Getting that feeling again :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I suck at Greedy, too but my objective isn't winning but engaging with people while playing.  

That's a good point. When I play a game is SL, it's usually trivia. I really don't care whether I win or lose. The prize (if there is one) isn't big enough to make a difference anyway, and the whole point is just to have fun.  The same thing is true of the Linden Lab games like Paleoquest and Linden Realms. I know some people spend hours playing and they get really good at dodging all the perils. As far as I'm concerned, the L$ you get for winning isn't enough to get excited about. The fun part is avoiding the rock monsters and the booby traps.  If you get zapped by one of them, it's no big deal. The joy is in the chase, especially if you are around other players and can have a silly "Oh, geez!" moment when one of you gets caught.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

What operating system do you have on your PC, laptop? Creating an account on YouTube is simple, if you have already an gmail account. You log into YouTube, with that account.

YouTube account I have.  However, I don't think I have the components to record on there.  PC if you're wondering.

As to taking photos and setting up a blog... I wouldn't even know where to begin a blog.

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ok, I tried, too.  Since none of our ideas or advise seem to be what you want or need, perhaps talking to a trained professional would be in your best interest.  

https://www.mentalhelp.net/depression/hotline/

It's not RL depression that's the issue.  It's what I'm dealing with as it pertains to SL that's the issue.  I just see what everyone else is doing and I just end up giving up because eventhough they might not be the best... they're still better than what I could even do.  It doesn't matter if it's creating, writing, etc.

As I said before, I can't fix my RL because of my ESRD and being on home dialysis.  I can't fix the inevitable parts of my RL.

Edited by CaitlinParker

People don't get their skills from nowhere, it takes time and practice to get good at something, if you give up easily you won't get anywhere and that is the reality of it. Yeah it's not fun to not be as good at something as others, but you have to keep trying to get to the same level or further than that, once you get over that mindset you will start to enjoy whatever it is that you are trying to get good at. You will have to figure out what you have a passion for or really want to learn and go from there, don't beat yourself up or stress over it, it is not a contest of who is the best at something, it's the joy of doing that is the important part of it. 

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, CaitlinParker said:

It's not that I don't like to create stuff... it's that I just suck at it.  I tried Blender and ultimately ended up uninstalling it as I couldn't understand it.  

I used to know someone who was a real building wiz (he gave paid lessons in SL) and HE struggled with Blender 😖 So I wouldn't worry! It takes time and lots of practice...I used to think creators just produced these amazing looking things out of nowhere, which made me feel dumb too with my hollowed out box and accidentally sticking textures on the wrong faces...not realising they had to go through loads of headaches to get where they were!

I agree with Sid about not comparing yourself with others, just do it for the fun of it...If you can't make BB classes, you can ask questions in their group chat, it seems to run 24/7 with requests and explanations 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaitlinParker said:

As I said before, I can't fix my RL because of my ESRD and being on home dialisys.  I can't fix the inevitable parts of my RL.

Yeah, life does that.  My sister is dealing with a couple of nasty health issues and will be in a back brace the rest of her life, so I know how that works. You deal with the life you've got. At least in SL you can fall splat from high places and just pick yourself up as if nothing happened. We're not only young and nimble, we're indestructible, which is pretty cool

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

YouTube account I have.  However, I don't think I have the components to record on there.  PC if you're wondering.

As to taking photos and setting up a blog... I wouldn't even know where to begin a blog.

It's not RL depression that's the issue.  It's what I'm dealing with as it pertains to SL that's the issue.  I just see what everyone else is doing and I just end up giving up because eventhough they might not be the best... they're still better than what I could even do.  It doesn't matter if it's creating, writing, etc.

As I said before, I can't fix my RL because of my ESRD and being on home dialysis.  I can't fix the inevitable parts of my RL.

http://blogger.com

Theres nothing to it, just sign up and start writing.

I’d post a link to my blog but its adult.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I don't know if it's me or whatnot.  I know I'm frustrating some of you and I don't mean to, but I have tried.  I didn't just try them in a 24hr. period, I tried these things over time... over the course of a year or so.  Except for writing and blogging.  I was never good at writing stories and such; and I just never understood blogging.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

It's what I'm dealing with as it pertains to SL that's the issue.  I just see what everyone else is doing and I just end up giving up because eventhough they might not be the best... they're still better than what I could even do.  It doesn't matter if it's creating, writing, etc.

Creativity isn't about being better than others -- it's about playing with the elements of our life and enjoying the process of creation, and learning along the way.  We're focusing on that a lot in my Landscaping With Luna class (it's really about the process of creating anything, and not just landscapes).  You can join the Discord group here:  https://discord.gg/TnSz6yq7    I get that we want to be good at what we do...but it's a surefire way to ruin everything when you compare yourself to others.

