SLplugin.exe a threat?

CarloLaCroix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While I was online in SL, I clicked on my tv just to play a music video and then my avg has detected a threat called SLplugin.exe. I moved it to the virus vault and now when i log back into SL, a notification poped up saying that the there is no media plugin. This never happened to me before the update. any suggestions?

Sorry for a late reply,

I don't know how to remove the plugin from a virus vault. My firewall quarantines programs.

Open your firewall go to the vault, highlight the SLplugin.exe and see what your options are.

You could ask the question "how to restore the plugin" here  at the Forum.

Unistalling the Viewer and re-installing it might prompt the Plugin. You should see a pop saying that the Plugin is attempting to access the internet, click allow and select always use this action.

I wouldn't trust AVG too much if it pops up notices expecting for your input instead of just doing the right thing.  You may be better off just logging in as a normal user, setting passwords, and keeping your Administrator account seperate from your day-to-day normal accounts.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

just got a new pc, and new avg. . .

i recieved a pop up on-screen warning 2 x now in SL - SLPlugin.exe - is a virus

The first time i saw it (in SL) i allowed it. . . SL played on ok till i logged out, however, my pc started throwing me off the internet after a few mins ever after. . . Luckily, i had just had a similar problem with Norton (nothing to do with SL), so knew how to fix the problem.

i ununstalled avg, keeping no parts of it, and let it take its vault with it. Then reinstalled. . .  No More Probs with internet. .

The second time i saw it, (in SL) i vaulted it. . . SL logged me out shortly after, and my pc would not allow me to access SL to log back in. . .  I uninstalled avg. . again. . (as above) then reinstalled it. now pc allows SL access. ..

My personal thought is that this problem nothing to do with SL (as with norton it happened without any warning) could be a deliberate ploy to panic ppl to buy full versions of anti-virus. so i am resigned to repeat this process again lol- good luck, hope this helps somebody ^:^

• 1 year later...

Found a mailware in the slplugin.exe using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org
effecting second life ,3rd rock, osgrid, hyper grids
every time i turn on the music player or the media player it trys to send out a code
tryed second life viewer, firestorm ,4.4.2 , 4.5.1 , 4.6.1

destination of out bound traffic
 Onclickads.net - Dallonica Ltd, Netherlands. Site Owner, Server Location for 78.140.132.26 - Webazilla B.v, Postbus 19115, 3501Dc Utrecht, Netherlands Netherlands.

• 2 months later...

Nad Gough wrote:

that's a rather serious (though unverified) report... no comments?

This is a three year old thread.

False positives still happen occasionally but that is all that they are.

It's basically over aggresive heuristic scanning, and a few AV programs are still really bad about it.

There have been multiple discussions on this topic.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig-up this thread again, but I ran with a serious issue the last few days: When connecting on SL (using the officiel viewer), I was having a radio stream comming from nowhere, and always starting with a long audio advertising. Stopping medias players from SL didn't help, I was still having this radio playing... it was driving me mad until I check the Windows audio mixer and found out that this contumacious radio stream was coming from slplugin.exe, and also that I was having several instances of this ♥♥♥♥ running.

Then I checked this plugin in my ProgramFiles > SecondLifeviewer directory... and I just saw that my slplugin.exe has no copyright, and no versionning!

This is very disturbing. Another thing is that since maybe one year I have some errors when installing SL updates, I have to choose 'ignore' each time to complete the installation.

So in my opinion, my slplugin.exe version is a bad one. I would not say 'infected' because it doesn't seems to be a virus and Windows Defender doesnt detect it, but I am pretty sure that it is a malware. And that it seems to be the same for a lot of other people when I see the forums and google results about it.

and btw you can check some informations about it here that seem legit: http://file.info/windows/slplugin_exe.html it says: "What you should know about slplugin.exe (Firestorm SecondLife and OpenSim viewer). File properties have not been internally documented by the producer or developer. This slplugin program does not have a visible window, and does not appear on the taskbar. Slplugin.exe is no part of Microsoft Windows. Slplugin.exe is capable of modify other Windows tasks as well as supervise programs. For this reason, 58% of all experts consider this file to be a possible threat. The probability that it can cause harm is high."

So what I will do right now is a clean reinstall of the viewer, with making sure that slplugin.exe is removed first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.