Texture related issues still taking place after 10 months.

@Linden Lab Developers,

Ten months ago I filed a support ticket after receiving complaints about textures not properly rendering on mesh models. Customer support told me there was supposedly a Jira ticket about this and it would be fixed. We are ten months later now. I am still getting the same complaint how people their plants and trees textures are not properly displaying. It appears to me that the region or this particular RC server is setting the textures randomly from alpha blending to emissive mask. 

People go shopping and pay to purchase objects and then they need to manually fix these objects every couple of days because they revert to the wrong texture format. You did not fix this after almost a year now? I do not think it is normal residents need to continue to manually switch texture settings on their vegetation every couple of days because the region sets them to the wrong format. I really hope that you will create a solution for this software bug.

This happens on a RC region. 

Second Life RC Ferrari 2024-03-18.8333615376 

Garden_2.thumb.png.18de03e4bf4afe34da8e4537e7c79135.png

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

after almost a year now?

Way longer than a year. But it's not that there haven't been attempts to fix it. Apparently what happens is that textured surfaces are actually set to the wrong alpha mode by viewers visiting the region attached to avatars with permission to change the affected objects (usually their owners). As it was explained to me it's not exactly a bug so much as an unfortunate design of the messaging protocol that makes it possible for a network error to actually flip the bits controlling alpha mode on those objects. I imagine that locking them would reduce the likelihood of that happening, although that's just a guess based on that explanation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Way longer than a year. But it's not that there haven't been attempts to fix it. Apparently what happens is that textured surfaces are actually set to the wrong alpha mode by viewers visiting the region attached to avatars with permission to change the affected objects (usually their owners). As it was explained to me it's not exactly a bug so much as an unfortunate design of the messaging protocol that makes it possible for a network error to actually flip the bits controlling alpha mode on those objects. I imagine that locking them would reduce the likelihood of that happening, although that's just a guess based on that explanation.

I do not have permission to Modify the Objects of this resident. I received similar complaints from other residents on other regions, both full sims and homestead islands. Always the same thing with mesh plants and trees or vegetation. Even some mesh ocean waves being affected. 

FACT there is no excuse for this not being fixed. People buy plants, people pay for plants, people pay for their land so the plant needs to look and render properly on the land.

I used to tell people how they could fix their Objects or do it for them but now this is turning into a recurring issue where the textures seem to flip every couple of days so it needs to get fixed.

2 hours ago, Count Burks said:

now this is turning into a recurring issue where the textures seem to flip every couple of days so it needs to get fixed.

Now that I think about it, I was surprised to see this again a month or so ago, not having seen it for at least a year, on items only I can modify. Also, I use only recent viewers, so if a fix involved a protocol change that needed viewers to update to new messaging to prevent them corrupting rezzed content, I'd surely have that in any viewer I use. Trying to read through what remains of the old jira archive, I think they tried such a fix in 2021. One of the original 2015 bug reports survives in "[BUG-8715] [MAINT-RC] Material enabled objects with a diffuse texture set to alpha blending mode randomly (but often) change to alpha mode none locally. If the avatar that sees this breakage has modify rights over the objects, ALL observers see this change."

But a couple other things:

• This frequency of flipping every couple of days is very much different from anything I ever saw or heard of before, so I wonder if this could somehow be something new going wrong. Or something about this particular situation (content, object owners' viewers or networks, something) could increase its occurrence it might be a clue for preventing the problem. In any case I'd definitely suggest letting Support know that it's happening with that kind of frequency. 
  • Weirdly enough, the region where I saw this happen recently (Tussock) is also running RC Ferrari. That sounds like a coincidence, except… how many regions could be running that RC?

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Can this happen with changing physics of objects (none/convex hull/prim)?

Posted (edited)

Been talking to Linden Lab support about this. Support recommended using an official PBR Linden Lab viewer but that did not fix anything. These are grasses belonging to a linked Mesh Object from a well known creator. There are more grasses behind it (within the same mesh model) which render fine but others do not. It is like the server is setting particular textures on a section of the mesh model wrong. The simulator is now placed on the standard server code so no RC server is involved.

Support told me they have been taken copies of the affected objects to test them. Every now and then I see an affected plant or tree in world and from time to time a complaint but these people are really impacted by this so they are right to speak about this.

Garden_9.thumb.png.74a9673a917311b5b6e6580818bc0b71.png

Edited by Count Burks

I had that same issue on STRAND a year ago.  Never got fixed. This on NO MODIFY (but could change with hud so maybe that counts) bushes mostly and ONLY on SOME bushes, not others of the exact same variety.  It got so frustrating I just left the rental sim. 

NOTE that I didn't have any issue with this on my mainland half sim  OR "now" on a different rental plot. 

Just throwing that out there to add to this thread.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Linden Lab update after rolling restart today.

Update on the issue.

Today after the Rolling Restart the same people contacted me again. An even higher percentage of their trees and plants got affected by this bug again. What is interesting is that this happened just after the Rolling Restart but also the fact that certain of the affected plants which got damaged by this bug previous week are now fine and other plants and trees that were not affected by the texture bug now had their textures set to Emissive Mask.

It seems the issue is not related to the specific plants or the viewer but it is the simulator who is setting the textures wrong on the plants after a rolling restart.
This simulator has been placed on the normal Second Life server code since previous week as I asked support to do this.

I myself also have plants and trees on the region but none of them are affected.

You can forward this information to your programmers.

3 hours ago, Count Burks said:

@Linden Lab update after rolling restart today.

Count please direct these comments to a trouble ticket or a bug Report on Canny.  You are not going to get much reaction on here (apart from the ever watchful Monty) from The Lab.

This alpha texture issue has been going on for years without (so far as I know)any worthwhile resolution.

• Lindens
17 hours ago, Aishagain said:

You are not going to get much reaction on here (apart from the ever watchful Monty) from The Lab.

Yep, I've sent this along via internal comms but that's not the same as a tracked and visible bug report.  A Canny issue would be appreciated (either server or viewer bug - suspect both may be interested).  And everyone will have something they can monitor.  A quick search in Canny didn't produce a matching problem description though it did find a few (*cough*) alpha problems.  So a new issue is the way to get a bug fixed.

13 minutes ago, Monty Linden said:

Yep, I've sent this along via internal comms but that's not the same as a tracked and visible bug report.  A Canny issue would be appreciated (either server or viewer bug - suspect both may be interested).  And everyone will have something they can monitor.  A quick search in Canny didn't produce a matching problem description though it did find a few (*cough*) alpha problems.  So a new issue is the way to get a bug fixed.

Thank you for looking into the matter. I also opened a support ticket about this bug #2191800  . The reason for posting this here also in the forum is because I opened a support ticket about the exact same thing 10 months ago and nothing got fixed, it used to be the case one could manually set the texture correct and that would be it, but in recent weeks the simulator just randomly switches textures for no reason. The SLURL for the simulator where people are most affected in included in the ticket. 

Thank you for looking into this.

• Lindens
2 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

I also opened a support ticket about this bug #2191800  .

A support ticket is a fine way to get immediate attention on a local problem.  But it doesn't feed engineering activity like you may think (I can't even view support tickets).  Canny issues go directly into engineering and give devs the ability to ask specific technical questions as well as allowing the larger community to see the problem and add clarity (or confusion or just :popcorn:).

• Like 3