I take this poetry class where we study an artist and then write a poem in 10 minutes about the artist and their work, and I write the dumbest little poems, so simple -- but I read them out loud anyway.  There's something so freeing about doing that -- just expressing myself without criticizing myself.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

The one and only thing 'creative' I do in SL is take.photos.  There are people, in fact LOTS of people, way way better at it than I am.  I don't try to compare what I do.with what they do.  I snap pics.  I don't edit them.  The fun is in putting on an outfit, roaming around various places to find a nice background, adjust the EEP just a bit for shadows and SNAP.   Done.  Post to Flickr.  Post to the forums.  I'm better than I was but not nearly as good as others.  I don't care.  It's fun.  It's always done alone.  I like alone for the majority of my inworld time.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, CaitlinParker said:

I'm starting to get that feeling once again.

You know, that feeling of depression when you feel that you're still that square peg, or left out because you're not creative... you know what I mean.

I've tried to play SL Games, but I just suck at them.  Clubbing... I got bored of it really quickly.  I swear that everyone gets more out of this than I ever will 😢.  I'll be honest, I just don't know what to do anymore.  My SL family has more fun than I do... I suck at Blender... I don't know.  I just... I just don't know anymore 😢

Have you tried blogging? I have so much fun doing it and its something I can do on my own!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to blogging 😖

No, seriously... I have no clue about blogs whatsoever.  I'm still somewhat old-fashioned.

Just think of it as magazine articles. Write about whatever you feel like, doesn't even really need to be about any specific theme or such.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaitlinParker said:

I'll be honest, I don't know if it's me or whatnot.  I know I'm frustrating some of you and I don't mean to, but I have tried.  I didn't just try them in a 24hr. period, I tried these things over time... over the course of a year or so.  Except for writing and blogging.  I was never good at writing stories and such; and I just never understood blogging.

It's perfectly fine, and 100% normal, if you really wanted to use this thread to just vent and weren't actually looking for advice.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 7:16 AM, CaitlinParker said:

I'm starting to get that feeling once again.

You know, that feeling of depression when you feel that you're still that square peg, or left out because you're not creative... you know what I mean.

I've tried to play SL Games, but I just suck at them.  Clubbing... I got bored of it really quickly.  I swear that everyone gets more out of this than I ever will 😢.  I'll be honest, I just don't know what to do anymore.  My SL family has more fun than I do... I suck at Blender... I don't know.  I just... I just don't know anymore 😢

try do rl activity seriously.

make friend with rl person.

do real acitivity

I always tell this to my sl friend if they are too deep involve with virtual world.

remember all in virtual world is NOT real.

the real adventure outside there in THE REAL WORLD

you only live once

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

3 hours ago, CaitlinParker said:

I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to blogging 😖

No, seriously... I have no clue about blogs whatsoever.  I'm still somewhat old-fashioned.

i usually just blog about whatever's on my mind. sometimes I add photos of things in SL, sometimes its just my thoughts! it can be whatever you want it to be! it also will begin to tell a story over time and that's kinda what keeps me doing it. continuing the story :) maybe give it a try? start with outfits or places you like and go from there!

• Like 1

To be fair, I second the notion that everything in SL has a learning curve, sometimes a steep one. I started out creating shapes in 2020, and my first uploads, presentations on MP, weren't that special at all , took several tries and tweaks before I dared to upload them, but gradually they improved, gave me more understanding about mesh items, the limits of them, so that I can easily make a shape for a head in one go (most of the times), help out other people who have issues with the working of particular heads and having the satifaction when you can help someone out.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

Well, I started a blog... sort of?  I only have the one post on there so far.
Caitlin's World

I just followed! You can also join the Blogger Network and share your work too! I ran into so much inspiration and so many other cool bloggers there. 

Well, I started a blog... sort of?  I only have the one post on there so far.

It's so pink!

1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

Just kidding, of course - good luck and happy blogging!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

It's so pink!

It's purple 😝

1 hour ago, pinkyyduh said:

I just followed! You can also join the Blogger Network and share your work too! I ran into so much inspiration and so many other cool bloggers there. 

I figured out how to follow people's blogs, I hope?  Ummm... Blogger Network?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

It's so pink!

Expand  

It's purple 😝

Orwar prefers black background with dripping blood color red text    :)   He's a vampire, after all.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

He's a vampire, after all.

I'm starting to feel like that's probably the worst kept secret on these forums.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.