Lights! Shadows! Depth of Field! Unlock the beauty...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Alt Left Click.

That moves my camera though.

I want to change what spot in a scene is in focus, without changing where the camera is pointed.
:)

Yeah, I have the same question...haven't been able to figure it out, it totally moves my camera angle :(

Pussycat and Kylie, you alt left click on the spot you want focused, then to move your point of view around, you use the keyboard shortcut keys such as:

If you alt left click, keep holding down alt and also hold down Ctrl. Move your mouse around. Now try keeping alt down, Ctrl down, and add shift. So you have alt left clicked, are holding alt down, are holding Ctrl down, and are holding shift down and moving the mouse.

Alt left click Ctrl will move your Pov around while maintaining the spot focus, adding the shift will let you move up down, left right.

Try it and see if it works. Those are camera controls that are very useful while shopping, doing hunts, and exploring the world in general. 

Summary:

Hold down Alt + Left Click : Moving mouse keeps focus while moving view left to right inversely. Can also move mouse forward and reverse to move camera forward and reverse.

Hold down Alt + Left Click + Ctrl. Moving mouse moves camera up down left right in an arcing fashion.

Hold down Alt + Left Click + Ctrl + Shift. Moving mouse moves camera up down left right in a linear fashion.

Hint:

Keep Alt + Left Click held down while moving mouse, every once in a while press down on Ctrl while keeping the previous keys down to change angle while still moving mouse.  

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Alt Left Click.

That moves my camera though.

I want to change what spot in a scene is in focus, without changing where the camera is pointed.
:)

My previous post lets you get your focal point and then allows you to get the view you want while maintaining chosen focal point. If you are saying you want to maintain the camera position you have while being able to change focal point, you would have to somehow freeze the camera in place, for, as you said, alt left clicking moves the camera. There are probably scripted tools that do that. 

Charo, thanks for the previous tips.  I didn't realize all of that could be done :(  I will be sure to fool around more with the tips you gave and see what I come up with.

But also, this answer you gave....sometimes my camera is positioned a certain way and I already like the angle, etc...Then I decide it would make a good pic, so I enable DoF.  But of course when I alt click, it moves and for some reason, it's like I can never get back to that original place or angle...drives me nuts :(

Hey, here is something cool I came across just now while trying to find a way to do what you want, it is not the answer to your specific question, but it does describe something I didn't know about. It basically freezes the world so you can get a better shot in busy situations :)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/secondlife/discuss/72157600055309030/

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Charo, thanks for the previous tips.  I didn't realize all of that could be done
:(
  I will be sure to fool around more with the tips you gave and see what I come up with.

But also, this answer you gave....sometimes my camera is positioned a certain way and I already like the angle, etc...Then I decide it would make a good pic, so I enable DoF.  But of course when I alt click, it moves and for some reason, it's like I can never get back to that original place or angle...drives me nuts
:(

Right, I see what you and Pussycat are saying. I don't know of a way to keep the camera frozen in place while focusing on something. I imagine there would have to be a scripted camera tool that does that as I can see how very useful that might be for machinima and such. I will keep looking.

Ok, haven't tried this yet, but it sounds pretty simple. I imagine you would get that angle you want, then press a button to lock the scene in place and then focus on whatever it is you want without ruining the angle you had.

http://moriash.blogspot.com/2006/12/camera-lock.html

I'll jump in and go try it, if you get to it first let us know :) 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Eh, it's not doing what we are wanting to do, but it is doing what it was designed to do. Fun, I've never played with scripted cameras before
:D

Thanks for spending some time hunting this down.  Will get in this weekend when I have a few, to check it all out :)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Pussycat and Kylie, you alt left click on the spot you want focused, then to move your point of view around, you use the keyboard shortcut keys such as:

If you alt left click, keep holding down alt and also hold down Ctrl. Move your mouse around. Now try keeping alt down, Ctrl down, and add shift. So you have alt left clicked, are holding alt down, are holding Ctrl down, and are holding shift down and moving the mouse.

Alt left click Ctrl will move your Pov around while maintaining the spot focus, adding the shift will let you move up down, left right.

Try it and see if it works. Those are camera controls that are very useful while shopping, doing hunts, and exploring the world in general. 

Summary:

Hold down Alt + Left Click : Moving mouse keeps focus while moving view left to right inversely. Can also move mouse forward and reverse to move camera forward and reverse.

Hold down Alt + Left Click + Ctrl. Moving mouse moves camera up down left right in an arcing fashion.

Hold down Alt + Left Click + Ctrl + Shift. Moving mouse moves camera up down left right in a linear fashion.

Hint:

Keep Alt + Left Click held down while moving mouse, every once in a while press down on Ctrl while keeping the previous keys down to change angle while still moving mouse.  

Oh, also, you can let go of the mouse after you Alt left click. Just keep holding down Alt and use the arrow keys. Camera will rotate to left and right of focal point or zoom in or out.

Now hold down Ctrl at the same time. Arrow keys now rotate up down left and right of focal point.

Now add Shift. Arrow keys now pan up down left right of focal point.

So, without even using the mouse, you can spin and pan all over the place, still haven't figured out how to change focal point without moving the camera though.

OMG, I just used this and it is so awesome. You put this script in a prim, attach it to yourself, and tell it to lock by following the instructions in orange. Now, you can move your avatar around while your camera does not move, so much fun. (Still not the change focus without moving camera solution.)

From http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Ezian_Ecksol

Scroll all the way down to Cam Lock/Follow

Further reading has led me to believe that Alt Left Clicking on an object will override any script. The reason I think this is the following statement from here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Followcam 

"The script will control the user's camera as long as the resident doesn't override it (use Alt-zoom or enter mouselook, for example)"

End quote.

Alt zoom is what we are calling Alt Left Click, from here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Camera_Control

"Alt + Left mouse click is commonly referred to as "alt-zoom" "

End quote.

So, I imagine the camera to be a sort of actual camera that hovers in the air in various positions depending on what it is being told to do by user controls or scripts. Thinking of it that way, it would be impossible to change camera focal point without changing camera angle/view/position.

In :43 of this video, focus point does seem to change along the power cord, but it may well be through Camera Focus Transition time or some other DOF setting. http://youtu.be/ZeHIQuIXIRA

What I have always done anyways is like I said before, just focus on something then move your camera around, and if you need to focus on something different, just do so and then move your camera back using the keyboard and mouse. It would be cool though if we could change focal point without changing the scene. If I figure anything out I will let you know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.