viewer. A lot have to learn a totally new and far more complex way of Modelling. And then you have to use viewer2. 

Quite a few have shrugged mesh off and said 'i'll wait until firestorm ads it", bonkers i know but thats they way it has gone.

On the plus side, it means us small few will have a good position in the new Mesh based market. :)

Well I've slowed up a bit now but was fully on the case for some months.

I reported some bugs that I thought worth bothering the Devs about most seem too trivial when they are still working hard on show stoppers and server stuff. With all our patience I am sure tuning and code clean up will iron out most problems and the whole system will continue to evolve.
Onwards and Upwards. You all Rock!

O' for more time off )

I have hundreds of models I created for the Blue Mars world, about evenly split between house parts and clothing, and I have tested a variety of other item types (rigged avatar, terrain pieces, plants).  At this point I am testing new viewers as each point release comes out (2.7.4, 2.7.5, ...), and reporting problems when I find them.  I'm waiting to see how the cost issue works out to see which of my items will be even feasible to market.  Right now that looks like avatar attachments only, since parcel rezzed items are heavily penalized relative to sculpts.

I have been doing small scale testing in the early days of the beta. After mesh client version exceeded 2.5.x though, i was no longer able to see the grid, since my friendlist and teleports instantly failed upon logging onto beta, and absolutely nothing rezed. I couldnt see uploaded meshes, only some avatars rezed after a while.

The problem also persists with most official viewers on the main grid atm, but 2.4.0 or firestorm can connect without issue. just 2.7.2 and such show the error. And since there are no alternate mesh-beta viewers i know of, Im officially locked out of further testing. JIRA has been filed long ago and a fix is being deployed soon apparently, but not for the beta grid, that i know of.

I tried to upload a test file, the street lamp. All worked fine. It says it uploads the file and i will find

it in my object folder but it isnt there.

Something is wrong but i dont know what.

:matte-motes-evil-invert:

Tina Capra

I have not been working the whole beta cause I was waiting till closer to the release date thinking all bugs would be worked out :D Its been fun seeing some of the final developments as they unfold o.0

I first determined a workflow to make sure textures and uploads were working and then have been mostly just working on stuff for my avatar and his gear! testing them along the way as I complete parts.

As far as filing JiRAs, any problems I have encountered as others have said, were either my fault, already filed as a problem and being worked on or something with connection to the grid, once connected with model upload available all uploads worked fine :D I haven't been uploading oodles of stuff though mostly just avatar mesh and attachments

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.